Sign in to follow this  
EppOnite

2013 Pre-Season Discussion

So, did I read the Free Press correctly earlier today - Gustav Nyquist isn't even starting the season with the team?

If true, I don't quite understand what this team is trying to do.

So, did I read the Free Press correctly earlier today - Gustav Nyquist isn't even starting the season with the team?

That's correct. He wasn't even in camp. He's been in Grand Rapids the whole time.

Not put guys through waivers so that they can keep forward depth in case of injury (see Helm, Bertuzzi, and Samuelsson already in danger of missing time).

Not put guys through waivers so that they can keep forward depth in case of injury (see Helm, Bertuzzi, and Samuelsson already in danger of missing time).

I understand wanting to maintain depth and all, but there have been much better players that have cleared waivers than Corey F'n Emmerton.

I understand wanting to maintain depth and all, but there have been much better players that have cleared waivers than Corey F'n Emmerton.

Exactly, and this is only one part of the Nyquist situation that bothers me. Nyquist in Detroit makes the team better--- period. The only rational behind leaving him in Grand Rapids is extra depth by not having to possibly loose someone through waivers. If Nyquist was in Detroit you would still have Tatar, Andersson and Sheehan in Grand Rapids (plus Mike Knuble if anyone cares).

Exactly, and this is only one part of the Nyquist situation that bothers me. Nyquist in Detroit makes the team better--- period. The only rational behind leaving him in Grand Rapids is extra depth by not having to possibly loose someone through waivers. If Nyquist was in Detroit you would still have Tatar, Andersson and Sheehan in Grand Rapids (plus Mike Knuble if anyone cares).

Yeah, that's what we need, another 40 year old. So lets bring up Knuble. Lets get Al McInnis out of retirement too. Is Eric Lindros doing anything?

Nyquist needs to play NOW. He needs to play on a top 2 line and in key situations. This team is not going to get better with loads of Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, Eaves, and Cleary.

If Mike Babcock won't play any of the young guys, maybe its time to make a change there, I think Mr. Red-*** and his routines are tired and have prevented us from getting top-line free agents. They need to be rebuilding now, and they can rebuild while still making the playoffs. Nyquist gains nothing with more time in Grand Rapids. We need to see if he's got the goods RIGHT NOW.

They'll probably trade him and 3 other prospects for a 35 year old on the downhill part of his career.

Tired of this.

Yeah, that's what we need, another 40 year old. So lets bring up Knuble. Lets get Al McInnis out of retirement too. Is Eric Lindros doing anything?

Nyquist needs to play NOW. He needs to play on a top 2 line and in key situations. This team is not going to get better with loads of Bertuzzi, Samuelsson, Eaves, and Cleary.

If Mike Babcock won't play any of the young guys, maybe its time to make a change there, I think Mr. Red-*** and his routines are tired and have prevented us from getting top-line free agents. They need to be rebuilding now, and they can rebuild while still making the playoffs. Nyquist gains nothing with more time in Grand Rapids. We need to see if he's got the goods RIGHT NOW.

They'll probably trade him and 3 other prospects for a 35 year old on the downhill part of his career.

Tired of this.

In reading between the lines over the years, mostly from other teams around the league, I'm almost certain that the GM makes those roster decisions and not the coach. You would hope the coach and the GM have a kind of relationship where you can at least discuss the decisions if not agree on them all together. This is Ken Holland's model though and I'm sure Babs would love to have Nyquist. The kid is 23 years old too, not 19.

I can't see what the big deal would be to have him on the 3rd line (to start) and see what happens. He clearly has the skill to play on the top two lines and the lines are going to get shuffled. He could also get power play time as Brunner plays the point on the 1st unit and Franzen moves up with Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

To me I think he's going to get the Helm 2008 & 2009 treatment by coming up in the Play-Offs and playing in the line-up everyday. So why not start now......