Deleterious

2013 NBA trade deadline

Some players do. Some players don't.

This was pretty in depth. Stay tuned for my next post, "Some players are good. Some are bad."

Some players do. Some players don't.

More do than don't. And the ones that don't are usually the superstars who are in another stratosphere with mega contracts and other streams of revenue or veterans who are too old to get a long term deal and are looking to sign with a contender.

This will be Calderon's last long term contract. He would be crazy not take the best offer unless the difference is pennies.

More do than don't. And the ones that don't are usually the superstars who are in another stratosphere with mega contracts and other streams of revenue or veterans who are too old to get a long term deal and are looking to sign with a contender.

This will be Calderon's last long term contract. He would be crazy not take the best offer unless the difference is pennies.

I don't agree at all. But cant really back it up with numbers.

I doubt the Hornets are looking to give Gordon away without either getting cap space or good value in return. If they are going to take Charlie V, the Pistons also probably have to give them Greg Monroe.

Charlie V only has one more year at about 8 mil left on his deal. They save a ton of money dumping Gordon and I think Knight is a solid get for them. He'll fit nicely in a backcourt with Vasquez and Rivers. No way I give up Monroe. If they consider Gordon pure asset and that trading him is significantly more than a salary dump, I don't have much interest.

Here is how the conference finalists from last year acquired their talent.

If you played in the playoffs I counted you. This weeded out the 10 day contracts and what not.

I then counted your minutes played for the entire year.

Then I determined how the team acquired you. I broke that down into 4 categories.

All the players for that team in the free agent category had their minutes added together. That number was used against the teams total minutes played to determine what percentage of minutes that group played for the team. Rinse and repeat for each team/category.

Players like Norris Cole and Rondo were technically traded. But they were traded on draft night. IMO if you trade for a guy that hasn't played 1 second in the league, you drafted him. So they counted as drafted players.

Bosh and James were also technically traded. But they were sign and trades just so Cleveland and Toronto could get a little something back. They were both leaving via free agency and thats how I counted them.

Using Miami as an example. 50.1% of their total minutes last year were played by players they acquired via free agency. 20% via trades. 11.5% via the draft. And 18.4% via undrafted free agents.

nqsVB9d.png

Here is how the conference finalists from last year acquired their talent.

If you played in the playoffs I counted you. This weeded out the 10 day contracts and what not.

I then counted your minutes played for the entire year.

Then I determined how the team acquired you. I broke that down into 4 categories.

All the players for that team in the free agent category had their minutes added together. That number was used against the teams total minutes played to determine what percentage of minutes that group played for the team. Rinse and repeat for each team/category.

Players like Norris Cole and Rondo were technically traded. But they were traded on draft night. IMO if you trade for a guy that hasn't played 1 second in the league, you drafted him. So they counted as drafted players.

Bosh and James were also technically traded. But they were sign and trades just so Cleveland and Toronto could get a little something back. They were both leaving via free agency and thats how I counted them.

Using Miami as an example. 50.1% of their total minutes last year were played by players they acquired via free agency. 20% via trades. 11.5% via the draft. And 18.4% via undrafted free agents.

nqsVB9d.png

A small sample size but I would have a hard time arguing the Pistons best route is not to follow the Thunder/Spurs blueprint...especially now that they got Drummond.

Thanks for doing all the hard work and posting this, Deleterious.

There are definitely several different ways to build a mouse trap, and Detroit will need to grab its talent however it can the next few years. It is hard to emulate the success of the elite teams right now because, IMO, each club had its own set of circumstances.

-Boston drafted smart in landing Rondo and Pierce, then they drew in two HOFers who wanted rings in KG and Allen.

-the city of Miami was a draw with an established star in Wade. LBJ, the best basketball prototype I've ever seen, and Bosh, one of the best bigs in the NBA, decided they wanted to steal Boston's blueprint.

-OKC got lucky and drafted Durant, one of maybe five can't-miss college players I've seen, and caught lightning in a bottle with Westbrook and Harden. It is hard to get that lucky in consecutive years.

-The Spurs tanked a season once Robinson went down years ago and drafted Duncan #1, a future HOFer. The rest is built on the genius of Popvich via FA and value picks like Manu and Parker.

I really think the Pistons can build a winner again without that bionic superstar like LBJ or Durant. These two guys are two of the best basketball players I've seen since 1980. Without thinking too hard about it, LBJ is top 10 (top 5?) and Durant is in the top 15 (if not top 10).

The players are more incomplete coming out of college right now than ever, and I think there are guys out there who are all but untapped resources due to injury or circumstance who will go to a new team after their rookie contract runs out and play with chips on their shoulder. Tanking for the lottery just isn't what it used to be, there just aren't enough players coming out of college who have the tools to come onto an NBA roster and be the man right now for it to be the only good way to build a championship roster (IMO).

One guy that may be available soon in a trade that could turn a franchise around is Kevin Love. I don't think anybody outside of Minnesota believes he will resign there when his contract is up.

Maybe we could build a package around Monroe the way Boston built a package around Jefferson.

What would it take to get Kevin Love in a trade? I have no idea how he'd be valued exactly.

My idea for a deal involving Love would look something like this...

Detroit gets Kevin Love and the contract of Andre Kirilenko

Minnesota gets Greg Monroe, Jason Maxiell, Will Bynum and next years 1st

Not enough? Not the right pieces? Way too much?

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

NBA AM: Deals For Bucks, Pistons and Jazz? | HOOPSWORLD | Basketball News & NBA Rumors

Detroit Is A Player: The Detroit Pistons took part in the three-team deal two weeks ago that sent forwards Tayshaun Prince and Austin Daye to Memphis in exchange for Jose Calderon, who they obtained from Toronto. The move set the Pistons up to have more than $23 million in cap space this summer to re-tool their roster.

If the Pistons can off-load Rodney Stuckey and his $8.5 million player option for next season or Charlie Villanueva and his $8.5 million player option for next season before the trade deadline they could add to that number significantly.

League sources peg Stuckey as the easiest chip to move and there is a belief that Detroit is more than open to a deal involving one or both.

With so many ending contracts, there has also been speculation that Detroit would seriously entertain trading some of their own ending contracts like Jason Maxiel or Will Bynum if it could return one of the would-be free agents on their wish-list.

The Pistons have been linked to Hawks forward Josh Smith and Bobcats shooting guard Gerald Henderson; both are expected to be offseason targets of the Pistons, especially with so much cap space to play with.

The Pistons have been singing the song that they won’t go crazy with spending like they did in 2009 when they radically overpaid for Gordon and Villanueva. However, if Smith and Henderson headline the offseason shopping list, neither are going to come cheap.

One thing is clear: The Pistons are open for business. The question is can they find a taker for Stuckey and how much will they have to take back to make a deal happen?

Read more at NBA AM: Deals For Bucks, Pistons and Jazz? | HOOPSWORLD | Basketball News & NBA Rumors

Its hoopsworld, beware.

What would it take to get Kevin Love in a trade? I have no idea how he'd be valued exactly.

My idea for a deal involving Love would look something like this...

Detroit gets Kevin Love and the contract of Andre Kirilenko

Minnesota gets Greg Monroe, Jason Maxiell, Will Bynum and next years 1st

Not enough? Not the right pieces? Way too much?

I want nothing to do with Love.

He has 2 1/2 years left on his contract so Minnesota is under no pressure to trade him. Meaning if they do look to move him now, they will be seeking maximum value in return. If this was February 2015 and they felt he wouldn't sign with them again, his price would drop some.

The big problem I see with your trade is the draft pick. There is a chance next years will be going to Charlotte to complete that Ben Gordon trade. So I don't know if they can offer it in a trade to Minnesota. Understand I am not saying they cant. I'm saying I'm not sure if they can.

NBA Salary Cap FAQ

When dealing with protected picks, the Stepien rule is interpreted to mean that teams can't trade a pick if there is any chance it will leave the team without a first round pick in consecutive future drafts. Suppose a team makes a trade in 2011-12 that conveys a first round pick sometime from 2012 to 2017. The pick is protected only if it is the first overall pick from 2012 to 2017, and if it is not conveyed by 2017, the other team gets cash instead. In other words, in order to avoid sending a pick from 2012 to 2016, the team would have to win the first overall pick in the draft lottery five seasons in a row. Even though the likelihood of this happening is essentially nil, the team is not allowed to trade its 2018 pick.

Here is the Charlotte trade details:

NBA Future Drafts Detailed - RealGM

2013 first round draft pick to Charlotte

Detroit's own 2013 1st round pick to Charlotte (Top-14 Protected in 2013 Draft, top-8 protected in 2014, top-1 protected in 2015 and Unprotected in the 2016 Draft). [Charlotte-Detroit, 06/26/2012]

Am I reading that correctly? The Pistons pretty much can't trade any 1st round picks until A) The Charlotte trade has been fulfilled or B) The year 2018?

Barbosa just went down. Now the Celtics are absolutely devastated in the backcourt. Would they want Calderon, Stuckey, Knight, or Bynum?

The only player they have that interests me is Avery Bradley, but I can't see them trading him now. Unless maybe they do Stuckey + Bynum for Bradley + pick?

Fab Melo is slightly interesting. Calderon + Stuckey for Bradley + Melo + pickS doesn't sound too bad. They're never gonna re-sign Calderon anyhow...

Edited by Elevate

Report: Bobcats working to trade Gordon after incident with coach | ProBasketballTalk

As Dunlap led the Bobcats in a morning shootaround on Monday before a victory over the Celtics, Gordon refused Dunlap’s request to stop bouncing a ball as the coach spoke, sources said. Before long, Gordon began baiting Dunlap, telling him that he needed to “humble himself,” sources said….

“Beyond disrespectful,” was how one league source described the scene.

Pistons should take him back for Charlotte's unprotected 1st round pick this year. :classic: