KleShreen

Promising lockout news?

From the department if irrelevant coincidences represented as a statistic.... "The last time there was a shortened season the Wings made the Cup Finals"

Sorry, I am gonna have to skip watching this year. I certainly won't be spending any money on it. I was so excited to see my two favorite teams on New Year's Day. Would have been 40,000 from Ontario there - would have been a great bash.

Next question - If the season has been played normally this year, Nick Lidstrom's #5 would have been retired on Friday (that was the plan, when he and the other Wings dignitaries were in town for the Winter Classic anyway). Do they wait until next season to do that now, when some of the bad feelings have gone away?

Next question - If the season has been played normally this year, Nick Lidstrom's #5 would have been retired on Friday (that was the plan, when he and the other Wings dignitaries were in town for the Winter Classic anyway). Do they wait until next season to do that now, when some of the bad feelings have gone away?

I think they use it to try and wipe away some of the bad feelings. So this year.

Looks like the Leafs will have a chance to make the playoffs this year. They always tank near the end.

Training camp is to open wed, thursday or Friday, depending on when the deal gets signed off on.

Sounds like if it's a 50 game season it will start the 15th, and if it's a 48 game season the 19th.

Hopefully that rumor of Free NHL Center Ice is true. At this point they HAVE to do that to get back some of the fans. They have to know that the attendence will be WAYYY down, and don't have anything other than NBCSports to show many games to get people back into the league.

I'll be back eventually, but not this season*. The fact they operate on the assumption they can do whatever they want and know the fans and sponsors will come running back bothers me. Baseball took a beating for four years after their strike, hockey fans need to hold the league's and players' feet to the fire for awhile or this will happen every 8 years. Bettman has not renegotiated a CBA without a work stoppage in his entire tenure all against different PA leaders.

* The only thing we're going to pay for this year is tickets to the night the Wings retire Nick's number. But I'm thinking of leaving right after the ceremony.

Couldn't be happier right now to be getting hockey back. Now while I still hate both sides for not doing a bargaining session like this months ago, I'm happy they saved season.

I would love to get Center Ice for free since I live in Cincinnati now and probably won't be able to get to a game. You almost have to think they have to do that to get fans back or keep them around.

Mostly just excited to watch the Wings take the ice. I think the shortened season helps them as they still are older and if they get hot they can get a decent seed and try to make a run. Still going to be weird not seeing number 5 out there.

From the department if irrelevant coincidences represented as a statistic.... "The last time there was a shortened season the Wings made the Cup Finals"

And the schedule will be the same as it was in 1995, no out-of-conference games.

I just did an evaluation of the Leafs roster, I forgot how bad they stink. If Grabovski stays as the #2 center that means Tyler Bozak will be centering Kessel again. That is just plain ugly.

Mostly just excited to watch the Wings take the ice. I think the shortened season helps them as they still are older and if they get hot they can get a decent seed and try to make a run. Still going to be weird not seeing number 5 out there.

I think a compressed schedule hurts older teams.

Damn. I was really hoping they'd lose the entire season and come back with a smaller NHL and a different Commish next year. I hate Bettman more than I've ever hated any other pro sports executive. I really couldn't care less about the short season that is about to begin.

My-head-says-Who-cares-But-then-my-heart-whispers-You-do-stupid.jpg

Seriously though, I expect to follow the Wings as closely as ever but spend much less time following the rest of the NHL. And I'm pretty sure my interest will drop even further once the Wings are eliminated, especially with the playoffs not starting until the beginning of May this year. I'm not going to "boycott" or protest or anything, I'll just go with the flow of how I'm feeling and right now I'm not really feeling it.

Some interesting peices of the deal.

Trades, cheat deals and more CBA details - Cross Checks Blog - ESPN

COMPLIANCE BUYOUTS

Teams will be allowed up to two buyouts over the next two summers -- 2013 and 2014 -- either one in each summer or two in one summer and none in the other. The new detail here that I found interesting is that any player bought out under these circumstances CANNOT be re-acquired by that same team during the upcoming season, not by waivers, not by trade and not by free-agent signing.

What's with Franzen?

I think he is speculating that the Wings will use one of the buy out clauses for Frazen.

So long Mr. Franzen.

Although inconsistant, Franzen's contract was at least fair under the previous CBA, and it should still be OK in the new CBA. With Filpulla a free agent after this year, unless they figure they can go out and sign a Perry or Nathan Horton (who I'm not sure is any better than Franzen) then you need to keep top 6 guys.

I guess he might be considered a potential player to buy-out, but you could still get value back in a trade as well.

I hate the fact that the owners are permitted to sign players to guaranteed contracts and then void them. How would it look if a player decided he wasn't getting paid enough, so he demand more money? Honor your contract! I know that this happens all the time in the NFL, but that's a whole different setup. ,

Franzen is 33 and signed for 7 more seasons after this one. I just think that unless he gets more consistent, he could be a prime candidate to be bought out after next season. Salary cap is going down, team will be losing some older players in the next couple of seasons and those guys will need to be replaced. 4 Million can go a long ways in the hockey world.

I hate the fact that the owners are permitted to sign players to guaranteed contracts and then void them. How would it look if a player decided he wasn't getting paid enough, so he demand more money? Honor your contract! I know that this happens all the time in the NFL, but that's a whole different setup. ,

The Salary cap is also dropping. Those contracts were signed in a much different financial environment.

I believe from this season to next the Cap will drop 8M

I haven't seen a confirmed number, but I've read it will be at 64.3 next season which would drop it just under 6 mill from this season to next.