Gozer

Enjoy life after the NFL Titus...

Huh? Titus Young? Are you serious? Talent is not his problem. The guys a playmaker.

I guess we have different definitions of play maker, here are Titus Young's rankings of WR with at least 50 targets...

2012 (85 WR with 50+ targets)

Y/G - #63

Average - #69

YAC - #82

TD - Tied at #40 with 16 others

Reception % (Receptions/Targets) - #42 (59%)

2011 (93 eligible WR)

Y/G - #62

Average - #64

YAC - #80

TD - Tied at #26 with 6 others

Reception % (Receptions/Targets) - #55 (56.4%)

He doesn't get many yards per game, when he does get receptions they are for few yards with one of the worst yards after catch in the league. Which of these statistics represent a play maker? Because every single one aside from TD in 2011 are well below average. Playing with Calvin who gets quite a bit of attention, Titus Young should be getting large chunks of yardage with 1 on 1 coverage, but instead he consistently has some of the worst yards per catch and yards after the catch in the league which leads me to believe that he simply can't make the first man miss or get open down field.

Edited by EchO

Titus was very frustrating this year. He gets open a ton though. How many times early on did we see him get open deep, get thrown to and either drop it or give up on it? He definitely has better than average speed, quicks and agility IMO. He was a great college WR and a pretty consensus 2nd or 3rd round pick. That doesn't really happen with zero above average skills.

Titus was very frustrating this year. He gets open a ton though. How many times early on did we see him get open deep, get thrown to and either drop it or give up on it? He definitely has better than average speed, quicks and agility IMO. He was a great college WR and a pretty consensus 2nd or 3rd round pick. That doesn't really happen with zero above average skills.

He might get open on short routes, but he doesn't get any yards after the catch so he isn't much of a big play making threat. In terms of NFL starting wide receivers, he is statistically below average. I would think if he were more talented, his stats would go up. I can't think of a reason why an above average talented wide receiver wouldn't put up above average numbers in our system. He is getting single coverage a significant amount of the time (because of the attention Calvin receives) in the most pass-happy offense in the history of the NFL, if he is a talented play marker, where are the numbers?

Skills are just part of the NFL. You have to have the drive to play and you have to be a team player if you want to succeed. He is selfish and he is lazy. He is done. One, or maybe two more teams will give him a chance, but I am betting he won't catch more than 30 passes the rest of his NFL career. He'll be hanging out with Charles Rogers soon enough......

Skills are just part of the NFL. You have to have the drive to play and you have to be a team player if you want to succeed. He is selfish and he is lazy. He is done. One, or maybe two more teams will give him a chance, but I am betting he won't catch more than 30 passes the rest of his NFL career. He'll be hanging out with Charles Rogers soon enough......

My comment had nothing to do with that stuff.

He might get open on short routes, but he doesn't get any yards after the catch so he isn't much of a big play making threat. In terms of NFL starting wide receivers, he is statistically below average. I would think if he were more talented, his stats would go up. I can't think of a reason why an above average talented wide receiver wouldn't put up above average numbers in our system. He is getting single coverage a significant amount of the time (because of the attention Calvin receives) in the most pass-happy offense in the history of the NFL, if he is a talented play marker, where are the numbers?

Basically, the comment below this one by Motor City Sonics sums it up. He's lazy, selfish, runs wrong/bad routes

Basically, the comment below this one by Motor City Sonics sums it up. He's lazy, selfish, runs wrong/bad routes

I see where you're coming from, I just would imagine that if he were also genuinely above average talent wise he would still show a few more flashes of superior numbers in particular YAC.

I am a bit surprised that he doesn't have more YAC

I have clearly soured on Titus Young over the last season, but I will admit that I was also very surprised he was so low in YAC. He has been in the bottom 10% in that regard in both of his seasons, I wonder if that has to do with his smaller stature?

Could be. I also think his lack of route running(whether intentional or a skill issue) could be an issue there. If he's not in the right spot and catching the ball in stride, its tough to get yac. I admit I don't know for sure what the extent of his talent is, but the way the other players talk about him, it seems like he has the chance to be an impact player. He reportedly dominated in all the camps last year. I just wish he could fully utilize what talent he does have. I don't want to have to fill a hole at WR.

Could be. I also think his lack of route running(whether intentional or a skill issue) could be an issue there. If he's not in the right spot and catching the ball in stride, its tough to get yac. I admit I don't know for sure what the extent of his talent is, but the way the other players talk about him, it seems like he has the chance to be an impact player. He reportedly dominated in all the camps last year. I just wish he could fully utilize what talent he does have. I don't want to have to fill a hole at WR.

This is a fault I place directly on Mayhew. Since 2007 we have spent a first round pick (Johnson), 2 seconds (Young and Browles), a third (Williams), a fifth (Kenneth Moore), and a seventh (Toone)...now I don't expect much out of Moore or Toone considering their late round status but out of two second round picks and a third we should have at least one #2 receiver and we don't, that's on Mayhew.

I really think one of the teams you've mentioned may be the Lions. Go for other needs in the draft, sit Titus down and let him know his entire career is on the line.

He has worked long and hard to get to the point he's at, an NFL wide receiver. His trade value is at an all time low, that's pretty obvious. Unless Dallas wants to give us a 1st and 2nd round pick? :classic:

Bill James wrote a piece one time about how most of the more infamous asshats in mlb history have been pretty low on the defensive spectrum, ie. Lfers and 1bman. Manny Ramirez, Dave Kingman, Dick Allen etc. His reasoning was that these guys probably focused almost all of the energy in attaining offensive statistics, which brought with them attention, at the expense defense which is more team oriented.

It seems parallel that in the NFL most of the egomaniacs seem to be disproportionatly from the WR position. It's a glamour position; score touchdowns, do a dance. There aren't too many egomaniac corners or safetys it seems which would be the other option for guys that size. Probably many of these guys, like Titus, chose to be a WR for the attention and if they aren't getting the ball they feel personally offended. So I'd guess his mental illness is an enlarged ego.

This is a fault I place directly on Mayhew. Since 2007 we have spent a first round pick (Johnson), 2 seconds (Young and Browles), a third (Williams), a fifth (Kenneth Moore), and a seventh (Toone)...now I don't expect much out of Moore or Toone considering their late round status but out of two second round picks and a third we should have at least one #2 receiver and we don't, that's on Mayhew.

I mean, Burleson was a very solid signing and is a 2 or 3 type WR and Broyles got hurt. If you blame Mayhew for Broyles' injury, which many seem to, then I guess it makes sense. I don't get that though. I wouldn't go back and not draft Broyles.

I mean, Burleson was a very solid signing and is a 2 or 3 type WR and Broyles got hurt. If you blame Mayhew for Broyles' injury, which many seem to, then I guess it makes sense. I don't get that though. I wouldn't go back and not draft Broyles.

Broyles had the same injury on a different knee in college, when one of the major knocks on the guy is his injury history and then he gets injured that has to be at least partly put on the GM's shoulders. According to NFL Draft Scout he was a projected 3-4 round pick with his "high" being a late 2nd round pick due to his knee. Walterfootball also projected him the 3-5th round, so yeah I do blame Mayhew for taking a player whose draft stock was projected to have dropped due to injury concerns, we draft him high anyways and then he got hurt.

I had heard that the only reason he has yet to be cut is that during the time between the conference championships and the Super Bowl, the NFL does not allow other teams to make major moves. Next Monday, he's gone.

Nice call.

Now, the Lions should go to court and file suit against Young demanding repayment of all salary he has been paid since the first game it was established he was intentionally screwing up plays.

Retroactively terminate his contract effective on that date.

I griped on this board about the Broyles signing, but clearly they knew then that their gamble on Titus Young was not paying off. Broyles was a shot across Young's bow. Glad to see that cancer finally cut out of the locker room. Hopefully the offense can get healthy and gain some consistency.

Now, the Lions should go to court and file suit against Young demanding repayment of all salary he has been paid since the first game it was established he was intentionally screwing up plays.

Retroactively terminate his contract effective on that date.

Can they do that in this case? I seem to rememberthe Lions getting some money after the Chuck Rogers debacle, but I'm not sure about Titus. I hope they can...

Can they do that in this case? I seem to rememberthe Lions getting some money after the Chuck Rogers debacle, but I'm not sure about Titus. I hope they can...

The standard NFL player contract has a clause that the player will perform football-related duties "to the best of his ability."

Intentionally screwing up plays IN GAMES because you don't like the offense is clearly a breach of contract.

The Lions should be able to get the offensive coaches plus Stafford to testify in court Young was doing it on purpose.

NFL (and former) player's Tweets being corrected by 2nd graders.

h14832998

I was totally wrong about this situation. I thought he would get one more shot, but I was totally wrong.

Nice call.

Wasn't a tough one. Mike O'Hara has been writing about his trade value and all that. Mr. O'Hara does not understand what is going on here. It wasn't about value anymore. It was about showing the rest of that team that management respected them enough to do this right away. Everyone on that team HATED Titus Young. The defense hated him for sucker punching Louis Delmas. The offense hated him for lining up wrong on purpose.

nd1377, you must be on some powerful painkillers to think that the Lions would ever play him again. Give me some.

So Nick Fairley is the only guy from 2011 draft class on the team now. Wow.....Mr. Mayhew should be following Mr. Young out the door.