Deleterious

Titus Young sent home from facility, will be inactive vs. Texans

Anwar Richardson ‏@AnwarRichardson

#Lions coach Jim Schwartz said WR Titus Young was sent home again #NFL. Not part of the team

Anwar Richardson ‏@AnwarRichardson

#Lions coach Jim Schwartz said more news about Titus Young coming today or maybe tomorrow #NFL

Goodbye?

Why has it taken two weeks to get this done?

Young should have been suspended without pay the instant it was confirmed he was in fact intentionally lining up wrong. Right then, right there, not another second.

They didn't have to wait around for Dominic Raiola's approval. As soon as it was confirmed the incident in fact took place Young should have been suspended and a replacement brought in off the waiver wires.

Sounds like they wanted to give him a second chance (which IMO makes sense, he has a lot of talent and with Nate injured he is sort of needed). He didn't take advantage of it, so they sent him home. I don't see anything wrong with that process, it isn't like they gave him another opportunity to mess up a game.

Why has it taken two weeks to get this done?

Young should have been suspended without pay the instant it was confirmed he was in fact intentionally lining up wrong. Right then, right there, not another second.

They didn't have to wait around for Dominic Raiola's approval. As soon as it was confirmed the incident in fact took place Young should have been suspended and a replacement brought in off the waiver wires.

You can't just suspend him without pay for that, he's in a union.

How big of a pain in the arse do you have to be to your team for something like this to happen? Consider that the Lions are DESPERATE for wide receivers now that Broyles is out for the rest of the year. The starting WR for Detroit's next game appear to be CJ and some scrub you traded a 5th round pick for halfway through the year.

Just cut him already. No point in keeping people like this around.

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised they haven't cut him. I'm wondering the reason for this. Is it cap thing? Maybe if they don't officially cut him until a certain date they can play with the numbers. I dunno.

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised they haven't cut him. I'm wondering the reason for this. Is it cap thing? Maybe if they don't officially cut him until a certain date they can play with the numbers. I dunno.

Maybe they realize that someone will be willing to trade for him, so they will hold on to him until then.

At some point I would suspect this will become an issue, since up until today I had heard no suggestion that Young was injured, but had been deliberately insubordinate during a game.

So I would bet some opposing team (Packers? Bears?) might claim Young is not legitimately injured and the roster space should not be opened.

Of course then the alternative would be to suspend him as I suggested several posts above.

IMO if it could be documented by testimony by coaches and players he was deliberately screwing up plays, that of course constitutes insubordination, and maybe of more interest to Roger Goodell, COULD be interpreted as a form of game-throwing or point-shaving.

I would guess Stafford might be the source of some of this testimony. First of all as the QB he would KNOW when people were lining up wrong, and second HE (Stafford) is the guy who looks bad when he throws to spots where receivers are supposed to be, if they had lined up right, and they aren't there because they decided to line up wrong on purpose in order to say "F U" to the coaches.

Of course Stafford probably doesn't want to go public and testify against a teammate but on the other hand he could say, "when you line up wrong and screw up the entire pass pattern and then I throw the ball 25 yards from the nearest receiver, I look like an idiot, people say, 'what the hell's wrong with Stafford, nobody was within 25 yards of that ball,' so if somebody is gonna go down over it, it is gonna be you, not me."

Edited by TJ

At some point I would suspect this will become an issue, since up until today I had heard no suggestion that Young was injured, but had been deliberately insubordinate during a game.

So I would bet some opposing team (Packers? Bears?) might claim Young is not legitimately injured and the roster space should not be opened.

Of course then the alternative would be to suspend him as I suggested several posts above.

IMO if it could be documented by testimony by coaches and players he was deliberately screwing up plays, that of course constitutes insubordination, and maybe of more interest to Roger Goodell, COULD be interpreted as a form of game-throwing or point-shaving.

I would guess Stafford might be the source of some of this testimony. First of all as the QB he would KNOW when people were lining up wrong, and second HE (Stafford) is the guy who looks bad when he throws to spots where receivers are supposed to be, if they had lined up right, and they aren't there because they decided to line up wrong on purpose in order to say "F U" to the coaches.

Of course Stafford probably doesn't want to go public and testify against a teammate but on the other hand he could say, "when you line up wrong and screw up the entire pass pattern and then I throw the ball 25 yards from the nearest receiver, I look like an idiot, people say, 'what the hell's wrong with Stafford, nobody was within 25 yards of that ball,' so if somebody is gonna go down over it, it is gonna be you, not me."

You're putting too much thought into this and you need to stop. That single post you did more evaluation and thinking than Titus Young has done in a year. He's gone. He's done and trust me on this - he'll never be a significant player in the NFL. Reputations don't get kept secret. Someone will give him a shot - and he'll **** it up. He's just one of those guys. He'll end up in jail for something eventually. He's a loser.

Kid is a pain in the butt and will likely never see another snap in a Lions uniform after this. Good riddance.

Who's excited for Lions number 2 receiver Mike Thomas and number 3 Brian Robiskie?!

Nate Burleson?

Nate Burleson?

I.R. Out for the season with a broken leg. This started Titus downfall because the Lions started using Ryan Broyles more and Ryan Broyles actually ran the routes he was supposed to and they started throwing him the ball more and Titus started sulking.

I.R. Out for the season with a broken leg. This started Titus downfall because the Lions started using Ryan Broyles more and Ryan Broyles actually ran the routes he was supposed to and they started throwing him the ball more and Titus started sulking.

I know he's on the IR. My comment was more to the fact that there was rumbling after Titus's "breakout" game that Nate would be cut or traded in the off-season since Titus was "ready" to take over for him and Broyles was going to take the #3 role.

That's clearly not going to happen now.

Well Dom Raiola has little room to bag on anyone after not knowing NOT to snap the ball in OT vs a crappy Tennessee team. So he should shut the hell up himself.

A miscommunication/mistake has nothing to do with a purposeful sabotaging of your own team. Good lord

Regarding Raiola:

One of my sisters (I have six) once was married to an idiot who compensated for his general lack of knowledge by interjecting himself into every conversation and offering (bad) council to anyone who would listen. For 6 years I never once(!) heard the man offer anything insightful or useful.

Then one day he did. He actually said something profound.

The point being, if someone says something that is right / correct, it is right / correct independent of how often they have been wrong in the past. The converse is true as well.

Last week, Mike Thomas showed that he can't catch the ball. As a receiver, that is not good.

Given that the season is in the garbage already, the Lion's should have TO and Chad Johnson in for a tryout. I have heard they are in great shape and ready to go. Give them contracts that say at the first sign of trouble, contract is gone and they are cut.

Edited by nd1377

A miscommunication/mistake has nothing to do with a purposeful sabotaging of your own team. Good lord

No, it is not the same, but an 11 year veteran making that kind of mistake is unacceptable to me and I am tired of it because he's been flapping his gob (a saying from my dad) for years. The reason I don't have a problem with Backus is I don't ever recall Backus saying much of anything to draw attention to himself. He just quietly does an adequate-to-good job. Plus, I don't think it's right to slam a teammate publicly like that. Plus he went to Michigan which makes him cooler than Raiola, you or me in the first place. Stafford and Calvin probably have plenty to say about TYS but they don't. Let the coach say it. Coach's "unless he doesn't show up" remark today was a pretty fierce shot.

Stafford and Calvin probably have plenty to say about TYS but they don't.

Even typically reserved Calvin Johnson called out Titus Young - MLive.com

Titus not being here – he’s been a distraction the last few weeks whether it being him just not being fully prepared or not showing up to things when we have things on the schedule – him not being there on time. It’s just him not being a professional, put it like that. Pointblank, simple.

No, it is not the same, but an 11 year veteran making that kind of mistake is unacceptable to me and I am tired of it because he's been flapping his gob (a saying from my dad) for years. The reason I don't have a problem with Backus is I don't ever recall Backus saying much of anything to draw attention to himself. He just quietly does an adequate-to-good job. Plus, I don't think it's right to slam a teammate publicly like that. Plus he went to Michigan which makes him cooler than Raiola, you or me in the first place. Stafford and Calvin probably have plenty to say about TYS but they don't. Let the coach say it. Coach's "unless he doesn't show up" remark today was a pretty fierce shot.

I cannot comprehend the idea of not wanting a leader of the team(like it or not, he is) to speak up on such an issue. Its just absolutely blows my mind. This is exactly what this team needed after all the discipline issues they've had. Someone needs to let it be known in that lockerroom that there is a standard to be upheld.

The "knee injury" is a load of horse caca and everybody knows it.

Apparently the Lions are afraid of breathing the words "suspended without pay."

As noted above, this is actually a form of game-throwing: what's really the difference between a player screwing up plays on purpose as a "F U" to the coaching staff and a player screwing up plays on purpose because he's getting paid by Vito the Gangster to fix the game?

No team and for that matter the commissioner should ever tolerate that crap -- it should be grounds for instant suspension without pay. Bang, zoom, end of story.