T&P_Fan

Zetterberg to be named Captain

Hard to say Hank and Pavel don't step up when the Wings need them to. With Pavel, the Wings probably win in 09 and Hank was clearly the best player in 08. Both have had very good seasons the last few years but the support (ahem Franzen, Cleary) has not been there to help them. Coupled with a poor defense and the Wings weren't going far. These are two of the best and sometimes underrated players in the league. Wouldn't trade them for anyone.

Hank is good choice to be the captain. The language barrier would be too tough for Pavel although his English isn't terrible, just not good.

Hey, I am a fan of Z and Dats. I love watching them. But they both need to be better at crunch time. You can't deny that. They were invisible in the playoffs last year and I don't recall them being all that great the previous year either. Same for Franzen, but I don't put Franzen in their league. These are the two guys that HAVE to step up in the playoffs for the Wings to be legit. There is a difference between really good and great. They were great in 2008, but I don't think either one of them has been great since then. Part of the blame is on Holland and Babcock.

About the Pistons being stale and remembering those as the glory days. I see the Wings teetering on the same tightrope here. They need to start playing young players. They need to rebuild now while they can still be a 6-8 seed. What I think will happen is Brunner, Nyquist, Ferraro, Tatar and Andersson will not get proper ice time and will be relegated to the third or fourth line.

A lot of you seem to think Brunner is a lock to be good. I think he's potentially Ville Leino all over again. I want these young guys playing on lines with Datsyuk and Zetterberg. This is the time for youth with the Wings. I think Landon Ferraro could be a really good player. I love the way he plays, and I doubt we get to see him this year so C-B-S (Cleary-Bertuzzi-Samuelsson) can gobble up ice time.

I don't want them to make a deadline deal for any over 30 player, not even Iginla.

And that defense..........not good.

Dreadful offseason. I think they still make the playoffs (as a lower half seed) but it's another one-and-done.

Hey, I am a fan of Z and Dats. I love watching them. But they both need to be better at crunch time. You can't deny that. They were invisible in the playoffs last year and I don't recall them being all that great the previous year either.

Then your memory is off.

In 2011, Datsyuk scored 15pts in 11 games. Zetterberg missed some time with injury but still managed to put up 8pts in 7 games.

Last year. they each had 3 pts in the 5 game series against a very good defensive team. They could've been better last year, no doubt. But these two guys have been rock solid over the careers in the playoffs. They aren't the problem. It's guys like Franzen (4 pts in 13 games) and Hudler (5 in 15) over the last two playoffs that killed this team.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the same line is going to be great. Major headaches for other teams coaches. Hopefully both can stay healthy.

I guess I'm in the minority because I believe the Wings may have a long playoff run in them. It seems to me that a shorter season may be better for an older team.

I was reading in the Free Press this morning and one of the writers was saying the Wings 21 years in a row playoff run may be in jeopardy. I couldn't disagree more.

When's the first game?

Datsyuk and Zetterberg on the same line is going to be great. Major headaches for other teams coaches. Hopefully both can stay healthy.

I guess I'm in the minority because I believe the Wings may have a long playoff run in them. It seems to me that a shorter season may be better for an older team.

I was reading in the Free Press this morning and one of the writers was saying the Wings 21 years in a row playoff run may be in jeopardy. I couldn't disagree more.

When's the first game?

Schedule will be released after players ratify. Probably Sunday.

When's the first game?

I'm more with you than with the omg they aren't going to make the playoffs crowd, but I will say the defense scares the crap out of me.