tazdmb

Return of Tigerfest

Question for those of you with photos, where do you get yours? Ive seen alot of awesome shots, both here and in person, that I havent seen anywhere else. I'd love to get some like that.

Also, another pet peeve is the fact that every kid needs to pose for a photo. I get that the event is more tiered towards the youth but that realllllly slows down the lines. I don't know if they had a player photo line but that should be where children go for photos.

Tigers personnel in the front of my lines (C/D) were saying that once you handed in your voucher you can't take any photos until your item is signed (and back away from the table). Sounds like, as always, the rules lacked uniformity.

ere e

Tigers personnel in the front of my lines (C/D) were saying that once you handed in your voucher you cahotos until your item is signed (and back away from the table). Sounds like, as always, the rules lacked uniformity.

I decided to focus on getting autos for my son, and just cycled through the kids line--which was an adventure in and of itself! We did'nt have to deal with vouchers. How did the voucher system work?

When you got to a certain point they handed you a card (I call them vouchers) saying that you will get the players signing at X, Y (ex. Area C, Session 2). When you got to the front of the line they collected your voucher, so when that session's vouchers were gone the player(s) were done (thus the 20-30 min gaps of no signing). It was suppose to keep people from "line jumping" and it also controlled how many signatures each player signed per session (perhaps 2000, but I really have no idea how many vouchers there were).

When you got to a certain point they handed you a card (I call them vouchers) saying that you will get the players signing at X, Y (ex. Area C, Session 2). When you got to the front of the line they collected your voucher, so when that session's vouchers were gone the player(s) were done (thus the 20-30 min gaps of no signing). It was suppose to keep people from "line jumping" and it also controlled how many signatures each player signed per session (perhaps 2000, but I really have no idea how many vouchers there were).

So instead of having a guy sign from 1-1:30 and the next guys from 1:30-2, they just signed until that sessions vouchers were done? So, if you were lucky enough to get the session with JV, you were guaranteed to get him, didn't matter how long he took signing or taking pics?

Could you keep getting more vouchers or did they monitor that?

So instead of having a guy sign from 1-1:30 and the next guys from 1:30-2, they just signed until that sessions vouchers were done? So, if you were lucky enough to get the session with JV, you were guaranteed to get him, didn't matter how long he took signing or taking pics?

Could you keep getting more vouchers or did they monitor that?

I guess you could get more of these little vouchers but the lines were so long that you had no chance. They handed the vouchers to people when, I would say that on average you were 100 people away from the signers.

But I think they had scheduled times, like Cabrera would sign until his vouchers were done and then at 2 Verlander would rotate in and sign until his vouchers were signed. This explained the lag times.

But also, you get the vouchers before the next guy rotated in so you didn't know who it was for. We were lucky that Verlander was certainly worth the wait. But if he pauses for photos or whatever then you wait longer despite having the voucher before you are able to go to another line for more autographs, so the longer he took the less time you had for more autographs. Espically true when they closed lines early.

Staff also over estimated the times. For example we were told that they line was closing because it would take an hour to get all the people with vouchers signed, when we had just gone thru and it only took like 20-25 minutes.

I guess you could get more of these little vouchers but the lines were so long that you had no chance. They handed the vouchers to people when, I would say that on average you were 100 people away from the signers.

But I think they had scheduled times, like Cabrera would sign until his vouchers were done and then at 2 Verlander would rotate in and sign until his vouchers were signed. This explained the lag times.

But also, you get the vouchers before the next guy rotated in so you didn't know who it was for. We were lucky that Verlander was certainly worth the wait. But if he pauses for photos or whatever then you wait longer despite having the voucher before you are able to go to another line for more autographs, so the longer he took the less time you had for more autographs. Espically true when they closed lines early.

Staff also over estimated the times. For example we were told that they line was closing because it would take an hour to get all the people with vouchers signed, when we had just gone thru and it only took like 20-25 minutes.

Makes sense. Thanks for sharing.

Sounds like the voucher thing is a good idea, they just need to tweak it. The old way sounded horrible with people saving spots in line and all that mess.

I think I liked how the Indians did their autograph sessions better. They used the voucher system as well but basically you would ask for a voucher and they would give you a ticket to say "session A" then you were guarnteed that autograph. You did not need to wait in line, you could go use the restroom or enjoy other events before entering the line. At one point we had like four vouchers to the Carlos Santana line, we went thru four times. The downside was that they did not release the schedule for when the vouchers would be released but they did release who was signing where and when.

If the Tigers did something like say once you get in line they hand you a voucher, and then you are free to mingle about and then come back later before a certain time expired then it would have reduced a lot of concourse cogestion as well as people being turned away. They would have been able to know earlier that people's waits were not going to be worth it.

I think I liked how the Indians did their autograph sessions better. They used the voucher system as well but basically you would ask for a voucher and they would give you a ticket to say "session A" then you were guarnteed that autograph. You did not need to wait in line, you could go use the restroom or enjoy other events before entering the line. At one point we had like four vouchers to the Carlos Santana line, we went thru four times. The downside was that they did not release the schedule for when the vouchers would be released but they did release who was signing where and when.

If the Tigers did something like say once you get in line they hand you a voucher, and then you are free to mingle about and then come back later before a certain time expired then it would have reduced a lot of concourse cogestion as well as people being turned away. They would have been able to know earlier that people's waits were not going to be worth it.

This sounds like a good way of doing it. The Rays announce the players and times ahead of time and then it's just a waiting game, so you spend all day in line. The one thing I do like is that line A is usually the stars, B is the next level, C is prospects etc. So if you wait all day in the "A" line for Longoria and his time runs out, the next guy up is Price. Then you can decide if you want to wait in line all day for a "star" or go through the other lines. Not bad, but the Indians way sounds pretty good.

Question for those of you with photos, where do you get yours? Ive seen alot of awesome shots, both here and in person, that I havent seen anywhere else. I'd love to get some like that.

Every pic I get signed are ones that I have taken personally during the season. I take a bunch of pics thru out the season then just print them up at Costco. My seats are in the bullpen area so I have alot from there, its funny when I give a pic to Coke to sign and he looks and says "Ah.. that's not right my elbow is to high .. Benoit said the same type of thing, he was striding too far in the pic.

Overall I think it was a fairly good event this year, besides the cold temps while waiting for the gates to open. I was near the front of the line at the 11am gate, and the ticket system seemed to work good the first time through the autograph lines in the Tiger Club but once everyone was inside the park it got pretty unorganized. They made you go back down to the main concourse and then go back up the stairs to the Tiger Club. After the first time through, you had to wait outside in a huge line before you could even get to the stairs going up. Went to the service level autograph areas under section 119 and the line was all the way down to section 130. Still go lucky with the players at the end, got seven with do duplicates.

Crosby, Porcello, Dirks & Benoit on sweet spots

Lobstien, Pena, Worth on multi poster

k4t2dz.jpg

I would personally like to see the tigers do an open autograph session- the whole team- for charity. Tiered pricing (Miggy/Verlander highest). Define the number of tickets you will sell for each athlete. When you hit that number of tickets, that's it for that player. No inscriptions, so you can protect DC sports and others that bring these guys in. Number the tickets and call the numbers in blocks of 50. Keep it One item per person, one of each player per person. Probably no jerseys and/or bats, to keep the pricing somewhat reasonable. 8X10 Pictures, balls, books, something like that, but nothing bigger than that. Highest price would be something like $50-$75 for higher end players. Put them all in a place like Burton Manor in Livonia, or out at the Novi Expo. Do it once a year, perhaps at the beginning of year during first home stand. Coaches, manager, announcers too. That way, people can have a chance to get the players that never do public signings (or do them at such high prices that they are not generally affordable). Advertise it, say this is it for the year. I think they would absolutely rake in the cash for the charity of their choice. And it would alleviate the nonsense of vouchers and cold weather and the stupidity of standing in a cold park during the middle of winter. Then you could still have tiger fest, but make it for the kids, during the summer. Offer pictures with players, let people go on the field, but no autographs at tigerfest.

Of course, that is an autograph collector's opinion, but honestly I think it would do really well. I have heard stories that the montreal canadiens used to do this back in the 50s.

Sounds like a great idea. I think most of us agree that the event has gotten away from the Tigers--and has become somewhat of a mess. Since the Fest left the Joe, it hasn't been the same. I threaten to never go again, but inexplicably find mself in front of CoPa freezing my butt off year after year. I really do believe that this will be the last time--unless they revamp the time, format, etc

I would personally like to see the tigers do an open autograph session- the whole team- for charity. Tiered pricing (Miggy/Verlander highest). Define the number of tickets you will sell for each athlete. When you hit that number of tickets, that's it for that player. No inscriptions, so you can protect DC sports and others that bring these guys in. Number the tickets and call the numbers in blocks of 50. Keep it One item per person, one of each player per person. Probably no jerseys and/or bats, to keep the pricing somewhatreasonable. 8X10 Pictures, balls, books, something like that, but nothing bigger than that. Highest price would be something like $50-$75 for higher end players. Put them all in a place like Burton Manor in Livonia, or out at the Novi Expo. Do it once a year, perhaps at the beginning of year during first home stand. Coaches, manager, announcers too. That way, people can have a chance to get the players that never do public signings (or do them at such high prices that they are not generally affordable). Advertise it, say this is it for the year. I think they would absolutely rake in the cash for the charity of their choice. And it would alleviate the nonsense of vouchers and cold weather and the stupidity of standing in a cold park during the middle of winter. Then you could still have tiger fest, but make it for the kids, during the summer. Offer pictures with players, let people go on the field, but no autographs at tigerfest.

Of course, that is an autograph collector's opinion, but honestly I think it would do really well. I have heard stories that the montreal canadiens used to do this back in the 50s.