hail2mich

2013 Michigan Football

I thought we ought to jump right into discussing the 2013 season and beyond. Here is the 2013 schedule:

8/31 Central Michigan

9/7 Notre Dame

9/14 Akron

9/21 at Connecticut

9/28 BYE/Open

10/5 Minnesota

10/12 at Penn State

10/19 Indiana

10/26 BYE/Open

11/2 at Michigan State

11/9 Nebraska

11/16 at Northwestern

11/23 at Iowa

11/30 Ohio State

A very favorable schedule for the upcoming season. Having perhaps the three toughest opponents at home (Notre Dame, Nebraska, and OSU) sure is nice.

Michigan Football ‏@umichfootball

Taylor Lewan will announce his future plans -- return to U-M or forego his SR year to enter the NFL Draft -- tonight at 6 p.m.

Probably 95% draft, right?

I know he's a powerful player, but he commits too many stupid penalties. Good bye, Taylor, thanks for playing.

If you're a recruit you might think that this program is so appealing one of the top lineman decided to forego the draft and bazillions for one more year. Nice message to sell.

Also I wonder how much the new draft rules might change some players minds? If you were to make 30M 3 years ago, and now only 5M, how much would that change your choice if you were in the position I wonder?

Also I wonder how much the new draft rules might change some players minds? If you were to make 30M 3 years ago, and now only 5M, how much would that change your choice if you were in the position I wonder?

5M is still better than 0M.

Draft scouts obviously read my post about dumb penalties and lowered his status.....

Eating crow and enjoying it :)

Go blue!

5M is still better than 0M.

It is, but I mean it in the respect that you want to stay in school, but does the 5M push you over the edge like 30M would?

@HeckAtTOC: When asked what it was like to hold off on his NFL dreams for another year, Lewan shrugged, "Holding is what I do best."

It is, but I mean it in the respect that you want to stay in school, but does the 5M push you over the edge like 30M would?

It might not, but the rules aren't changing. The money will be almost exactly the same next season.

It might not, but the rules aren't changing. The money will be almost exactly the same next season.

You aren't getting what i'm saying, nothing about money changing now or the future. Compared to before the players aren't looking at huge paydays if they come out early and they don't really want to. In the past would you turn down 30M, compared to now being only 5M? You can always get injured your senior season, but now the net loss of millions a lot less to leave for.

I get it and 5 years ago Lewan leaves.

I'm just saying that it no longer is relevant.

I don't know about that. As Hoke said, there is a tradition of Michigan OL staying.

You can look at it to ways regarding the change in nfl draft money.

Before, you made more in the draft so there was incentive to leave and make great millions, but there was also incentive to stay and improve your draft stock, because moving from #13 to #3 was worth a ton.

Now, you make less, so mate the incentive isn't as great to leave, but there is less incentive to stay because improving your stock doesn't gain you as much as it used to.

All told, injuries to linemen are pretty rare, mos linemen improve their stock, I think, and college is a lot of fun.

You wear the 77 and you follow in the footsteps.

I listened to a few minutes of the drive time show on 97.1 last night and they lambasted Lewan for his decision. Valenti is a purely economic beast for whom life boils down to financial choices. I doubt the man would ever appreciate that college football is probably a more fun experience in total than being a professional athlete (as Jake Long's mentoring suggests).

But if there were an economic side to this. When you are a member of a high profile program like Michigan you accrue a certain professional network that is made stronger when you support that program and help it succeed. That will stay with you the rest of your business life, even outside of football. This will make Lewan's life much easier when he goes to sell cars/computer chips or paper clips in his life after football. Can you put a dollar value on that? Maybe not. But it isn't worth nothing.

One other thing...I had heard certain career decisions being described as "affectations of the middle class". In which, a person who does not have their financial future secured would never make that choice. I suspect that Lewan feels reasonably secure that with or without football he will have a decent life. Some other kids from harsher upbringings would have a much harder time making this choice.

Edited by ROMAD1

I thought we ought to jump right into discussing the 2013 season and beyond. Here is the 2013 schedule:

8/31 Central Michigan

9/7 Notre Dame

9/14 Akron

9/21 at Connecticut

9/28 BYE/Open

10/5 Minnesota

10/12 at Penn State

10/19 Indiana

10/26 BYE/Open

11/2 at Michigan State

11/9 Nebraska

11/16 at Northwestern

11/23 at Iowa

11/30 Ohio State

A very favorable schedule for the upcoming season. Having perhaps the three toughest opponents at home (Notre Dame, Nebraska, and OSU) sure is nice.

Kinda wonder if Kelly returns to ND