Sign in to follow this  
Todd

the pistons draft

Draft Needs: Point guard, center

Top Candidates: Rod Grizzard, Carlos Boozer, Tayshaun Prince

The Skinny: The Pistons came within two ping-pong bounces of getting the Grizzlies' pick. They'll have to wait on that for another year and hope they get lucky at 23, which is to say, real lucky. Anyone who saw their series against Boston knows that Detroit needs: a decent point guard. Chucky Atkins is serviceable as a backup and Damon Jones is lucky he's in the league. But, at 23, who's going to be there of any skill or consequence? Probably no one. They could also opt for a scorer like Maryland's Juan Dixon, who knows how to play in big games. The Pistons did display a painful lack of scoring ability against the Celtics (see: Game 3, 66-64.) Or they could even go foreign, although they have a ready-made foreigner who could be there next year in Mehmet Okur from Turkey. They also could look at their interior defense and maybe take a flyer on a big man who needs time and patience, both rare commodities in the NBA. They're likely to lose Dana Barros to free agency and they have to decide what they want to do with Jerry Stackhouse, whose contract is up soon. Chances are they want to keep him around, Boston series notwithstanding.

the pitson first round is:

Tayshaun Prince

FORWARD | (6-9, 215) | KENTUCKY | COLLEGE STATS

Season Averages

YR GMS MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS

2002 32 33.3 17.5 6.3 1.6 2.0 1/1.2 1.1 1.3 1.6 .467 .703 .340 1.27

Season Totals Rebounds

YR GMS MIN FGM FGA FTM FTA 3PM 3PA PTS OFF DEF TOT AST TO STL BLK PF

2002 32 1065 206 441 83 118 65 191 560 67 135 202 52 64 34 43 51

Notes: Tayshaun Prince came back for a senior season that ended with him being named first-team All-SEC by the Associated Press and league coaches. Prince was also second-team All-American by the NABC and third-team All-American by the Associated Press.

Prince was the only Wildcat to start every game in 2002, leading UK in scoring (17.5 ppg) and rebounding (6.3 rpg). Ranked third in the SEC in scoring and tied for 10th in rebounding. His highlight reel game came against Tulsa in the NCAA Tournament, where he poured in 41 points on 14-of-21 shooting. Prince was 6-of-8 from 3-point range and added nine rebounds, four assists, three blocks and didn't turn the ball over in 37 minutes. It was the most points scored in the NCAA Tournament this past season and he averaged 23.7 ppg in the three NCAA Tournament games.

Prince finished his career with 1,775 points, placing him seventh on the UK list. Also finished second at UK in made and attempted 3-pointers and fifth in blocks. Named SEC Player of the Week twice during the 2001-02 season. Dominated North Carolina, scoring UKs first 15 points with threes on five straight possessions. Posted seven first-half 3-pointers, tying the school record for threes in a half, en route to tying his then-career-high 31 points. Added 11 boards.

Started the year as a first-team AP preseason All-American after being named second-team All-American by the AP and the USBWA as a junior. He also made the 10-member Wooden All-America team in 2001. Swept AP and coaches 2001 SEC Player of the Year honors. Made first-team All-SEC in both polls.

A McDonalds All-American out of Dominguez High School, Prince led his team to a 96-9 (91.4%) record during his three seasons, including the 1997 California state championship during his junior year. Finished his prep career as a finalist for the Naismith Prep Player of the Year Award and was voted a second-team Parade All-American. Also won the George Yardley Award from the L.A. Times as the best player in Southern California, joining a list that includes Baron Davis and Paul Pierce.

Positives: Prince is a good ball hander and pretty quick for his size. Uses his quickness to slip around bigger defenders in the post. Very smooth. Nice hops. Has the ability put the ball on the floor and penetrate to the basket. However, he usually settles for jumpers with varying degrees of effectiveness. Has a seven-foot wing span.

Negatives: It's time Prince put on some muscle. He's still incredibly thin. Not a bad outside shooter, but streaky. Scouts worry about Prince's shot release. He's got a very slow release that leads to a lot of blocked shots. Scouts thought he'd have a much harder time getting his jumper off at the pro level.

Summary: Prionce must make the transition from power forward to small forward in the pros. Prince's production has dipped when he's moved from power forward to the three. If Prince can't get off his own shot, he's in trouble at the next level.

Guest E.J. Smith

Good post, Todd. My gut feeling is that the Pistons are targeting Andre Miller. He would be the perfect complement to Jerry Stackhouse in that Andre's a penetrator and a distributor plus he can light it up in his own right. I agree that Chucky is a back-up at best. Watching Kenny Anderson school him in the playoffs rammed that message home. I thought Dana Barros was retiring?

I believe Stack will remain a Piston. The team needs to take the load off him by developing a balanced front court and another option fromt he perimeter. A guy like Andre Miller gives them the latter.

Admittedly, Stack was pretty weak against Boston but it didn't help that Boston could play a 1-2-2 zone the whole series, they didn't have to cover Ben Wallace (because he couldn't hit a three foot jumper to save his life) and every time Stack touched the ball there was someone in his face. Losing Zejko didn't help.

I would love to see the Pistons make a run at Miller, but I'm not sure they have the young, athletic players or frontcourt bruisers that Cleveland needs in return. Rodney White is probably the most attractive player the Pistons would be willing to deal.

I see Miller going to the Clips for Wilcox (whom the Cavs coveted in the draft) and another player or two.

if the pistons need a point why not give Rashad phillips a shot

Dumars probably thought Prince was the best player available and he might be right. I see him as a small forward for the pistons unless Stack or Barry are shipped out. We really need another point guard. Andre Miller would be great and I fully expect Dumars to make a run at him. The free agent class is weak so we shouldn't even waste time there. Do you think Joe D. would actually trade Stackhouse?

Rodney White and Prince would be some good trade bait as well as the Memphis first round pick. Cleveland seems to really want Lebron James in next years draft so why not make their chances better by giving them a crappy teams draft pick(grizzlies).

We still need another guy that can bang inside. Hopefully Okur will be good but he is not a big, physical body.

Joe D. has done a great job so far and I'm sure he'll continue to do so.

Todd, the pistons dont just need any point guard, they need an upgrade. They have to be better than Dana Barros, Chucky Atkins, and Damon Jones. Rashad Phillips could make the team, but he isnt going to play.