Gozer

Enjoy life after the NFL Titus...

I would rather not diagnose or dismiss a mental illness online. If that is what you guys are into, have at it. I just think it is irresponsible to do so.

I didn't dismiss the possibility of a mental illness in the slightest. I was simply stating the fact that if he has a mental illness he did not do everything in his power to help himself overcome his mental illness. When professional athletes get hurt they don't get sent to the roach infested urgent cares, they go to the Dr. Andrews' of the world and get the best of the best treatment. I don't think that Titus Young has a mental illness that is unmanageable by the doctors that the Detroit Lions organization and the NFLPA have access to. If that makes me a bad person, so be it. But if Titus Young really did have a mental illness, he could've sought help, that's all I'm saying.

Edited by EchO

I didn't dismiss the possibility of a mental illness in the slightest. I was simply stating the fact that if he has a mental illness he did not do everything in his power to help himself overcome his mental illness. When professional athletes get hurt they don't get sent to the roach infested urgent cares, they go to the Dr. Andrews' of the world and get the best of the best treatment. I don't think that Titus Young has a mental illness that is unmanageable by the doctors that the Detroit Lions organization and the NFLPA have access to. If that makes me a bad person, so be it. But if Titus Young really did have a mental illness, he could've sought help, that's all I'm saying.

All I am saying is Titus may have sought help and not received it, or received the wrong kind of help. He may be dealing with issues that are not easily “solvable” and he may not have the support around him to help him deal with it all. There are a million different things that could be going on, simplifying it to “he is an a-hole, and if he is mentally ill he should have done something about it” is incredibly myopic.

All I am saying is Titus may have sought help and not received it, or received the wrong kind of help. He may be dealing with issues that are not easily “solvable” and he may not have the support around him to help him deal with it all. There are a million different things that could be going on, simplifying it to “he is an a-hole, and if he is mentally ill he should have done something about it” is incredibly myopic.

All I am saying is that thinking that Young desired help and between his millions, the Lion's millions, and the NFLPA's millions they couldn't find a single doctor on this Earth that could adequately medicate and handle his condition is incredibly myopic. Young had the very unique circumstance in which his employer would have been willing to give him the absolutely best treatment that money could buy, how many other people will mental disorders have that luxury? You can continue to think Young is a victim, I refuse to do that and that is fine, we will simply have to agree to disagree. People with less support get help with mental disorders every day, I highly doubt Titus Young is some special, one-in-a-million case.

Edited by EchO

All I am saying is that thinking that Young desired help and between his millions, the Lion's millions, and the NFLPA's millions they couldn't find a single doctor on this Earth that could adequately medicate and handle his condition is incredibly myopic. Young had the very unique circumstance in which his employer would have been willing to give him the absolutely best treatment that money could buy, how many other people will mental disorders have that luxury? You can continue to think Young is a victim, I refuse to do that and that is fine, we will simply have to agree to disagree. People with less support get help with mental disorders every day, I highly doubt Titus Young is some special, one-in-a-million case.

I never said Young is a victim. I said we do not know the full story and no one knows his mental health status. For that reason it would make sense to back off the rhetoric of him being a horrible human being and an a-hole.

I never said Young is a victim. I said we do not know the full story and no one knows his mental health status. For that reason it would make sense to back off the rhetoric of him being a horrible human being and an a-hole.

Despite him doing things that would classify any non-mentally ill person as a horrible a-hole. Okay, so as long as there is suspicion of mental illness even if that mental illness is willfully ignored and left untreated by his own accord, that is a get out of jail free card to do whatever the hell you want and get arrested as many times as you want without any public relations backlash or negative opinions being broadcasted over message boards. Gotcha. Makes sense. :ponder:

Despite him doing things that would classify any non-mentally ill person as a horrible a-hole. Okay, so as long as there is suspicion of mental illness even if that mental illness is willfully ignored and left untreated by his own accord, that is a get out of jail free card to do whatever the hell you want and get arrested as many times as you want without any public relations backlash or negative opinions being broadcasted over message boards. Gotcha. Makes sense. :ponder:

Yeah, that is the part I don't get. DC313 is seemingly using the "maybe a mental illness" as a straight forward trump card and that anyone who is says he may just be an a-hole is irresponsible. Doesn't make any sense.

I agree all the way with you EchO

Makes sense to me that when a columnist reports that a person stopped taking their medication, and that person is involved in a lot of self-destructive behavior, that you at least consider there may be some mental health issues. And if you consider that, it is a good idea to back off the rhetoric that trashes the guy without knowing the facts.

Makes sense to me that when a columnist reports that a person stopped taking their medication, and that person is involved in a lot of self-destructive behavior, that you at least consider there may be some mental health issues. And if you consider that, it is a good idea to back off the rhetoric that trashes the guy without knowing the facts.

Your compassion and empathy is applaudable, if not also potentially misguided. Lets end this, we will clearly never come to an agreement on the matter and furthermore Titus Young will most likely never be an NFL wide receiver again so it really required no further conversation.

The same could be said for you. When there is no evidence, one way or the other, it is best not to throw around mental health as the cause of troubled behavior.

The issue is that at least two media outlets mentioned in this thread -SiriusXM NFL Radio and whichever outlet Drew Sharp works for (I don't live in Detroit anymore) - have reported that TY has a diagnosed mental illness.

I didn't bring up the SXM commentary on it to debate whether TY actually is mentally ill (he has done a lot of crazy stuff that I've seen other non-medicated bi-polar people do, but I'm not a shrink).

My questions in all of this are: Assuming TY has been diagnosed with a mental illness, when was the diagnosis? Was it before the draft? Is this something that would have been documented in a medical file NFL teams had a chance to review? Was Mayhew aware of the diagnosis?

If Mayhew knew of a diagnosed mental illness and still selected TY, I can't see how he is not immediately terminated.

The issue is that at least two media outlets mentioned in this thread -SiriusXM NFL Radio and whichever outlet Drew Sharp works for (I don't live in Detroit anymore) - have reported that TY has a diagnosed mental illness.

I didn't bring up the SXM commentary on it to debate whether TY actually is mentally ill (he has done a lot of crazy stuff that I've seen other non-medicated bi-polar people do, but I'm not a shrink).

My questions in all of this are: Assuming TY has been diagnosed with a mental illness, when was the diagnosis? Was it before the draft? Is this something that would have been documented in a medical file NFL teams had a chance to review? Was Mayhew aware of the diagnosis?

If Mayhew knew of a diagnosed mental illness and still selected TY, I can't see how he is not immediately terminated.

I am sure most teams would take Brandon Marshall, who has BPD. If Mayhew knew about his mental health issues but felt he was receiving the necessary help, that would be perfectly reasonable.

.....If you know that you have a mental illness and all you have to do to help you live a more "regular" life is take a pill once a day, why wouldn't you do that? ....

If you could discover the answer to that you could probably win a Noble Prize in medicine my friend. This particular question is an incredibly difficult issue.

Going completely OT here wrt Titus Young in particular---

The signature of many mental disorders is detachment from reality - often because of faulty perceptual processing. It's very easy to see why a rational person would take his meds. When the disease itself is flawed processing of what may be easily observed objective reality to every one else, the problem is a little more understandable.

Edited by Gehringer_2

If you could discover the answer to that you could probably win a Noble Prize in medicine my friend. This particular question is an incredibly difficult issue.

The signature of many mental disorders is detachment from reality - often because of faulty perceptual processing. It's very easy to see why a rational person would take his meds. When the desease itself is flawed processing of what may be easily observed objective reality to every one else, the problem is a little more understandable.

This is well put. One thing that has bothered me in this thread is how people are so simplifying mental illness into “just take your pills” and “at best he chose not to take his pills” and “he had the best doctors”. It is far more complex than that, and unless you are Titus Young’s doctor, you can’t really speculate on his situation.

I am sure most teams would take Brandon Marshall, who has BPD. If Mayhew knew about his mental health issues but felt he was receiving the necessary help, that would be perfectly reasonable.

Good point.

I was thinking (but didn't say) that it would be the final straw for me with Mayhew. It would demonstrate that his risk-taking as a drafter is reckless and has damaged the franchise.

This is well put. One thing that has bothered me in this thread is how people are so simplifying mental illness into “just take your pills” and “at best he chose not to take his pills” and “he had the best doctors”. It is far more complex than that, and unless you are Titus Young’s doctor, you can’t really speculate on his situation.

You have absolutely zero idea on the complexity of Titus Young's mental illness, throughout this thread you have made him out to be this one in a million case of severe mental disease. And you premised your entire argument on the fact that Titus Young has a mental illness and stopped taking his pills. If he was taking his pills and was more or less fine then he at some point had the mental capacity to take pills and for whatever reason decided to stop doing so.

If he stop taking his pills because of an adverse side-effect I would venture to guess that there is an alternative medication available. Don't classify me as over simplifying things when I am using your "facts" as the premise of my argument. He got arrested twice in a day and has been seemingly a douche throughout most of his adult life and you are simply going to chuck it all up to the fact that he has some incurable mental illness that now one can seem to comprehend or control. I don't think Titus Young and his potential case of bi-polar disorder is that unique and if it is as severe and unique as you claim it is, Mayhew and the Lions organization should have spotted it and the blame should be directed 100% on Mayhew.

The signature of many mental disorders is detachment from reality - often because of faulty perceptual processing. It's very easy to see why a rational person would take his meds. When the disease itself is flawed processing of what may be easily observed objective reality to every one else, the problem is a little more understandable.

I can't disagree with any of this, however...if TY has such a severe case of mental illness that he can't process that he has a severe and very critical mental illness that needs to be medicated, the Lions and Mayhew in particular should have been able to catch that early on in the interview process and Mayhew should be fired on the spot. If Young's mental condition is so frail that he can't manage to take a pill to rectify his illness and help him lead a more normal life, he should have never been drafted and his mental state should have been more supervised which should have included at least some form of institutionalization. We are talking about a potential (and thus far undocumented) bi-polar disorder, not some severe case of schizophrenia.

Edited by EchO

Dave Birkett ‏@davebirkett 14m Oh my “@jkatzenstein: Titus Young was arrested Friday night in San Clemente, Calif. That's three times in less than a week.”

Dave Birkett ‏@davebirkett 14m Oh my “@jkatzenstein: Titus Young was arrested Friday night in San Clemente, Calif. That's three times in less than a week.”

At some point, do repeat offenders actually spend lengthy time in jail?

It's pretty clear this dude needs help. I thought he was close to his family. Where are they?

Report: Former Detroit Lions wide receiver Titus Young arrested again | MLive.com

Less than a week after Young was arrested twice in a 15-hour stretch, the former Detroit Lions wide receiver was again placed under arrest, charged with burglary, assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest, according to a Detroit News report.

Young was apprehended around 11:30 p.m. Friday in San Clemente, Calif. after he attempted to break into a home. When officers arrived at the scene, Young attempted to flee on foot. When cornered, he tried to fight the officers.

"There was a brief struggle," Lt. Joe Balicki of the Orange County Sheriff's Department told the Detroit News "He wanted to fight with the deputies. They ended up subduing him."

Young is still in custody as of Sunday, according to multiple reports. He's being held on $75,000 bond.

More at the link

Countdown to Titus finding Jesus in 3....2.....1.....

Oh wait, was that irresponsible of me?

Countdown to sanctimonious bulls*** in 3.....2.....1.....

They must have some fast cops out there to catch him when fleeing on foot...How long before he ends up with a toe tag attached to him?

Countdown to Titus finding Jesus in 3....2.....1.....

Wait... Does Jesus live in a house in San Clemente?

They must have some fast cops out there to catch him when fleeing on foot...How long before he ends up with a toe tag attached to him?

Maybe the cops threw something over his head so he just gave up on his route?