Scottish caveman

Lions 2013 Free Agent List

Heard Charles Woodson was cut by the Packers. 1 or 2 year deal for him?

If he would come here one a 1-2 year deal, absolutely. He was cut for a reason and he isn't the player he used to be, but he is still a serviceable guy.

Who said anything about cut? I didn't. All I'm saying is that I'm not prepared to pay a guy $20 million a season if he throws nearly as many INT's as he does TD passes. A guy who ranked 32nd of 49 QB's in TD to INT ratio, minimum 250 passing attempts. A guy whose total QBR dropped a full 7% points year to year. Apparently you are, as you view him as the only option, your opinion and I respect that. If he goes out in 2013 and has a year like he did in 2011, then he'll get his payday. If he only measures up to his stats from this past year though, then no way do I give him top 5 money. In-fact, if he does no better in 2013 than he did in 2012 and the Lions only win 4-5-6-7 games again, he shouldn't be getting what he makes now, thus my paycut argument.

That's great and all, but its not an option. You have two options . Pay him or let him walk(after franchising, which means paying him top 5 money too). The paycut is nice and cute on paper, but not something that will happen in reality.

Obviously if he has the same numbers in 2013 that he had in 2012, I"ll be concerned, but its not all about the numbers. He had 41/16 the year before, that's pretty damn impressive and something few QBs are capable of. This year Stafford had 2 of his top 4 WRs go down with injury and another line up wrong on purpose. Not to mention a very average running game and a TE who had severe drop and penalty issues this year, more than normal even. Stafford looked a little off at times and I want to see him continue to improve, but he was rarely my concern when watching the Lions. He's going to do his job.

If he would come here one a 1-2 year deal, absolutely. He was cut for a reason and he isn't the player he used to be, but he is still a serviceable guy.

and we are supposedly looking for leaders. What FA is more of a leader than Chuck? He's not going to be looking for big money or anything at this point.

That's great and all, but its not an option. You have two options . Pay him or let him walk(after franchising, which means paying him top 5 money too). The paycut is nice and cute on paper, but not something that will happen in reality.

Obviously if he has the same numbers in 2013 that he had in 2012, I"ll be concerned, but its not all about the numbers. He had 41/16 the year before, that's pretty damn impressive and something few QBs are capable of. This year Stafford had 2 of his top 4 WRs go down with injury and another line up wrong on purpose. Not to mention a very average running game and a TE who had severe drop and penalty issues this year, more than normal even. Stafford looked a little off at times and I want to see him continue to improve, but he was rarely my concern when watching the Lions. He's going to do his job.

I have to agree with these points and was thinking the same thing when I was reading the OP.

Also, Stafford had to throw the ball 727 times, a NFL record. The only QB to throw over 700 attempts in a season.

Injuries and a undisclipined WR were the major problem in the pass game, Stafford even ended up throwing to his old college roommate!

And with no running game, or us playing from behind, it's remarkable he even had the great numbers he did. CJ helps, just throw the ball high down the middle of the field and he'll go up and get it. Stafford does needs work on his mechanics, but he has a strong arm, accurate (at times) and is gritty as hell. He can take a hit. My main concern early in his career was he was going to be injury prone.

Mobility is lacking but he can move around in the pocket.

Stafford is NOT the problem. Kid is 25 years old.

Drafting and depth are the problems. He and Megatron carried them through a season with no running game and a mediocre defense.

I fully believe Stafford is capable of leading a team to a Super Bowl win.

Many years ago I read something about the Lions actually paying their kickers more than the average around the league. That was supposedly why they have been able to acquire and retain good kickers.

I just found this thread but having Murray and then Hanson around for so long is pretty amazing. Maybe they paid them well, but either of these guys could have played for less and been on a good team. At least, Hanson. I'm not sure about the FA rules back when Murray played.

So that's why we could retain them. But we drafted both, Murray in the 7th round in 1980 and Hanson in the 2nd round in 1992.

Eddie Murray NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Jason Hanson NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

Hanson has been the Lions most consistent and in some seasons, their best player.

It just shows the coaches who drafted both guys know how to build a team.....start with a kicker. :classic:

Burleson is publicly angling for Bush now. Stafford's following him on Twitter too. I really think we'll get him. We want him, we are a fit, I think we can make the cap space and I don't see another team that will be going hard after him.

Burleson is publicly angling for Bush now. Stafford's following him on Twitter too. I really think we'll get him. We want him, we are a fit, I think we can make the cap space and I don't see another team that will be going hard after him.

IMHO, he would be a great change of pace back to Bell and Leshoure, but is he worth over 6 million? I am assuming he is going to demand more than he made last season.

Bush is the perfect back in the Lions system. He can change the pace from Leshoure and Bell yet also come out of the backfield on 3rd down and catch the ball in the flat or across the middle. I'd love to get him but the money scares the hell out of me.

He's a good fit but there's no way that we can offer up the type of money that he'll be looking for. Total pipedream.

This offense is being built exclusively around Stafford and the passing game and there are upgrades needed on defense so that's where the money will primarily be spent. There's no room to spend on expensive running backs.

I think it depends on the money. I don't think he's necessarily going to get 6 mil or more and what I'm really worried about is the cap hit, not the annual dollar value. I like the idea of taking care of our RB need(we need a speed back, but not only that we need another short area target in the passing game IMO) in free agency and handling defense and OL in the draft, as well as free agency.

I don't mind the idea of Bush, because he's got freeway miles on him, and he probably has 4-5 yrs with good legs left.

I'd rather draft a back with speed than sign Reggie Bush.

Signing Bush means they won't have to draft a back with speed, and would open up the draft for the best player. Otherwise, they'd have to have one by the 3rd round, since they don't have a 4th this year. Unless, they can find a gem later in the draft. But the speed guys are usually gone by then.

Anwar Richardson ‏@AnwarRichardson

Confirmed that #Lions WR Nate Burleson has restructured his contract as originally report by @davebirkett

He's a good fit but there's no way that we can offer up the type of money that he'll be looking for. Total pipedream.

This offense is being built exclusively around Stafford and the passing game and there are upgrades needed on defense so that's where the money will primarily be spent. There's no room to spend on expensive running backs.

I doubt that Reggie will be mulling over high priced contracts the lions won't be able to afford. Free agent running backs rarely get lucrative deals. The best contract signed was by Michael Turner for 6 years 34 million and only a third guranteed and a first year cap hit of 3 million. Jarvis Green Ellis got 3 years 9 million last year and Michael Bush got 4 years 14 million both had first year cap hits under 2.5 million.

Signing Bush means they won't have to draft a back with speed, and would open up the draft for the best player. Otherwise, they'd have to have one by the 3rd round, since they don't have a 4th this year. Unless, they can find a gem later in the draft. But the speed guys are usually gone by then.

I'm with this. The thing is, RBs are a real crap shoot and there's a pretty good chance you get an Isaiah Pead or even Lamichael James, neither of which solves our issues short term IMO. All drafted players are a crap shoot and I get that, but I feel more comfortable drafting the defensive and OL guys in this draft than I do any of the backs. They all have holes in their games, whether size, pass catching, tackle breaking, pass pro or catching the ball. With Bush, I feel very secure in what I'm getting. He isn't perfect by any means, but he's always been relatively productive and predictable.

Don't get me wrong, I respect the opposing view point on this one, as neither is a perfect right answer, this is just how I'm leaning right now.

I doubt that Reggie will be mulling over high priced contracts the lions won't be able to afford. Free agent running backs rarely get lucrative deals. The best contract signed was by Michael Turner for 6 years 34 million and only a third guranteed and a first year cap hit of 3 million. Jarvis Green Ellis got 3 years 9 million last year and Michael Bush got 4 years 14 million both had first year cap hits under 2.5 million.

BUsh is probably a 5/25 guy, though we can probably do the 2-3 mil cap hit. He falls in between the guys you listed IMO.

Tweet from Tim Twentyman (say THAT 3 times fast) from detroitlions.com:

Martin Mayhew said he met with Tom Condon about Stafford yesterday. Will meet with Avril's agent today. Is targeting 9 of Lions 23 FAs.

What's your guess for the 9 he's targeting, assuming he's telling the truth?

Here's the list of free agents:

Louis Delmas — Safety — UFA

Cliff Avril — Defensive End — UFA

Gosder Cherilus — Offensive Tackle — UFA

Corey Williams — Defensive Tackle — UFA

Willie Young — Defensive End — RFA

Justin Durant — Linebacker — UFA

DeAndre Levy — Linebacker — UFA

Chris Houston — Cornerback — UFA

Amari Spievey — Safety — RFA

Nick Harris — Punter — UFA

Jason Hanson — Kicker — UFA

Dylan Gandy — Guard — UFA

Kevin Smith — Running Back — UFA

Stefan Logan — Running Back/Return Man — UFA

Jacob Lacey — Cornerback — UFA

Drayton Florence — Cornerback — UFA

Kassim Osgood — Wide Receiver — UFA

Sammie Hill — Defensive Tackle — UFA

Pat Lee — Cornerback — UFA

Lawrence Jackson — Defensive End — UFA

Will Heller — Tight End — UFA

Corey Hilliard — Offensive Tackle — UFA

Jason Fox — Offensive Tackle — RFA

Andre Fluellen — Defensive Tackle — UFA

Jerome Harrison — Running Back — UFA

Don Muhlbach — Long Snapper — UFA

My guess for the 9:

Delmas

Avril

Willie Young

Durant

Houston

Hanson

LoJack

Heller

Fox

I also think they'll sign Osgood and Muhlbach, but there's no real need to focus heavy on them.

EDIT: Come to think of it, Young and Fox are RFAs, so the same effort may not be necessary.

Edited by LineCrosser

My free agent wish list:

Reggie Bush - fills a big need

Steve Breaston - cheap and fills a need in the return game.

Geoff Schwartz - rotational lineman should come real cheap

Alan Branch- high motor Backup Dt, should come cheap

Patrick Chung - coming of injury should get him pretty cheap

George Wilson- fills a need at safety

Domenick Hickson - cheap, helps in return game serviceable receiver

Manny Lawson - 2 down blitzing linebacker, serviceable and won't break the bank

My free agent wish list:

Reggie Bush - fills a big need

Steve Breaston - cheap and fills a need in the return game.

Geoff Schwartz - rotational lineman should come real cheap

Alan Branch- high motor Backup Dt, should come cheap

Patrick Chung - coming of injury should get him pretty cheap

George Wilson- fills a need at safety

Domenick Hickson - cheap, helps in return game serviceable receiver

Manny Lawson - 2 down blitzing linebacker, serviceable and won't break the bank

Wilson signed with the Titans today.