Gozer

Enjoy life after the NFL Titus...

I would say you are not the norm. Most people drink underage, smoke weed, get in a fight or two. Judging someone on such a personal level by their fairly normal actions in college (which you only heard about) is foolish if you ask me.

Or they're judging by the fact that he's breaking in places and purposely sabotaging his football team.

I would say you are not the norm. Most people drink underage, smoke weed, get in a fight or two. Judging someone on such a personal level by their fairly normal actions in college (which you only heard about) is foolish if you ask me.

I’ll be done posting in this thread now.

We'll see........

Did you get banished from your college social group for most of your sophomore season?

Did you sucker punch a co-worker in the head?

Did you purposely thwart your empoloyers attempt at reaching a goal because you weren't the focus of that goal?

Did you get a DUI?

Did you break into a tow yard to retrieve something from your impounded vehicle?

Did you break into someone's house?

Did you get into a fist fight with the cops?

Did you steal merchandise from a gas station?

Sorry, but equating underage drinking and smoking weed to the things Titus has done is not even close to the point. Nobody here is a choirboy, but I have never struck a co-worker. I have never tried to ruin my employer's fortunes. Or broken into a house. Or thrown punches at cops and so on, and so on, and so on.

We'll see........

Did you get banished from your college social group for most of your sophomore season?

Did you sucker punch a co-worker in the head?

Did you purposely thwart your empoloyers attempt at reaching a goal because you weren't the focus of that goal?

Did you get a DUI?

Did you break into a tow yard to retrieve something from your impounded vehicle?

Did you break into someone's house?

Did you get into a fist fight with the cops?

Did you steal merchandise from a gas station?

Sorry, but equating underage drinking and smoking weed to the things Titus has done is not even close to the point. Nobody here is a choirboy, but I have never struck a co-worker. I have never tried to ruin my employer's fortunes. Or broken into a house. Or thrown punches at cops and so on, and so on, and so on.

I USED to be an altar boy.....does that count! lol

How does my attitude toward criminals create Titus Young?

If he a mental illness, then treat it. But he still committed multiple crimes. Put him in a mental institution and get him some help. But they apparently knew about his condition for a long time (according to them). If Titus was off his meds, that's Titus' fault, not mine. And Titus is still responsible for his actions when he's off his meds, regardless of what his condition is. He's not a child.

Oh, and even if he does have a mental condition, that condition doesn't make you intentionally run the wrong plays and tell everyone on twitter how awesome you are and how stupid they are. You do that stuff when you're an *** hole, regardless of whether your brain doesn't work the same way as everyone else

I love the idea that when someone does stupid things it's because they have a mental condition.

Because we as a society treat mentally ill people as if they are just a-holes(or mentally ill a-holes whatever the hell that means) instead of recognizing that they need treatment and helping them get it.

and its not that every time someone does something stupid they have a mental condition, but sometimes they do and ignoring it is irresponsible and ignorant.

edit - and yes it does make you do the thing you mentioned. I posted a link on this in response to you spouting this nonsense earlier. You clearly don't know what you're talkign about, so why not just stop?

Bi-polar is the same thing as manic depression. People with bi-polar disorder cycle between manic highs (where they think they can accomplish anything) and desperate lows (where they don't think they are worth anything).

I know this. This is my field. It doesn't happen at the same time.

Didn't you know man.....personal experience really doesn't mean squat when you have the internet to look stuff up!

When did I say it happens at the same time? I said they cycle.

I am not a psychiatrist but my fraternal twin brother is bipolar. At age 16, went from straight A student, choir boy, Eagle Scout, to manic phases where he would pick fights with strangers (completely unlike him) to depressive phases where he thought his family hated him. (He was never a drug or alcohol user.) I saw this cycle dozens of times. He went through years of this until, through a mix of modern medications and counseling, he was able to function normally.

I don't claim that TY is bipolar... I'm not qualified to make that diagnosis. But I'm also sure as hell that none of you here are either (even if this is "your field").

What I am qualified to say is that sometimes life is more complicated than our feeble, narrow minds can comprehend. In those cases, we should err on the side of remaining silent, or at least respectful, in our ignorance.

Because we as a society treat mentally ill people as if they are just a-holes(or mentally ill a-holes whatever the hell that means) instead of recognizing that they need treatment and helping them get it.

I don't know about you, but I go out of my way to treat people with mental illness like *** holes. My wife's grandmother has alzheimers. I enjoy kicking her.

and its not that every time someone does something stupid they have a mental condition, but sometimes they do and ignoring it is irresponsible and ignorant.

From now on, any time any professional sports athlete gets arrested, there should be a moratorium on posts about it until we are sure they aren't suffering from anything in the DSM-IV (or V).

Mods, make it happen. It would be irresponsible of you not to do so.

I mean, lets be honest, do any of us really know whether Nick Fairley suffers from restless leg syndrome? If not, we all need to take a good long look in the mirror and ask ourselves why we hate people with mental illness.

I know I will.

edit - and yes it does make you do the thing you mentioned. I posted a link on this in response to you spouting this nonsense earlier. You clearly don't know what you're talkign about, so why not just stop?

I figure that it hasn't stopped you, so why should I?

When did I say it happens at the same time? I said they cycle.

Cycle is a subjective word, I cycle between coffee creamers on a daily basis.

I am not a psychiatrist but my fraternal twin brother is bipolar. At age 16, went from straight A student, choir boy, Eagle Scout, to manic phases where he would pick fights with strangers (completely unlike him) to depressive phases where he thought his family hated him. (He was never a drug or alcohol user.) I saw this cycle dozens of times. He went through years of this until, through a mix of modern medications and counseling, he was able to function normally.

Perfect, the system that was designed to help him, helped him. I am happy to hear that and glad for your family.

I don't claim that TY is bipolar... I'm not qualified to make that diagnosis. But I'm also sure as hell that none of you here are either (even if this is "your field").

Absolutely correct, but I will speculate with the rest of you, and based on what I see bipolar just doesn't seem to fit.

What I am qualified to say is that sometimes life is more complicated than our feeble, narrow minds can comprehend. In those cases, we should err on the side of remaining silent, or at least respectful, in our ignorance.

Remaining silent is perhaps the worst conclusion someone could come to.

Mother of Titus Young’s son gets restraining*order

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 16, 2013, 5:57 PM EDT

As the life of former Lions receiver Titus Young continues to spiral out of control, his ex-girlfriend has obtained a restraining order to prevent him from having any contact with her or their son.

The restraining order was filed in Riverside County, California, Superior Court on May 8, the day after Young was arrested twice in one day in Moreno Valley, California.

“Titus Young Sr. has been clinically diagnosed with a mental disorder and I am afraid of what he is capable of doing,” the ex-girlfriend wrote in court documents, according to the Press-Enterprise. “He also has been in a mental help facility more than once and still believes that he does not have a problem.”

The ex-girlfriend filed a report saying Young had been threatening and harassing her.

“He would say things like, ‘I understand why O.J. killed his wife,’” she wrote. “He got mad and yelled at my neighbors and tried to fight multiple people that he doesn’t even know.”

Young’s repeated off-field problems got him cut by the Lions early this year, and he has been in repeated legal trouble in recent weeks. The ex-girlfriend says people close to him know he needs mental health treatment, but he refuses help.

Mother of Titus Young’s son gets restraining order | ProFootballTalk

Edited by sagnam

He is hitting rock bottom, this story keeps getting worse.

This is not going to end well. His family needs to get a court order to get him help if they haven't already.

I mean, lets be honest, do any of us really know whether Nick Fairley suffers from restless leg syndrome? If not, we all need to take a good long look in the mirror and ask ourselves why we hate people with mental illness.

Kind of off the subject but did anyone ever hear Sapp's theory on Nick Fairley? Sapp claims that Fairley will be injured a lot in his career because his legs are too skinny to support his bigger upper body. If I remember correctly, Sapp claimed Fairley could call him for advice, but Fairley never has.

1) His dad has already talked about concussions aggravating his condition. How much do you want to bet that there's a law suit coming?

2) Why did the Lions draft this guy?

I'm thinking if he IS on meds he was on them for his draft interviews and what not. He was without incident the first season with the Lions and seemed alright for a bit after that too. Seems like he stopped taking them and started sleeping in phone stores and committing crimes.

I'm thinking if he IS on meds he was on them for his draft interviews and what not. He was without incident the first season with the Lions and seemed alright for a bit after that too. Seems like he stopped taking them and started sleeping in phone stores and committing crimes.

He was not without incident at Boise State. And he was not without incident before Boise State either.

Any NFL team doing its due diligence would know if he was on something like Seroquel. That is a huge risk.

And it backfired.

He was not without incident at Boise State. And he was not without incident before Boise State either.

Any NFL team doing its due diligence would know if he was on something like Seroquel. That is a huge risk.

And it backfired.

Of course these are the same idiots who claimed to be stunned and shocked when Charles Rogers turned out to be a drug user.

Of course he played for some obscure college off at Mozambique State or something, how in the world were the Detroit Lions ever supposed to get accurate information on his behavior in college? I wonder if maybe there were reports on the intertubes or anything about him using drugs in college??

Remember who was at Millen's right hand when he made this decision. Yep, Mayhew.

Edited by TJ

I was on seroquel for two years, pretty worthless drug. I never acted like Titus though.

My two cents as someone who actually has been severely mentally ill is that there isn't any rule saying you can't have mental problems and still be a jerk and a criminal independent of that

Its possible, but when you see guys on the team say things like, this was not the same Titus we knew as a rookie, it makes you wonder.