Sign in to follow this  
EppOnite

2013 Pre-Season Discussion

I thought we could get some discussion and opinions surrounding the Red Wings leading up to this shortend season. Feel free to discuss anything from the way you think the roster might shake out, potential line-ups, keys to the season, where you think the Red Wings end up in the standing, and anything else that comes up before the season.

I'll quickly touch on the roster. I have a feeling that the organization will keep Nyquist in Grand Rapids to start the season in order to avoid having to release or trade another forward who is out of options like Mursak or Emmerton. Personally I would like to see both Nyquist and Brunner given a shot on the top 2 lines right out of the gate. The 1st and 2nd line have become stale and could use a bit of a shake up. Zetterberg and Franzen have had some really good chemistry in International games and a new center might get the Mule going. Putting a couple younger guys in the top 6 can add more experiance and wieght to the 3rd and 4th lines. Here is what I would like to see upfront;

Franzen Zett Brunner

Nyquist Dats Fil

Cleary Helm Sammy

Bert Abby Tootoo

I would then keep Miller and Mursak and let Emmerton walk. Waiting in the Wings would still be Tatar and Anderson. This line-up could provide a bit more energy on the top two lines and also more size and sand paper on the bottom 2.

Health as always will be a key. I wouldn't think this would be the year the Red Wings play-off streak will come to an end, but in a shortend season you never know.

Anyways feel free to discuss..........

Sounds like the season is going to start now the 19th, that would make it 48 games. At this point I don't think there is anyway they start the 15th for 50 games, if they started the camps this weekend, that would give teams only 3 days or so till their first game.

My top two lines personally would be

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Franzen

Filppula - Zetterberg - Brunner

Flip and Z had great chemistry last year and I'd like to keep them together.

My top two lines personally would be

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Franzen

Filppula - Zetterberg - Brunner

Flip and Z had great chemistry last year and I'd like to keep them together.

I also like those top 2 lines. Basically as long as those 6 players are involved in the top 2 lines I'm ok with them. I really just would like to get the Mule going more. Maybe he needs to be switched around more throughout the season to keep him motivated.

As for what do the Wings need-- their biggest weakness would be defense and now Carlo is injured. A top defenseman would make this team look much better. They are currently deep on defense but do not have a number 1 or even a number 2, but rather a bunch of 3 through 5 type guys.

5 keys:

1. Brunner playing well with Z like they've been doing in Switzerland

2. Ian White showing he can be a capable defenseman with a partner other than Lidstrom

3. Battered vets like Bertuzzi and Cleary staying healthy through a compressed schedule

4. Howard playing big in a contract year

5. Holland shoring up the D with a signing or two before the trade deadline; his inability or choice not to do much this summer has at least left with him a lot more flexibility than most teams, he might be able to squeeze something from a cap-tight team

heir biggest weakness would be defense and now Carlo is injured.

Damien Brunner News: Brunner hit fellow Red Wing Carlo Colaiacovo from behind in Spengler Cup action Monday, injuring the defender and forcing him from the game. Colaiacovo went into the boards head first, according to Bruce McCurdy of the Edmonton J

By Rotowire January 01, 2013

Brunner hit fellow Red Wing Carlo Colaiacovo from behind in Spengler Cup action Monday, injuring the defender and forcing him from the game. Colaiacovo went into the boards head first, according to Bruce McCurdy of the Edmonton Journal.

Analysis: Brunner was frustrated -- he'd put up no points in Cup action after being the hottest player in the Swiss League in the first half. But that's no excuse for that type of hit. There could be some early-season frost in the Wings' dressing room that will require special defrosting to fix this one.

I wouldn't read too much into that, just breathing on Colaiacovo is enough to seriously injure the guy. Without video maybe it sounds worse than it really was?

Well I was wrong on the line combos, but unfortunetly right in regards to Nyquist. Looks like they will leave him in GR for now since he has options remaining, in order to maintain their forward depth. I really wanted to see him get a top 6 shot, but with this teams history of injuries I see the organizations point.

Helene St. James: Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg will play together, but how will rest of Red Wings look? | Detroit Red Wings | Detroit Free Press | freep.com Red Wings

I had a feeling they'd work Samuelsson into the top 6... So:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Brunner

Franzen - Filppula - Samuelsson

Cleary - Helm - Bertuzzi

Miller - Abdelkader - Tootoo

?

Edit: The White - Kindl combo is going to be so brutal to watch...

Edited by drownwithyou

Well I was wrong on the line combos, but unfortunetly right in regards to Nyquist. Looks like they will leave him in GR for now since he has options remaining, in order to maintain their forward depth. I really wanted to see him get a top 6 shot, but with this teams history of injuries I see the organizations point.

Helene St. James: Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg will play together, but how will rest of Red Wings look? | Detroit Red Wings | Detroit Free Press | freep.com Red Wings

There are no "options" in hockey. He can go up and down as often as they want as long as he's waiver exempt, which Nyquist is. If they are leaving him in GR, it's because they want him getting top 6 minutes there and don't feel he's ready for that in thr NHL and since he's on a 2-way contract, it saves them 875k in cap space.

Plus they don't have to put Mursak or Emmerton through waivers, although I wouldn't care about losing either of them. Emmerton especially.

Did you hear how Babcock called Lidstrom on Tuesday asking him if he wanted to re-consider and play this year? Lidstrom politely but firmly said he was happy staying retired.

Did you hear how Babcock called Lidstrom on Tuesday asking him if he wanted to re-consider and play this year? Lidstrom politely but firmly said he was happy staying retired.

Gotta give him credit for trying.

There are no "options" in hockey. He can go up and down as often as they want as long as he's waiver exempt, which Nyquist is. If they are leaving him in GR, it's because they want him getting top 6 minutes there and don't feel he's ready for that in thr NHL and since he's on a 2-way contract, it saves them 875k in cap space.

You're right, there are no "options" in hockey. It's the same idea though. I don't believe that the organization doesn't think Nyquist is not ready for the top 6. Obviously that could very well be the case, but to me it's just a matter of maintaining depth. They are using him as a safety net for an injury to the top 2 lines and ultimatley keeps them from having to put anyone through waivers.

I don't disagree with letting prospects develop in the minors, I'm actually more for it. But when someone is ready (Nyquist) and someone like Emmerton is basically useless, it irritates me. Even if Nyquist ended up the odd time on the 3rd line it still makes the team better having him up.

Interesting thought to try and get Nick to come back for a shortened season, but I respect his decision to stay retired. Guy has nothing left to prove to us.

I'm petrified of how bad our defense might be this year. Lost a lot and have a bunch of mid line guys in front of goalie trying to play for a contract. Throw in a short season and lord knows what could happen.

Greg Hammaren ‏@ghammaren

Hockey fans; RW and FSD very excited to bring you 1st scrimmage, live on Tuesday at 6. Gonna be a fun telecast. #dropthepuck