hail2mich

GDT: Iowa at #23 Michigan 11/17/2012

Should Hoke get some criticism for waiting all year to put Devon Gardner in at QB?

The only criticism I have is not having him ready to play for the Nebraska game. This was Denard's team, and it wasn't going to change.

Michigan is 14-0 at home under Hoke.

I keep pinching myself waiting to wake up when it comes to Hoke. Can this guy really have no holes in his game? Top ten recruiting classes, flexibility on offense, commitment to big time defense, solid coordinators, handles the press without getting people PO'd....

There has to be something not to like.

The only criticism I have is not having him ready to play for the Nebraska game. This was Denard's team, and it wasn't going to change.

Will be interesting to see what he does in the pros. QB is out of the question. But he has too much talent not to play somewhere.

I keep pinching myself waiting to wake up when it comes to Hoke. Can this guy really have no holes in his game? Top ten recruiting classes, flexibility on offense, commitment to big time defense, solid coordinators, handles the press without getting people PO'd....

There has to be something not to like.

Other than trying to make denard into a pocket passer he's been spot on with everything he's done.

That and the inexplicable decision not to play Gardner against Nebraska. But nobody's perfect.

can everyone admit that Gardner is a stud? Even Pyro? :)

Gardner had not taken any reps at QB prior to the Nebraska game. So why would you put him in?

And that is my biggest criticism of Hoke, depending on Bellomy for backup when you had a 5 star waiting patiently. I understand the reason for him at WR but he should have still been the backup QB.

Given that WR was a new position for Gardner I see it as very reasonable that he would devote all his practice time there. Freshmen QBs do start at UM though it was unfortunate for Bellomy it had to begin against a very good Nebraska team at Nebraska.

Nobody has been a bigger fan of DG than me, going back to when he was in high school. But I am withholding judgement until I see him next week at OSU.

Given that WR was a new position for Gardner I see it as very reasonable that he would devote all his practice time there. Freshmen QBs do start at UM though it was unfortunate for Bellomy it had to begin against a very good Nebraska team at Nebraska.

Impressive freshmen start at UM, but rarely ordinary freshmen especially at QB.

Impressive freshmen start at UM, but rarely ordinary freshmen especially at QB.

So you rather have had Gardner practice and start at WR, a position that was still new to him yet also practice to be backup QB. Really. That's a recipe for Gardner to fail at both.

Gardner had not taken any reps at QB prior to the Nebraska game. So why would you put him in?

Because he gave you a better chance to win than bellomy.

And the fact that he hadn't had any reps at QB is also a bad decision to be laid at the feet of Hoke and Borges.

Because he gave you a better chance to win than bellomy.

And the fact that he hadn't had any reps at QB is also a bad decision to be laid at the feet of Hoke and Borges.

I agree, now if Denard had a Brett Favre like reputation of never getting injured or missing time than I could see having focus more on WR than backup QB. But that is not the case, Denard gets banged up almost every game, and with his build and style he plays you have to figure that there is a decent chance that he would get knocked out of a game. So why not make sure that Gardner is ready just in case? There was simply no excuse for Gardner not being ready to come in when Denard got hurt.

Actually DR has been very durable. In four years this is the first time he's really been injured for any length of time. Which is probably why Gardner wanted to do something other than sit on his butt all these years.

Actually DR has been very durable. In four years this is the first time he's really been injured for any length of time. Which is probably why Gardner wanted to do something other than sit on his butt all these years.

It's the first time that he's missed any time but it's not like he hasn't been banged up, plenty of times he needed medical attention during the game. Granted the vast majority of the time he returned quickly, but the fact remains that when you get beat up that much and carry the ball that much and are built the way he is that sooner or later you are going to get hurt. I could see Devin wanting to play WR to get on the field, but if that were the case I would've made sure that he still took reps at QB just in case something like this happened.

... I could see Devin wanting to play WR to get on the field, but if that were the case I would've made sure that he still took reps at QB just in case something like this happened.

That is easy to say from here, but there is little enough practice time to learn one new position, let alone stay up on two when the second is QB

In a perfect world the coaches would switched to this arrangement (gardner at QB and DR playing all over) earlier this season. But I don't know about the ramifications with team cohesion and what would looked to have been pulling the rug out from DR's team. But DR just can't throw the football. The offense turned one dimensional with that center option play which they ran with impunity with less and less effectiveness. Teams didn't give a $&@: about the passing game....DR was about the worst in the Big Ten in pct. and in the bottom half in yards. Gardner was ranked number one by Rivals as a dual threat QB when he arrived at UM. I look forward to him next year.

That is easy to say from here, but there is little enough practice time to learn one new position, let alone stay up on two when the second is QB

If that's the case than he shouldn't of been playing WR to begin with, like I said before, as reckless and slight of build as Denard is you should have a premium backup QB ready, because even though he technically didn't leave early or miss time due to injury in the previous 2 years(there were games where he missed time due to injury but since it was a blowout they kept him out) you'd have to think it was only a matter of time. Plus on top of the injury part, it's not like Denard was playing well this year anyway, you would think you'd have Gardner ready if/when Denard struggles. I really don't see how people could possibly defend Hoke here.

If that's the case than he shouldn't of been playing WR to begin with, like I said before, as reckless and slight of build as Denard is you should have a premium backup QB ready, because even though he technically didn't leave early or miss time due to injury in the previous 2 years(there were games where he missed time due to injury but since it was a blowout they kept him out) you'd have to think it was only a matter of time. Plus on top of the injury part, it's not like Denard was playing well this year anyway, you would think you'd have Gardner ready if/when Denard struggles. I really don't see how people could possibly defend Hoke here.

Hindsight is usually 20-20. Denard doesn't go down, you waste one of the best athletes on your team, who for all we know might even have a mind to transfer for his desire to get on the field, versus you let him play receiver and you give up the balance of a game Denard goes down in because he isn't ready to step in at QB till the next game. I don't see a right/wrong answer on this one. We don't know the dynamics between the two players and the coaches, and we don't know how good Bellamy might have been looking in practice with the second team. Maybe Hoke was wrong, maybe not, but without info available only inside Schembechler Hall we are not likely going to find out enough to judge and even if we had all the info Hoke had it might still be no better than flip a coin either way.

Should Hoke get some criticism for waiting all year to put Devon Gardner in at QB?

No way. He should get credit for putting Gardner at WR and doing what he could to get him on the field. He should also get credit for not being stubborn and immediately putting Gardner back at QB after seeing what Bellomy had at Nebraska.

I think hike and Borges didn't like what they saw from Gardner leading up to this season. I think the move to WR was made more because they didn't think he could be a good QB.

I also think that is the reason that they haven't applied for the medical redshirt yet. I think they wanted to move on after four years were up.

His play in the last three games has probably changed that.

I think hike and Borges didn't like what they saw from Gardner leading up to this season. I think the move to WR was made more because they didn't think he could be a good QB.

I also think that is the reason that they haven't applied for the medical redshirt yet. I think they wanted to move on after four years were up.

His play in the last three games has probably changed that.

Devin Gardner applied for a Medical Red Shirt in March of 2011. They have wanted that extra year since he missed 2010 with a back injury. You have to wait until your 4th year of eligibility to find out if you get the extra year or not.

As far as not using Gardner earlier, this was Denard's team, everyone knew it. Now that he got injured and Gardner has showed how good he is, it his team. DR is on his way out the door and Devin will probably have two years left.