MC24

2013 NFL Draft Thread

I saw almost every site giving the Lions Moore when the Lions were 11th/12th. Now up at 5th, I'm seeing a lot of Joeckel and Lewan. I'm a Michigan fan, but the last thing the Lions need is another undisciplined, penalty-prone headcase, this time on the offensive side of the ball (Lewan).

Then again, I'm also seeing Moore moving up in almost every mock draft, as well.

Yah, no thanks on Lewan. I don't see how we can walk away from this draft without either one of the top 3 pass rushers or Teo. Unless Banks or Miller comes to be viewed as a unanimous top 5 caliber talent I guess.

The safety position is loaded in this draft. The Lions need safeties more than they need CB's in my opinion. They just drafted 3 CB's last year. All three look good.

Yah, I say add in a cheap veteran to Houston and the 3 rooks. Hopefully we can add a S or 2 in the middle rounds.

Yah, I say add in a cheap veteran to Houston and the 3 rooks. Hopefully we can add a S or 2 in the middle rounds.

Houston is a FA.

The CB that they just signed, Ron Bartell , was signed to a Two-year deal, with a million next season, so unless He bombs out , that's another CB on the roster for next year....makes it less likely a CB will be drafted early.

Here's the current Detroit Lions depth chart via their website. Bolded are the positions that I believe need to be improved for the Lions to be a legitimate playoff contender. Not just make the playoffs, but actually be competitive in the playoffs. And when I say "need to be improved" I'm talking about only talent. Not taking in to account that Avril could be gone based on contractual obligations, etc. I also put numbers after the positions to rank them in terms of how important I think it is to improve that position. Only in my opinion, obviously.

QB: Stafford, Hill, Moore

RB: Leshoure, Bell, Smith, Logan, (Best) (11)

WR1: Durham, Thomas, Robiskie, (Broyles), (Young) (12)

WR: Johnson, Osgood, Durham, (Burleson)

TE: Pettigrew, Chapas (8)

TE: Scheffler, Heller (8)

LT: Backus, Reiff, Fox (5)

LG: Sims

C: Raiola, Gandy (6)

RG: Peterman, (Nagy) (7)

RT: Cherilus, Hilliard (4)

LDE: Avril, Jackson

DT: Hill, Nwagbuo, (Fairley)

DT: Suh, Fluellen, (Williams)

RDE: Vanden Bosch, Young, Lewis (9)

OLB: Durant, Whitehead

MLB: Tulloch, Palmer, Lewis

OLB: Levy

LCB: Houston, Green, (Lacey), (Greenwood) (10)

RCB: Florence, Lee, Bartell, (Bentley) (1)

SS: Carey, Johnson, (Spievey) (2)

FS: Delmas, Silva, Wendling (3)

I think numbers 1-7 are pretty self-explanatory. I feel that TE is a need because the current TE's on the roster are all below average at best at blocking and Pettigrew in particular is a bust, IMO. The lack of discipline at that position has killed the Lions over the last couple years, the lack of clutch play, just not having a head in the game at that position, etc. 9 and 10, also obvious. Houston I think is a decent starting NFL corner back and could be a #2 CB on a Super Bowl team.

I feel that RB is a need because I think the Lions need to realize that their bread and butter as long as Stafford and Johnson are on this team is throwing the ball out of the shot gun. With that said, I feel like the Lions need to get an RB to match that scheme. Leshoure and Bell are guys who belong in a single back, under-center offense and do not have the quicks to play in an offense that would best suit this team's strength. A guy like Kenjon Barner or Kadeem Carey or...Jahvid Best. Guys who do their best work outside of the tackles, or on draws, or catching the ball out of the backfield.

Burleson is a good complimentary WR, but I feel is better suited for the slot. I think to make Johnson even more effective (and Stafford!) is to find another red zone and deep threat. A tall WR who might not be a burner, but a guy who can command a double team or at least make a safety think twice before committing to Calvin's side of the field. I don't feel that Burleson, Broyles or Young are guys who can do that.

I actually think LB is the strongest unit on the defensive side of the ball. Sure, none of them are Patrick Willis, but I feel like the entire starting group can be a starting unit on a deep playoff team. They are consistent and don't make a ton of mistakes and I think would be last on the list of defensive positions to be improved. Of course, that is assuming the Lions aren't counting on much pressure from their LB's. If the team decides they want pass-rushing LB's, then that's a different story, because none of the current group can do that.

Edited by KleShreen

What changed from last year when they were a legitimate playoff contender? Alot depends on who is available (injuries), and the amount of cap space they are able to come up with.

What changed from last year when they were a legitimate playoff contender? Alot depends on who is available (injuries), and the amount of cap space they are able to come up with.

They were extremely lucky last year with turnovers and this year they were unlucky with turnovers.

That's the difference. Most NFL teams could go 10-6 with the Lions turnover ratio from last year.

The Lions are an 8-8 team like almost everyone else in the NFL. If they get lucky, they can win ten, if they get unlucky they can lose 10. If they get unlucky, injuries, and bad execution/talent, they can go 4-12.

I think a major problem was the lack of coverage ability in the secondary , caused fewer blitzing and hurt the pass rush and sacks .

I think Houston is a good corner. The other corner spot has been a problem.

I don't see them drafting a corner this year. They have more pressing needs at safety, defensive end, and linebacker.

They were extremely lucky last year with turnovers and this year they were unlucky with turnovers.

That's the difference. Most NFL teams could go 10-6 with the Lions turnover ratio from last year.

The Lions are an 8-8 team like almost everyone else in the NFL. If they get lucky, they can win ten, if they get unlucky they can lose 10. If they get unlucky, injuries, and bad execution/talent, they can go 4-12.

I agree, not much difference in this season vs. the last but a number of weird plays that lead to losses instead of a number of weird plays that lead to wins. No need to panic, just need to get good enough to where those weird plays don't matter.

I love me some Jarvis Jones, but he has a degenerative disorder called spinal stenosis that is characterized by a narrowing of the spine. Marcus McNeill had the same thing and his career ended at age 28. It also is the disorder that prevented Cooper Manning from playing football. It just scares the crap out of me with such an important pick. The man is a beast though, no doubt about it.

Then that's who'll the Lions will draft. Past injuries seem no concern to them, even huge red flags that every other team sees.

I think Houston is a good corner. The other corner spot has been a problem.

I don't see them drafting a corner this year. They have more pressing needs at safety, defensive end, and linebacker.

But Houston is going to be a FA, unless the Lions designate him as the franchise player. And then it's good-bye to Avril.

I would take the best player for the secondary, whether a safety or CB. If need be, trade down or take a player some team below us really wants and work out a trade to get more picks.

I see we're tied with Oakland and the Eagles for the 3rd pick. Who has the tie-breaker if we all lose out? We beat Philly but it may be a different tie-breaker other than head-to-head?

But Houston is going to be a FA, unless the Lions designate him as the franchise player. And then it's good-bye to Avril.

I would take the best player for the secondary, whether a safety or CB. If need be, trade down or take a player some team below us really wants and work out a trade to get more picks.

I see we're tied with Oakland and the Eagles for the 3rd pick. Who has the tie-breaker if we all lose out? We beat Philly but it may be a different tie-breaker other than head-to-head?

If the choice is Avril or Houston, give me Houston. Avril isn't very good and someone else will pay him more than he's worth. Young/Jackson can do just as good of a job as Avril.

I disagree, it doesn't have as much to do with luck as it does injuries, schedule, and talent level. With their injuries this year, the Lions don't have the talent they had last year, and they're playing a much tougher schedule. They don't have to be better than the NFL, they just have to be better than the teams in their division. That's a more achievable goal, and take it from there. I think that's how most NFL teams operate.

If the Lions lose next week, it looks like they'll pick fifth, where a certain #5 from Notre Dame might be available. He might not even be the best pick there, should be plenty of DE's there. Only if there is an Aldon Smith type, though.

I disagree, it doesn't have as much to do with luck as it does injuries, schedule, and talent level. With their injuries this year, the Lions don't have the talent they had last year, and they're playing a much tougher schedule. They don't have to be better than the NFL, they just have to be better than the teams in their division. That's a more achievable goal, and take it from there. I think that's how most NFL teams operate.

The problem is coaching and Mayhew. Where as most teams have gotten better due to improvents from younger players and/or draft picks the last 2 seasons the Lions have gotten nothing. The Lions have basically gotten nothing from their last 2 drafts which has absolutely killed them. Now if they were head and shoulders better than everybody 2 years ago they could afford getting nothing from their last 2 drafts, but that obviously isn't the case. You could argue that they have gotten less from their last 2 drafts and offseasons than anybody else in football, and to me that is the biggest reason along with coaching as to why they are in the position they are in.

I think the Lions will get at least two, and probably three comp picks this year. One in either the fourth or fifth round, and the others in the 7th.

I think the Lions will get at least two, and probably three comp picks this year. One in either the fourth or fifth round, and the others in the 7th.

You think so ?? I was thinking they'd get one, for Eric Wright...wasn't sure about Carpenter or Stanton ....I know all they signed had been released before the Lions signed them or had been cut before the final 53-man roster....Hope you are right !

You think so ?? I was thinking they'd get one, for Eric Wright...wasn't sure about Carpenter or Stanton ....I know all they signed had been released before the Lions signed them or had been cut before the final 53-man roster....Hope you are right !

I would expect a 7th for Stanton, and probably a wrap around pick to the lowest picking teams in the league.

By the way, the best player in this draft by far is Manti Te'o. The player who resembles the best fit for what the Lions need is Te'o. It's a perfect match.

• Like 1

I have to both agree and disagree with you. Te'o is a great fit for the Lions but he's not the best player in the draft. I think the best player in the draft on the defensive side would be Jarvis Jones from Georgia. He is more of an impact player with 22.5 TFL and 12.5 sacks while causing 7 fumbles.

Edited by bigtenguy

I have to both agree and disagree with you. Te'o is a great fit for the Lions but he's not the best player in the draft. I think the best player in the draft on the defensive side would be Jarvis Jones from Georgia. He is more of an impact player with 22.5 TFL and 12.5 sacks while causing 7 fumbles.

I disagree there. Jones is a nice player, but not an every down pass rusher with size. He's a 3-4 OLB, and fits the Steelers better than the Lions. Te'o is a better player.