T&P_Fan

2013 NHL Discussion: News and Notes

Good ole hockey game was a staple of my child hood.

Leafs won again tonight. Are they actually going to make the playoffs?

Good ole hockey game was a staple of my child hood.

Probably more likely today than at any moment since 2004.

- 8 of 15 teams in the East make the playoffs

- Season half over; most teams have around 25 games to play

- None of the 6 teams between 10th and 15th seem to me capable of making up 9 points on the Leafs unless TML really collapse, which is unlikely - so 9 teams chasing 8 spots

- Let's give 3 playoff spots to Boston, Pittsburgh and the Southeast winner (probably Carolina) - so 6 teams chasing 5 spots

- So that leaves 6 teams chasing 5 spots

- Philly at 7 points back is probably capable of making a run at the Leafs, and the Rangers at 6 points back but with 3 games in hand are even more capable

- But even if Philly AND the Rangers both catch and pass the Leafs, the Leafs to make the playoffs would just have to finish ahead of either Montreal OR Ottawa or New Jersey (all 3 teams are close to the Leafs in the standings and in talent).

So I give the Leafs a >80% chance. Ugh!

I'd say their odds of making the play-offs is better than the Red Wings at this point in time.

What say you all about the visor debate in the wake of Staal's injury?

I didn't wear a visor/cage after I started reffing because I was too lazy to put my cage back on when I played. After I stopped reffing I put a visor on... and promptly took a stick to it in the first game I played. I didn't have any problem switching from nothing to the visor, not sure why people are against it. Machoness?

Very nice. I guess the streak was good for hockey and the NHL by getting so much attention, but a Chicago loss is always a good loss.

The 7th place Leafs are a bubble team again thanks to the 4-game losing streak. Remember that 9 pt lead over Winnipeg? It is now a 1 pt lead and the Jets have a game in hand, so effectively have caught the Leafs. 9th place Rangers are 3 back of the Leafs but have 2 games in hand on Toronto.

And yes, the Wings' situation is just as precarious.

Semin signs an extension with Carolina at 5 years @$7mm per. Good for Semin, his gamble to sign a 1-year contract and prove his worth paid off. I would have liked the Wings to have signed him last year but $7mm for 5 years is too much.

Aaron Wrd makes the blunder of his career by calling an Iginla to Boston trade officially done. In fact Iginla got traded to Pittsburgh for next to nothing.

How bout them maple leafs?

I think they are actually going to make the playoffs. First time in nearly 10 years.

The 7th place Leafs are a bubble team again thanks to the 4-game losing streak. Remember that 9 pt lead over Winnipeg? It is now a 1 pt lead and the Jets have a game in hand, so effectively have caught the Leafs. 9th place Rangers are 3 back of the Leafs but have 2 games in hand on Toronto.

And yes, the Wings' situation is just as precarious.

The Leafs responded rather well after their 5 game winless steak. Won 7 out of 10. Including 2 shoot-out loses.

Edited by T&P_Fan

Not only that, but the Leafs' 1st round matchup should be either Boston or Montreal. Ratings in Canada, especially Thunder Bay eastward, would be through the roof for Leafs-Habs.

Speaking of responding nicely, Ovechkin has been playing out of his mind. Goal-scoring leader and now in the top 10 in points where he belongs.

Not only that, but the Leafs' 1st round matchup should be either Boston or Montreal. Ratings in Canada, especially Thunder Bay eastward, would be through the roof for Leafs-Habs.

I feel like the Bruins will over take the Habs to set up the 1st round match between MTL/TOR. I would sure like to see MTL way before Boston. Carlye finally got the Leafs PK to actually attack the points and force turnovers. I am not sold on Reimer however.

Speaking of responding nicely, Ovechkin has been playing out of his mind. Goal-scoring leader and now in the top 10 in points where he belongs.

It looks like it took a while for the Caps to adjust to Oates, but they have turned it on. The Jets are still hanging around, but the Canes completely tanked. Oates will get some coach of the year votes.

From Elias: Alex Ovechkin scored in the Capitals' 3-2 win at Montreal, extending his road goal-scoring streak to nine games. The last player to score in nine consecutive road games was Alexander Mogilny for the Devils in 2000-01.

That is a neat stat.

Nate Thompsons visor possibly saves his life, at minimum turns what coulve been a horrific injury to a minor one:

2rks0z910AM

Leafs have a 3-1 lead with 5 minutes left against the Sens. If they win they clinch a playoff spot, first once since before the lock-out.

What a bunch of clowns the Oilers are. Such losers. They have a big 3rd period in a meaningless (6 goals) but they celebrate as if they're actually not a deadend going-nowhere overhyped underachieving team. Yakupov jumps into the boards and freaks out to make it 2-1. I seriously thought it had to be some kind of milestone goal, but nope, nothing. Then the Canucks Sestito scores and cooly does his own little dancing-on-his-skates move like you do in Peewee in order to mock Yakupov. Then Yakupov gets his hat trick goal, whips off his glove, and holds 3 fingers to the crowd. CBC crew destroys the Oilers. I have nothing against wild celebrations for big moments in big games, but this was a ridiculous display.

hFVfGhZ.gif

Edited by lordstanley

Surprising apathy in Vancouver going into the playoffs, at least at the box office. Acres of unsold seats for the 1st two home games. It's the lead story on Vancouver's leading sports talk show right now, interviewing a ticket broker who calls this a "ticket recession".

Boston and Pittsburgh are putting the hurt on Toronto and NYI respectively. Both could be very short, very ugly series.

Boston just got screwed out of a goal with the referee's "intent" to blow the whistle. What a crock of crap, James Reimer did not have the puck covered, the ref lost sight of it from the corner and "intended" to blow the whistle. This game should be 5-1 Bruins but it is not.