T&P_Fan

2013 NHL Discussion: News and Notes

If you're looking for a way to make games even more fun you can play bingo with Doc. Mike Emrick bingo with a host of commonly used Emrick verbs. I didn't make this btw.

600757_10152814423280472_1157877812_n.jpg

There was a text contest on a local radio station's morning show to give Parise the phrase he would yell after scoring his first playoff goal this year. Sadly, my submission of "Suter, I'm sorry, we should have signed with the Wings" didn't make it to the final choices, but perhaps he is rethinking that today?

Through Friday night:

Teams that have made it to 2nd round:

San Jose

Ottawa

Chicago

Los Angeles

Teams that have been eliminated:

Vancouver

Montreal

Minnesota

St. Louis

Teams that are facing elimination:

New York Islanders

New York Rangers

Toronto Maple Leafs

Detroit Red Wings

Anaheim Ducks

Edited by lordstanley

Through Sunday morning. Teams that have made it to 2nd round:

San Jose

Ottawa

Chicago

Los Angeles

Pittsburgh

Teams that have been eliminated:

Vancouver

Montreal

Minnesota

St. Louis

New York Islanders

Teams that are facing elimination:

New York Rangers

Toronto Maple Leafs

Detroit Red Wings

Anaheim Ducks

The Pens struggled again last night but tied it late and won it in OT to eliminate the Islanders. Pittsburgh will host Ottawa next.

Higher seeds have won only 2 series (of the 5 decided) so far, but lead 2 more and 1 is headed to a Game 7.

The 1st round will be done as earlier as tonight, no later than Monday night. If the Rangers and/or Leafs both playing at home force a Game 7 in their series with Washington and Boston respectively those will be played Monday night on the road.

The Leafs would have home ice for the 2nd round if both the Leafs and the Rangers win their series. However, with 4 of the 5 games in the Bruins-Leafs series to date having been won by the road game, maybe would not be a huge advantage for the Leafs.

Edited by lordstanley

Carrying along with the home ice advantage them, here is the W-L record of the home teams, by series, so far:

Chicago-Minnesota: 4-1

Anaheim-Detroit: 4-2

Vancouver-SJ: 2-2

St.Louis-LA: 5-1

Sub-total (West): 15-6

Pittsburgh-NYI: 3-3

Ottawa-Montreal: 3-2

Washington-NYR: 5-0

Boston-Toronto: 1-4

Sub-Total (East): 12-9

Sub-Total (all series excluding Boston-Toronto): 26-11

Grant Total: 27-15

So unlike in some past years, home ice advantage has held up strongly these playoffs with the exception of that one series.

Leafs Bruins still 0-0 with just over 5 minutes to play in the 2nd. Leafs need to get a goal, this is nerve-racking.

Kadri gets a goal and the Leafs take a 1-0 lead. Got to keep pouring it on.

Hard not to get caught up with what's going on in Toronto. The Leafs are putting up a great fight and there's no reason they can't win tonight. I'm very happy for Kessel, he has had a crushing weight placed on him the past few years and has handled it better both performance-wise and personally than many players would. I can't actually see myself cheering FOR the Leafs tonight, but a win wouldn't be the worse thing in the world and it would be good for the NHL. If I knew that the Leafs would safely lose in the next round then I'd have no problem with a deserved win tonight, but I'm afraid that if they win tonight it could be a springboard to a run to the Stanley Cup Final (Rangers or Caps would be a winnable series for the Leafs and if the Sens could knock off the Pens then Ottawa-Toronto would be a toss-up).

Hard not to get caught up with what's going on in Toronto. The Leafs are putting up a great fight and there's no reason they can't win tonight. I'm very happy for Kessel, he has had a crushing weight placed on him the past few years and has handled it better both performance-wise and personally than many players would. I can't actually see myself cheering FOR the Leafs tonight, but a win wouldn't be the worse thing in the world and it would be good for the NHL. If I knew that the Leafs would safely lose in the next round then I'd have no problem with a deserved win tonight, but I'm afraid that if they win tonight it could be a springboard to a run to the Stanley Cup Final (Rangers or Caps would be a winnable series for the Leafs and if the Sens could knock off the Pens then Ottawa-Toronto would be a toss-up).

Attention Mods, one can only assume that someone has hacked into this account and is falsely posting as LS since there's no way that he would post something that is even moderately complementary of the Leafs.

Leafs-Sens. Battle of Ontario, those were the days. And....HELL YEAH, Carlye have them playing differently.

Attention Mods, one can only assume that someone has hacked into this account and is falsely posting as LS since there's no way that he would post something that is even moderately complementary of the Leafs.

Leafs bandwagon has plenty of room.

BKMQ5e6CAAEjkuN.jpg

sad_fans.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

And wow to the Toronto Sun and the Star's Damien Cox. Didn't think they'd ride that word so hard with respect to a young team that forced the '11 Cup champ to OT of Game 7. Although I guess when you become the first team ever to blow a 3-goal 3rd period lead in a Game 7 and lose it's inevitable. Caps must be happy - they've been there before and lose to a lower seed in a blowout shutout at home yet are being overshadowed.

bkmdg6qcmaal5es-jpg_large.jpeg?w=290

Toronto Maple Leafs season choked away in Game 7: Cox | Toronto Star

Edited by lordstanley

The Leafs have the same franchise trajectory as the Red Sox in my estimation, and we haven't yet reached the Buckner moment, it's only going to get worse.

Honestly, what happened last night stings like hell, but I knew something bad was going to happen. This isn't even the Buckner moment yet, it's just the way the Leafs play hockey.

Reading the posts here you guys all sound so surprised, have you just now become aware of the Maple Leafs?

When the Leafs went up 4-1 last night people on the Leafs forum were wondering how they were going to deal with the collapse. Yes, it was tongue in cheek, but the fans knew it wasn't over and were expecting the rug to pulled at any moment. They waited til the final 2 minutes to do so.

Reading the posts here you guys all sound so surprised, have you just now become aware of the Maple Leafs?

Around Detroit we only care about the play-offs, so you have to excuse us if we were unaware of the Maple Leafs.

I kid, I kid.

I feel for you - that was a bitter pill to swallow.

Holy smokes.... when I checked the score before going to bed it was 4-1. I really should have checked again.... am happy for Bergeron, have always liked him for some reason.

So you can either blame me or thank me for what happened afterwards, depending on your point of view.