T&P_Fan

2013 NHL Discussion: News and Notes

Well, the NHL finally reached a deal with the players, so we can actually discuss on ice issues. Once the sides ratify the deal roster moves and the like will probably come in a flurry. This season should be a real crap shoot, still don't know exactly when the season will start, but the 19th looks like the best bet:

Real_ESPNLeBrun Pierre LeBrun

NHL sent out memo to teams tonight saying Jan 19 puck drop is most probable, however if ratification process goes fast, Jan 15 still in play

It'll be interesting how arena bookings will impact the schedule. I think Staples is pretty heavily booked for a bit starting in January, I think I read the auto show at the Joe would hinder home games for the Wings.

I think February 5th was Lidstrom's banner raising ceremony originally, I wonder if they'll have a home game then.

I'm waiting to see if we get a discount for Center Ice this season. I'm going to order it regardless, I need some hockey in my life.

Going to be a strange season, in so many ways.

I'm waiting to see if we get a discount for Center Ice this season. I'm going to order it regardless, I need some hockey in my life.

Going to be a strange season, in so many ways.

Read an article that since the NHL doesn't completely own Center Ice, partly owned by whatever company does all the TV sports packages, that free/discount probably won't happen there. But Gamecenter online would be more likely to go that route.

ah. i guess that makes sense ... i wonder what they'll price it at though, for a fifty game season, they can't charge for a full season ... you wouldn't think, anyways!

ah. i guess that makes sense ... i wonder what they'll price it at though, for a fifty game season, they can't charge for a full season ... you wouldn't think, anyways!

I am expecting the NHL to subsidize some of the cost. They owe their fans that much. I get that it would be tough to give it to everyone for free, but I think at most it should be $50. Like you, I will order as well, I can't stand missing a Leafs game.

Fifty bucks for Fifty games is a reasonable deal. I'm not going to not watch, just because they are all greedy, I love the game too much. I just hope they can see that a lot of fans don't feel that way, and hopefully like you said, they'll help subsidize some of the cost.

Punk posted this in the lockout thread, thought I would include it here as well.

Trades, cheat deals and more CBA details - Cross Checks Blog - ESPN

COMPLIANCE BUYOUTS

Teams will be allowed up to two buyouts over the next two summers -- 2013 and 2014 -- either one in each summer or two in one summer and none in the other. The new detail here that I found interesting is that any player bought out under these circumstances CANNOT be re-acquired by that same team during the upcoming season, not by waivers, not by trade and not by free-agent signing.

The second thing gets really confusing to understand in that Link.

If a team buys out a player, that player cannot, under any circumstances, play for the buying out team for that season. Eliminates the old NBA loophole that used to exist.

If a team buys out a player, that player cannot, under any circumstances, play for the buying out team for that season. Eliminates the old NBA loophole that used to exist.

Well the NBA one was a little different wasn't it? Like the McDyess situation: McDyess is traded to Denver, Denver buys him out, then he returns to Detroit.

This rule seems to make sense.

Nooo, the second part of the Link, not what I quoted in the other thread, and T&P brought over here.

THE LUONGO RULE

This is another rule from the league aimed at hammering current back-diving deals (front-loaded, "cheat deals"). However, this has changed from its original form when the NHL first proposed it in October.

In the original formula, if a player like Roberto Luongo was traded and retired before the end of his deal, the Canucks (the team who signed him to the contract) would assume his remaining $5.33-million cap early hit in retirement. The new rule in this tentative agreement is different. Now, for any contract in excess of six years, both teams involved in a trade on a contract like Luongo’s would be penalized if he retired before the end of his deal.

To wit: let’s say the Canucks trade Luongo soon. Luongo has played two years of his 12-year contract, the Canucks paying him $16.716 million in salary but only absorbing a $5.33 million cap hit each year. That’s a cap savings of $6.056 million over two years so far for Vancouver. Under this new rule, should the Canucks trade him now and he retires with three years left on his contract, Vancouver would be charged that $6.056 million in cap savings over the final three years left on his deal from 2019 to 2022. However, let’s say for argument’s sake Luongo gets traded to Toronto, the Maple Leafs also would be subject to cap penalties if Luongo retires before the end of his deal.

To wit, part 2: If Luongo were to play the next seven years of his deal in Toronto before retiring, the Leafs would be paying him $43.666 million in salary but only counting $37.31 million against the cap over those seven years, a cap savings of $6.356 million. So if Luongo retires with three years left on his deal (because his salary falls to $1.618 million in the 10th year and then $1 million in the last two years of the deal), the Leafs would get charged that $6.356 million on their cap spread evenly over the remaining three years of his deal.

And obviously, if players under these back-diving deals are never traded, but retire before the end of their deals (Marian Hossa in Chicago), their current teams get charged the cap savings spread evenly over the remaining years of the deal.

Just spreads the cap penalty to two teams if a player signed to a long term deal is traded then retires before the deal ends. Under old CBA, only the original team was penalized.

It's just another step in trying to prevent back-diving deals to players to circumvent the cap.

By this date how many games have normal season NHL teams played?

The average would be around 40.

A heavy rumor right now:

Luongo to the Leafs for Bozak, Frattin and a draft pick. Should be announced when the CBA is ratified. Reported by Yvon Pedneault during the Hamilton-Toronto game. Again, nothing final or official, just a rumor.

A heavy rumor right now:

Luongo to the Leafs for Bozak, Frattin and a draft pick. Should be announced when the CBA is ratified. Reported by Yvon Pedneault during the Hamilton-Toronto game. Again, nothing final or official, just a rumor.

Well, the Leafs haven't had a competent goalie since Belfour and it is certainly something they need. However, that albatross of a contract makes you really nervous as a fan. I would say it's a fair deal though, the Leafs need a difference maker in net, Luongo can certainly provide that.

Not that the deal rumored above won't happen, as Pedneautl is a French-Canadian legend and a legit source, but the consensus on Vancouver radio and Canadian English-language TV is that is a long-dated rumor from a month or two ago (John Shannon of Sportsnet rumored something similar awhile ago) and that this is no longer case. Luongo wants to play for Florida but is willing to go to Toronto if necessary so it depends if Burke not only matches but exceeds what the Panthers are offering.

Well look at this:

Reports -- Toronto Maple Leafs fire GM Brian Burke on cusp of season - ESPN

The Toronto Maple Leafs have fired general manager Brian Burke, according to multiple media reports.

Burke has been president and GM of the Leafs since November 2008, but the team has not been to the playoffs since the 2003-04 season.

Burke fired coach Ron Wilson in March of last season.

The timing of Burke's dismissal is curious, considering that the team stuck with him throughout the lockout but teams are now getting ready to start training camp in a matter of days. The league is preparing to start an abbreviated season Jan. 19.

The Leafs have scheduled a 1:45 p.m. press conference to make a major announcement.

Really surprised by this.

Hilarious.

Yep, this damn franchise can never do anything correctly. They just let Burke fire Wilson and hire Carlye. What the hell.