Gozer

Enjoy life after the NFL Titus...

You know nothing of mental illness or you are just cruel.

Maybe TJ just needs help and here you are calling him cruel. :(

Did I do something to YOU personally? Or do you follow other posters around like this too?

As for Titus, I don't care about him. I think he's an *** hole. If he's bipolar, then he's a bipolar *** hole.

They'll give him his Seroquel in jail.

Facts.

Did I do something to YOU personally? Or do you follow other posters around like this too?

As for Titus, I don't care about him. I think he's an *** hole. If he's bipolar, then he's a bipolar *** hole.

They'll give him his Seroquel in jail.

and this is the attitude that creates people like Titus. Oh well, we all have our opinions.

and this is the attitude that creates people like Titus. Oh well, we all have our opinions.

If Titus Young has a mental illness that doesn't preclude him from being an a-hole. Don't be so close-minded. People with mental illness are as normal as anyone else. They come in all shapes and sizes. There are also white people who can dance or jump.

It's equally possible he's just gotten hooked on drugs and is out of cash. That seems more likely than a bipolar diagnosis to cause someone to break into a house when the owner is home. That could also explain his previously erratic behavior.

You know nothing of mental illness or you are just cruel.

The Detroit Lions paid Titus Young plenty of good cold cash money and he repaid them by intentionally tanking plays and exposing teammates to unneccesary physical danger and injury (see explanation above).

If he needs help he should have plenty of money to pay for it, unless of course he's already blown it all.

Edited by TJ

How does my attitude toward criminals create Titus Young?

If he a mental illness, then treat it. But he still committed multiple crimes. Put him in a mental institution and get him some help. But they apparently knew about his condition for a long time (according to them). If Titus was off his meds, that's Titus' fault, not mine. And Titus is still responsible for his actions when he's off his meds, regardless of what his condition is. He's not a child.

Oh, and even if he does have a mental condition, that condition doesn't make you intentionally run the wrong plays and tell everyone on twitter how awesome you are and how stupid they are. You do that stuff when you're an *** hole, regardless of whether your brain doesn't work the same way as everyone else.

I love the idea that when someone does stupid things it's because they have a mental condition.

It's equally possible he's just gotten hooked on drugs and is out of cash. That seems more likely than a bipolar diagnosis to cause someone to break into a house when the owner is home. That could also explain his previously erratic behavior.

Agreed. Titus doesn't seem to fit the characteristics of someone who is bipolar. His dad described him as depressed, if that were the case it would be highly unlikely he would be out breaking into homes, the motivation level in people with bipolar going through a depressive episode is virtually none. If he were manic, his dad wouldn't use the word depressed. His dad obviously doesn't know what is wrong with him, so he is just speculating. Wouldn't be easy for a parent to admit that the kid is an ahole and nuisance to society.

Some of you guys are so tough. Man, I wish I had the non-PC attitude you all did so I could walk around with a chip on my shoulder talking recklessly about people with mental illness so I could feel better about myself. Lots of bravery in this thread.

On a serious note, if you can’t understand that many with mental illness cannot think “logically” and just take medication prescribed to them, please do yourself a favor and read up on this a bit. The comments in this thread reflect a real lack of knowledge regarding mental health illness.

What, am I supposed to say "awwww, poor baby" with Titus Young Sr. This line his father had about a concussion, first of all, I don't remember him having that injury at all, and didn't he do some of the same things in college, well before the Lions drafted him and well before this so-called concussion?

Yes, he does have some mental issues, obviously, but one can have a mental illness and still be just an a-hole to start (I have a cousin that is like that, he's an a-hole, and he has mental illness on top of it, cure him from the mental illness and he'll still be an a-hole).

He's a loser. And Martin Mayhew is a loser for drafting him and it should be REASON NUMBER ONE the Monday after next season's finale when he is shown the door.

Oh, more charges have been added on Titus.......he was caught on camera stealing from a gas station.

The hits just keep on coming.

We should start a betting pool. What day is his next arrest and for what crime?

Some of you guys are so tough. Man, I wish I had the non-PC attitude you all did so I could walk around with a chip on my shoulder talking recklessly about people with mental illness so I could feel better about myself. Lots of bravery in this thread.

On a serious note, if you can’t understand that many with mental illness cannot think “logically” and just take medication prescribed to them, please do yourself a favor and read up on this a bit. The comments in this thread reflect a real lack of knowledge regarding mental health illness.

You don't seem to be able to view situations regarding mental issue without taking into account what you currently experience. One doesn't have anything to do with the other.

My grandma lives right next door to me, there is property in between, but I see my fair share of her. Anyway, she is bipolar 1 with schizophrenia to boot. I help her with a lot of things in life, simple projects, bringing in groceries, plowing the driveway, you get the idea. When she is on her meds she isn't pleasant to deal with in general, she is a cantankerous old woman who just doesn't play nice with other people. When she is off her meds, she it pretty much the same, only she goes through the manic and bipolar episodes, mostly depression, but she has her fair share of religious awakenings when she is in a manic stage (she likes to throw holy water on people).

Point is, the underlying personality traits are inherent, she is quarrelsome regardless of meds or no meds. Every case is different, some people, when they are on their meds have a good underlying personality that is fun to be around. And when they get depressed or manic you feel for them. But in other cases, like my grandma, no matter what you do, the conversation and interaction with her won't be pleasant.

In the case of Titus Young, all indications are that he isn't fun to be around. From college to the pros everyone has suggested that Titus is an arrogant problem child. I don't think a mental issue is what is causing him to break into stores and drive drunk. I think he has an extreme case of self entitlement that may or may not be mixed with another mental health issue (you will note that mental health issues are almost always co-occurring...more than one at a time) and in general is probably a jerk and not much fun to be around. I bet if he stopped breaking into stores and stayed out of trouble, people probably still wouldn't want to hang around him.

You can't just keep using mental illness as a trump card. As much as you suggest you understand mental illness you are painting on a small canvas with a broad brush.

Edited by T&P_Fan

Let's paint over the ugly parts with a coat of the mental illness excuse like the movie A Beautiful Mind did. Still doesn't make Titus Young Sr. or John Nash good people.

I just like the fact that the word quarrelsome was used in a post.

And my biggest problem with a Beautiful Mind is that Russell Crowe and Jennifer Connelly played math geniuses when we all know it is a scientific fact that there is no such thing as a physically attractive math genius.

I just like the fact that the word quarrelsome was used in a post.

And my biggest problem with a Beautiful Mind is that Russell Crowe and Jennifer Connelly played math geniuses when we all know it is a scientific fact that there is no such thing as a physically attractive math genius.

Indeed.

I have a friend that works at 3M that has told me about a woman that he works with that is "hot. Not just science hot, but smoking hot."

Agreed. Titus doesn't seem to fit the characteristics of someone who is bipolar. His dad described him as depressed, if that were the case it would be highly unlikely he would be out breaking into homes, the motivation level in people with bipolar going through a depressive episode is virtually none. If he were manic, his dad wouldn't use the word depressed.

Bi-polar is the same thing as manic depression. People with bi-polar disorder cycle between manic highs (where they think they can accomplish anything) and desperate lows (where they don't think they are worth anything).

Of course, Titus Young has his faults and I am sure he has plenty of personality flaws as we all do. But fighting with a teammate in college does not give me reason to completely bash a guy, knowing he is dealing with mental health issues.

People are basing their opinion about Titus from reports from when he was in college. Did you guys ever get in a bar fight in college? Did you ever do any illegal drugs, drink underage, say something stupid, do something irresponsible, make horrible mistakes, act disrespectfully to people? It happens, I will not crucify the guy based on that. Nor will I bash him endlessly for running the wrong route. He should be held responsible for the crimes he committed, but I hope it is done with attention to the fact that he needs professional help, not punishment.

People act like professional athletes are there for our amusement and aren’t real people. Titus is a young man with serious issues. He has made mistakes and will continue to make mistakes, much like anyone on this forum. For anyone who deals with mental illness or knows someone who deals with it, the comments in this thread are hurtful and disrespectful. And I hope some people actually reflect on their attack of Titus and see how the words they use to describe him and the tone in which they say it is precisely the reason so many people in this country are afraid to seek help. They feel like people will look down on them, like people will disrespect them, like no one will understand and act like they are just making excuses.

No one here knows what Titus is going through and what he has went through. With that in mind, maybe the “let’s bet on his next arrest” like it is a joke mentality should stop. Mental illness is not a joke, and it isn’t amusing to treat a public figure like they exist for our entertainment. Titus has a son, I hope for the sake of his family and himself he can get the help he needs, and not have people tell him “you are an a-hole, just take your meds”.

Did you guys ever get in a bar fight in college?

No

Did you ever do any illegal drugs,

No

drink underage,

No

say something stupid,

Of course who has not?

do something irresponsible,

Yup

make horrible mistakes,

No

act disrespectfully to people? It happens,

Absolutely not...and no it does not 'just happen'.

Of course, Titus Young has his faults and I am sure he has plenty of personality flaws as we all do. But fighting with a teammate in college does not give me reason to completely bash a guy, knowing he is dealing with mental health issues.

People are basing their opinion about Titus from reports from when he was in college. Did you guys ever get in a bar fight in college? Did you ever do any illegal drugs, drink underage, say something stupid, do something irresponsible, make horrible mistakes, act disrespectfully to people? It happens, I will not crucify the guy based on that. Nor will I bash him endlessly for running the wrong route. He should be held responsible for the crimes he committed, but I hope it is done with attention to the fact that he needs professional help, not punishment.

People act like professional athletes are there for our amusement and aren’t real people. Titus is a young man with serious issues. He has made mistakes and will continue to make mistakes, much like anyone on this forum. For anyone who deals with mental illness or knows someone who deals with it, the comments in this thread are hurtful and disrespectful. And I hope some people actually reflect on their attack of Titus and see how the words they use to describe him and the tone in which they say it is precisely the reason so many people in this country are afraid to seek help. They feel like people will look down on them, like people will disrespect them, like no one will understand and act like they are just making excuses.

No one here knows what Titus is going through and what he has went through. With that in mind, maybe the “let’s bet on his next arrest” like it is a joke mentality should stop. Mental illness is not a joke, and it isn’t amusing to treat a public figure like they exist for our entertainment. Titus has a son, I hope for the sake of his family and himself he can get the help he needs, and not have people tell him “you are an a-hole, just take your meds”.

One of my best friends has some serious depression. She hates taking her meds...absolutely loathes it, but you know what? She does it, because she knows that she would struggle to function in society if she didn't. She still has bad days, days where she's not doing well, but she's out there making a life for herself. These comments aren't hurtful and disrespectful. They are correct. I have to disagree...I think people like Titus make mental illness just as much of a stigma as people who "make fun" of them. People see this absolutely ridiculous behavior on the hand of a professional athlete that apparently has some sort of mental illness and think "oh, that can't be me, I don't act like that..". Point is if Titus wants to set an example for everyone, but especially his SON, he's gotta clean this up, and fast. Whether that be going to treatment, admitting he was being an idiot, whatever.

Fact of the matter is, Titus had a job. He was employed by the Detroit Lions, and they have a job that they expected him to do. Blatant refusal to do that not only gets you released from the Lions, but would get you fired from ANY job. I don't think that posters here are making light or making fun of Titus's supposed mental condition, but they are making light at his stupid behavior, considering that the Lions paid him thousands(millions?) of dollars to pull this bull****. If you're handed such a great opportunity as he was handed to play in the NFL, you don't just throw it away like that, and time and time again. The Lions gave the guy opportunities. They didn't cut him directly after the first incident(where in my opinion, they should have). If that first screw up wasn't in his head like an "oh, I screwed up, better get back on track", then it wasn't going to happen. These arrests are further proof of that.

Treat the condition, if it exists. I have no issues with that, but the Lions shouldn't have to help him at all. How did he help them, except by wasting all of the money they spent on him as a 2nd round pick, and putting Stafford at even higher risk for a serious injury? Just dumb.

No

No

No

Of course who has not?

Yup

No

Absolutely not...and no it does not 'just happen'.

I would say you are not the norm. Most people drink underage, smoke weed, get in a fight or two. Judging someone on such a personal level by their fairly normal actions in college (which you only heard about) is foolish if you ask me.

I’ll be done posting in this thread now.

tl;dr

I was an a-hole in college.

Indeed.

I have a friend that works at 3M that has told me about a woman that he works with that is "hot. Not just science hot, but smoking hot."

I once worked with sasquatch.