Deleterious

Titus Young sent home from facility, will be inactive vs. Texans

They might be pumping up his trade value.

That's probably the "logic" behind Schwartz's statement, but any and every other team the Lions try to fobb Titus Young off on is going to say, "hey we get the internet here too, we know Titus was tanking plays on purpose, thus we know you have virtually no alternative whatsoever to get rid of him, so why the hell would we even trade you a 7th-round pick for him when we know you will be cutting him loose in short order and we can sign him up for nothing (if we were stupid enough to sign him at all)?"

Unless Matt Millen has gotten himself a new GM job. Titus is exactly the kind of player Millen would swap a No. 1 pick for.

That's probably the "logic" behind Schwartz's statement, but any and every other team the Lions try to fobb Titus Young off on is going to say, "hey we get the internet here too, we know Titus was tanking plays on purpose, thus we know you have virtually no alternative whatsoever to get rid of him, so why the hell would we even trade you a 7th-round pick for him when we know you will be cutting him loose in short order and we can sign him up for nothing (if we were stupid enough to sign him at all)?"

Unless Matt Millen has gotten himself a new GM job. Titus is exactly the kind of player Millen would swap a No. 1 pick for.

He's still young and talented. It will be hard to get anything more than a conditional draft choice on a conditional player.

Jake-Taylor-in-Major-League.jpg

"This is the California Penal League. We don't tank plays for personal reasons so cut the cry baby ****. Now you pitched a hell of a game, you wanna finish it don't ya?"

He's still young and talented. It will be hard to get anything more than a conditional draft choice on a conditional player.

The fact he is young and talented is the only reason there is any hope of getting anything at all for him.

Seriously there is no realistic hope of getting anything for him, unless, as posted above, some Millen-level moron is making trade decisions for some other team.

That's not too likely so more than likely the Lions will simply have to bite the bullet, take the cap hit and release him.

Frankly, if I were them, I would try something else: try to conclusively document that Young was intentionally sabotaging plays, sue him for fraud and breach of contract, and go to court to try to terminate his contract without paying him another dime. Maybe even sue him for a couple million bucks claiming his intentional misconduct materially damaged the team on the field and economically. See if you can get some of the money back you already paid him. Drive him into the dirt.

Unfortunately they just fired the WR coach whose testimony would probably be crucial in such a case.

The fact he is young and talented is the only reason there is any hope of getting anything at all for him.

Seriously there is no realistic hope of getting anything for him, unless, as posted above, some Millen-level moron is making trade decisions for some other team.

That's not too likely so more than likely the Lions will simply have to bite the bullet, take the cap hit and release him.

Frankly, if I were them, I would try something else: try to conclusively document that Young was intentionally sabotaging plays, sue him for fraud and breach of contract, and go to court to try to terminate his contract without paying him another dime. Maybe even sue him for a couple million bucks claiming his intentional misconduct materially damaged the team on the field and economically. See if you can get some of the money back you already paid him. Drive him into the dirt.

Unfortunately they just fired the WR coach whose testimony would probably be crucial in such a case.

They may have fired the coach because they put that coach in a position to be the player's mentor. We won't know why, and that isn't a reason to keep a coach.

They may have fired the coach because they put that coach in a position to be the player's mentor. We won't know why, and that isn't a reason to keep a coach.

The reason to keep the coach would have been so they could use the coach's testimony in a lawsuit seeking to terminate Young's contract.

Doesn't matter now -- I suspect Linehan, the QB coach, Schwartz and certainly Stafford would certainly testify that Young was intentionally screwing up plays.

Yeah, so lets get this right. TYS doesn't like the amount of balls thrown to him. He blames the WRs Coach. So instead of dealing with it like an adult, he PURPOSELY lines up in the wrong spot just to show up that coach.

Coach gets fired.

TYS is welcomed back?

Shock that this team never does anything. Total shock.

The lions will definitely bring him back. After all, other teams (Chicago) fire their coaches when they go 10-6. We hang on to ours when he goes 4-12, doesn't win one game in the division and in the process, completely loses the team. So why wouldn't we bring back this sack o' **** prima donna undersized wide receiver who has a history of bringing his parents in when his act grows stale? It makes perfect sense to me.

To basically spell out the point I was making above:

The quarterback of any football team needs to know that the receivers will run the pass patterns as called in the play.

Of course people screw up from time to time -- $#$# happens -- but the QB has to have 100.0000000% confidence that the receivers are going to TRY to run the routes they are supposed to run.

Otherwise the QB ends up throwing the ball to vacant real estate 20 yards from the nearest receiver and ends up looking like an idiot himself, and teammates start thinking, "what the hell is wrong with this QB, he is throwing the ball 20 yards from nobody, why the hell should I bother blocking or running my routes right if the idiot QB is just going to throw the ball blindly 20 yards from nobody."

As the QB and presumably the leader of the team, Stafford cannot put up with this $#$#. Stafford cannot tolerate Titus ever setting foot on the field again while he is QB.

Titus Young Sr. and his parents can come back and say, "oh I was just upset then and now I am happy, everything all straightened out," but what reason is there to think he's not going to get p$$$$ed off about another thing next week and something ELSE 3 weeks from now and decide all of a sudden he doesn't feel like running routes correctly any more (again)?

Bull$#$#$. When a player screws up plays INTENTIONALLY, repeatedly, you have to GET. RID. OF. HIM.

By any means necessary. No matter what it costs.

I remember this clown azz when he was drafted; stating on radio interviews that he was so confident in his talent that he should have been the No 1 overall pick in the draft - and that he should of won the Heisman ! What a Richard !!

I really don't give a crap.  I am not sad. I am glad.  I am tired of star athletes getting away with stuff through high school, through college, into their professional life.   I always had a theory that the reason Aaron Hernandez killed 3 people is that he truly actually thought he could because he'd done so many bad things in his life that were swept away so he could play Saturday and Sunday.   Titus Young was given chance after chance after chance to make it right, he did not.   Could it be mental illness,  maybe, but I think it's unchecked behavior that spiraled and spiraled to the point where he truly believed he was some kind of God and did not have to listen to anybody.  Now he will have to listen to somebody - all the time.  I don't expect that to go well.  I expect to hear he won't be a model prisoner.   Good riddance, Titus.  

I really don't give a crap.  I am not sad. I am glad.  I am tired of star athletes getting away with stuff through high school, through college, into their professional life.   I always had a theory that the reason Aaron Hernandez killed 3 people is that he truly actually thought he could because he'd done so many bad things in his life that were swept away so he could play Saturday and Sunday.   Titus Young was given chance after chance after chance to make it right, he did not.   Could it be mental illness,  maybe, but I think it's unchecked behavior that spiraled and spiraled to the point where he truly believed he was some kind of God and did not have to listen to anybody.  Now he will have to listen to somebody - all the time.  I don't expect that to go well.  I expect to hear he won't be a model prisoner.   Good riddance, Titus.  

It's mental illness.

He may need to be institutionalized for his own safety and the safety of others, but it is sad to see a person imprisoned as a result of mental illness.

16 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I doubt Aaron Hernandez thought people would look the other way if he murdered people because he was good a football.

It worked for OJ Simpson.

Anyways, why do people say Titus Young has a mental illness? Are there reports he has a mental illness?

I don't think OJ killed his estranged wife and her lover because he thought, being a football star 20 years prior and a TV personality post career, he could get away with it.

I rarely think people murder in significant part because they think they can beat a charge later if charged.

17 hours ago, Jason_R said:

It's mental illness.

He may need to be institutionalized for his own safety and the safety of others, but it is sad to see a person imprisoned as a result of mental illness.

Yup. My wife suffers from the same disease, so I'm quite sympathetic. Its amazing how you view mental illness after seeing someone you love struggle with it. 

17 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I doubt Aaron Hernandez thought people would look the other way if he murdered people because he was good a football.

Lol, same

19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Anyways, why do people say Titus Young has a mental illness? Are there reports he has a mental illness?

I believe its bipolar, but there have been a couple things mentioned I guess. Schizophrenia, concussion related stuff etc. 

51 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

I believe its bipolar, but there have been a couple things mentioned I guess. Schizophrenia, concussion related stuff etc. 

Are these actual diagnosis or from fans and armchair psychiatrist?

When TY was incarcerated a few years back, his father said something to the press to the effect that he didn't want to post bail because his son was mentally ill, was not being treated for it, and was a danger to himself and his family. So yes, his father reported it, and yes, those of us who have seen mental illness up close can see the similarities.

I don't see TY as anything like OJ or Hernandez, where one committed a crime of passion and the other has a history of gang involvement. Yes, maybe people (Martin Mayhew) overlooked TY's mental illness based on his athletic production - and chalked up his manic behavior to the standard antics of a self-centered and self-promoting WR. But people just don't do the things that TY did unless they are drunk, high, or crazy.