Gozer

Enjoy life after the NFL Titus...

Someone on PFT said, "He got in a fight with his girlfriend so he went to the wrong house in purpose."

lol

Another great one, "This would qualify as OTAs if he still played for Detroit."

Edited by sagnam

They must have some fast cops out there to catch him when fleeing on foot...How long before he ends up with a toe tag attached to him?

Maybe he ran the route some other escaping suspect was supposed to run.

Peter King's take. (Sorry if the formatting is weird... I'm on the iPhone.)

http://m.si.com/2916640/9a4cb92c/

Ten Things I Think I Think

1. I think the logical question for the Ford family to ask its Lions personnel department this morning (if it hasn’t already been asked six or eight times) is: How on God’s green earth did you let Titus Young pass through our checking system and grade out high enough to be the 44th overall pick in 2011?

2. I think other teams have the same skeletons, and potential skeletons, in their closets. But to me, the Lions are different. They’d blown so many receiver picks over the years — granted, in the Millen administration, not Martin Mayhew’s — and you can’t go drafting scared. But Young missed much of his second season at Boise State for fighting a teammate. I liked the pick at the time, because he filled a major need to take pressure off Calvin Johnson. Young, if well-adjusted, would have been a great asset to Detroit. But I couldn’t know what the Lions knew then; when you pick a player 44th overall, you’ve done significant work on him, and you should know of the problems that could surface later on. Character problems, maturity issues. Those are flaws we in the media can’t know nearly as well as the teams. The Lions, I’m betting, knew what a risk Young might be.

To #1, I think its quite believable that they thought he was pretty stable due to being on his meds at the time. He was probably relatively normal in interviews and it seemed as if he had turned the corner. He didn't, clearly, but I don't think its egregious that they selected him either. Lets not forget that he made it through year one and was one of the more productive rookie 2nd rounders in recent years.

Just heard Terry Foster say something like “Titus Young has mental health issues and was prescribed medication that he doesn’t take.” You guys may think Foster is just making stuff up, but again, I do not think he would make such accusations without doing his research.

If it's really a mental health thing, then that would certainly explain a lot. But why isn't someone (family, friends, etc.) sitting on Titus and force feeding him is meds? If the difference between meds and no-meds for the guy is having an NFL career or fighting with teammates, talking back to his coach, intentionally running the wrong routes... then someone needs to get him some serious help. Obviously Titus can't see the difference himself, which is a bad thing. But isn't there anyone who can see it and can help him?

Getting arrested three times in a week is not a good thing at all.

If it's really a mental health thing, then that would certainly explain a lot. But why isn't someone (family, friends, etc.) sitting on Titus and force feeding him is meds? If the difference between meds and no-meds for the guy is having an NFL career or fighting with teammates, talking back to his coach, intentionally running the wrong routes... then someone needs to get him some serious help. Obviously Titus can't see the difference himself, which is a bad thing. But isn't there anyone who can see it and can help him?

Getting arrested three times in a week is not a good thing at all.

Helping loved ones who have mental illnesses can be a very difficult thing. They may be trying their hardest, but he is a grown man, they can’t force him down and give him meds every day. And sadly, there are holes in our mental health system and in our awareness as a country, so his family and friends may not even know how to deal with it.

I really do hope he can get help because the way this is heading is clearly not good at all.

Anyone want to back off the comments disparaging Young without knowing his situation?

You believe him? How does that explain his behavior at Boise State?

You believe him? How does that explain his behavior at Boise State?

Yes, I do believe him. His father is calling for a judge to give him a court order. And based on his erratic behavior, it seems very plausible.

Did Titus do something to you personally? You have a lot of hatred for the guy when it is becoming quite clear he has a lot of issues that extend beyond "being an a-hole". As far as his behavior at Boise State, the article says his disposition changed after a concussion here. Maybe he has had concussion issues in the past that caused his problems at Boise too. We don't know.

Sadly, people who suffer from manic episodes actually don't want to recover from them. And courts have a difficult time forcing adults to take their medication against their will.

Sadly, people who suffer from manic episodes actually don't want to recover from them. And courts have a difficult time forcing adults to take their medication against their will.

I have a close relative with some pretty serious mental issues and I agree with this statement. My relative is in his mid 30s, can kinda of hold down a high paying IT job when he is stable but will lose it quickly when he has episodes, refuses to admit he has a problem, refused to go on private disability insurance from his company (would have given him a 40K/year stipend and health insurance until he is able to work), refuses medicine and treatment. There is NOTHING my family can do until he commits and actual crime. Hopefully, these arrests give Titus' dad the ammo he needs to properly take care of his son, but like my relative, Titus won't start in the right direction until he wants to get better.

Fine. Then get 'em out of our hair.

For the record I think it's possible to have serious doubts about the Lions front office picking a player like Young, and speak frankly about the issues that arose during the season in regards to his play on the field, without disparaging a young man who has obvious issues. My hope is he gets help - & that the Lions learn and never make a mistake like this again.

What does that mean?

Not that I particularly agree, but I would assume he means institutionalize them in a mental hospital or jail. Even if he has a mental disability of some form and simply won't take his medication while he is constantly being a nuisance to everyone that he is around, what are you going to do? Continue to let him act like a jerk, not take his medication, and just blame his mental illness? It seems like he needs to either take his medication or be locked up...otherwise he is just going to be a burden on others and possibly even cause harm to others.

It seems like a similar argument with those who are addicted to drugs and refuse to get help (although I do understand that people can't choose to be depressed or have mental issues and people often get addicted to drugs on their own accord)...what do you do to a person who is an addict and simply doesn't want help? Do you continue to let them live in your house, help them support their habit, let them steal and pawn all of your belongings or do you call the cops on them right away and send them off to prison to try and get help without their choice? Do you let Titus Young hang around and just hope he takes his pills and doesn't go on another crime spree that could possibly be worse because he isn't a jerk, he just has some mental issues? Or do you ship him off to prison where they would more than likely force him on a medication regiment and where he wouldn't be able to cause problems to the general public? Not sure if there is a correct answer.

Edited by EchO

Young intentiontally tanked plays to make teammates look bad.

When WRs intentionally screw up routes, QBs must hold onto the ball longer in order to find anybody open, thus exposing them to potentially disastrous hits and injuries.

One full-steam blindside hit from a blitzing linebacker and Stafford's career could be over and there goes the future of the Detroit Lions for the next 10 years.

That's why I have NO sympathy for Titus Young. None. Zero zip zilch nada.

The Lions shouldn't do one GD thing to help him. Let him rot.

THAT'S the 'correct answer.'

Young intentiontally tanked plays to make teammates look bad.

When WRs intentionally screw up routes, QBs must hold onto the ball longer in order to find anybody open, thus exposing them to potentially disastrous hits and injuries.

One full-steam blindside hit from a blitzing linebacker and Stafford's career could be over and there goes the future of the Detroit Lions for the next 10 years.

That's why I have NO sympathy for Titus Young. None. Zero zip zilch nada.

The Lions shouldn't do one GD thing to help him. Let him rot.

THAT'S the 'correct answer.'

You know nothing of mental illness or you are just cruel.

Yes, I do believe him. His father is calling for a judge to give him a court order. And based on his erratic behavior, it seems very plausible.

Did Titus do something to you personally? You have a lot of hatred for the guy when it is becoming quite clear he has a lot of issues that extend beyond "being an a-hole". As far as his behavior at Boise State, the article says his disposition changed after a concussion here. Maybe he has had concussion issues in the past that caused his problems at Boise too. We don't know.

Did I do something to YOU personally? Or do you follow other posters around like this too?

As for Titus, I don't care about him. I think he's an *** hole. If he's bipolar, then he's a bipolar *** hole.

They'll give him his Seroquel in jail.