MC24

2013 NFL Draft Thread

If Smith was being rumored as the #1 pick for the last two months, I doubt his bowl game is going to kill him more. He has been pretty bad for a while now and he's still projected to go #1.

He's been falling since their 1st loss, followed by 4 more. He can't make a 2nd read. No way he goes #1, especially if Reid is the HC in KC. It'll either be Glennon or not a QB. I'm thinking Joeckel at this point to be honest. I'm thinking maybe Alex Smith for the Chiefs.

Funny because most of the sites are talking about how he proved he has the athleticism to stay at LT and hang with a guy like Clowney. You aren't going to completely take away a guy like that. He held him to zero sacks though. Here's an article on the subject titled "Taylor Lewan, Michigan's brightest star in loss"

Outback Bowl 2013: Taylor Lewan Brightest Star for Michigan in Loss | Bleacher Report

I would consider getting called for holding basically a sack. Same with a personal foul, although I don't remember if Lewan committed that against Clowney, I don't believe he did. And the Denard TFL was atrocious, at best. As for the article you posted...anyone can post things on BR. I can go on there right now saying Eastern Michigan should be the hands down favorites for the 2014 BCS National Title and have it posted within minutes.

I would consider getting called for holding basically a sack. Same with a personal foul, although I don't remember if Lewan committed that against Clowney, I don't believe he did. And the Denard TFL was atrocious, at best. As for the article you posted...anyone can post things on BR. I can go on there right now saying Eastern Michigan should be the hands down favorites for the 2014 BCS National Title and have it posted within minutes.

Whatever,I don't even like Bleacher report. Other sites have said Lewan secured his spot high in the draft, as a LT due to his performance. You aren't going to have a perfectly clean day against Clowney. He had a great half against him and that's hard enough to do.

There are others in the mix, such as Tajh Boyd.

Boyd's an interesting case. Guys like Wilson and Griffin doing so well probably helped his stock. I think Wilson and Manuel will make a run at it too.

Boyd's an interesting case. Guys like Wilson and Griffin doing so well probably helped his stock. I think Wilson and Manuel will make a run at it too.

I read on Twitter, I THINK it was Matt Miller (or some other respected mocker, sorry I can't remember exactly, I follow a couple) that they think Manuel will be a 6th rounder-UFA.

A lot of talk on Twitter today by some NFL Draft Scout people who say they could see Te'o falling out of the top 15 because he's not going to grade out well at the combine. He's not huge, not that fast, not that quick, not that powerful, etc. Lots of people going "will probably fall to Baltimore or Pittsburgh and be a stud."

You don't get projected to go #1 overall if you can't make a few plays against top LTs.

It's like terrorism...homeland security has to stop them every time. They need to succeed once to make the headlines.

Gholston is coming out. You take a guy like Te'o at 5, the best safety left in rd 2 and look at a guy like Gholston at the top of rd 3 or take a look at a RB like Kenjon Barner at the top of rd 3.

I read on Twitter, I THINK it was Matt Miller (or some other respected mocker, sorry I can't remember exactly, I follow a couple) that they think Manuel will be a 6th rounder-UFA.

I think that's probably a stretch. I'm not a huge Manuel fan, but I"m guessing if he and Geno had switched colleges at the start of their careers, our opinions of them would be reversed as well. They both have generally the same skillet and same weaknesses(making reads, accuracy) and Manuel is probably a little more athletic. Both should probalby be 2nd or 3rd round projects.

It's like terrorism...homeland security has to stop them every time. They need to succeed once to make the headlines.

Gholston is coming out. You take a guy like Te'o at 5, the best safety left in rd 2 and look at a guy like Gholston at the top of rd 3 or take a look at a RB like Kenjon Barner at the top of rd 3.

I like this plan.

However, part of me is worried about Te'o not testing out that well like the post above you mentions. Te'o has to have a good combine to go top 5.

I like this plan.

However, part of me is worried about Te'o not testing out that well like the post above you mentions. Te'o has to have a good combine to go top 5.

Some scouting services are questioning Te'o's speed and coverage ability already !

Some scouting services are questioning Te'o's speed and coverage ability already !

His lack of coverage ability is the reason he came back and I think he improved. This debate reminds me of the Ray Malalugua (sp?)debate when he came out. The geniuses at 97.1 had everyone convinced of Ray going in the top 6 picks and he ended up being a 2nd round pick. I think Te'o is a more complete player but wouldn't be surprised at all if he were to go between 10-15 just because of being an ILB. I won't be shocked if the Lions pass on him.

His lack of coverage ability is the reason he came back and I think he improved. This debate reminds me of the Ray Malalugua (sp?)debate when he came out. The geniuses at 97.1 had everyone convinced of Ray going in the top 6 picks and he ended up being a 2nd round pick. I think Te'o is a more complete player but wouldn't be surprised at all if he were to go between 10-15 just because of being an ILB. I won't be shocked if the Lions pass on him.

It was well-documented that Maulagua's knock was that he was never able to study a playbook and understand it. USC basically just let him run around and use his physical talent to succeed. Te'o the complete opposite. Knock is his physical talent now.

It was well-documented that Maulagua's knock was that he was never able to study a playbook and understand it. USC basically just let him run around and use his physical talent to succeed. Te'o the complete opposite. Knock is his physical talent now.

Yeah, no kidding.

Spielman managed to be pretty useful without great speed. Of course if he had had speed too....

I remember the year Ray Lewis was drafted. They kept talking about his weaknesses over and over and he fell to number 26 in the draft. He turned out all right.

Whoever the Lions draft, I hope he can make an instant impact for the Lions. They can't afford a bust at number 5.

Luke Joeckel is easily the best player in this Draft. No doubt in my mind now.

One of the best LT prospects in some time.

Who's going to take a flyer on the honey badger? His sportscenter interview this morning was rather compelling.

Who's going to take a flyer on the honey badger? His sportscenter interview this morning was rather compelling.

He's 5' 8" with average speed. I think he is an UDFA signing.

He's 5' 8" with average speed. I think he is an UDFA signing.

Analyzing a player on combine stats is a dangerous game. Ball hawk skills can't be measured by things like speed.

Someone will draft him.

Analyzing a player on combine stats is a dangerous game. Ball hawk skills can't be measured by things like speed.

Someone will draft him.

I'm not basing it on combine stats but ball hawking is definitely affected by speed.You can't make a play if you aren't in the play. I think this guy is a one year wonder . Maybe a better fit as a safety with some additional body mass. Oh, and Punk42 makes the best point.

Luke Joeckel is easily the best player in this Draft. No doubt in my mind now.

One of the best LT prospects in some time.

really hoping Joeckel makes it to 5. Not looking that way.

Would take a late round flyer on Honey Badger. He wont test well put he was a playmaker at LSU. If he cant put offield troubles behind him I m not going to get upset about rolling the dice with a late 4th comp or 5th round pick.

I think Gholston is 34 end in the nfl. He only has a bull rush and is really good against the run not much of a pass rusher. I could see him going to a team like Pitt in the 3rd and being really good. Unless we go to 34 Id rather not take him.

I'm not basing it on combine stats but ball hawking is definitely affected by speed.You can't make a play if you aren't in the play. I think this guy is a one year wonder . Maybe a better fit as a safety with some additional body mass. Oh, and Punk42 makes the best point.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying, but you can't teach instincts. Mathieu has limitations in speed and size, but makes up for it in instincts. He would be a good nickleback, someone who can go make a play, cause a turnover. He has Tillman like stripping skills.

He takes a lot of risks though, I wouldn't project him as a starter. But I would have no issue taking him with a 5th or 6th round pick, assuming he actually has got hit drug problem figured out.