MC24

2013 NFL Draft Thread

I mean, I liked Washington, but the fact that he fell so far is pretty concerning. He had a similar athletic(and production) profile to Ansah and went 5 rounds later.

I liked our draft. Everyone likes the big name players, but I thought we hit a lot of needs and I'm glad to see us improve the STs. Taylor was a really nice snag, Fuller's a good fit for what we need at WR, Riddick can be a versatile playmaker and maybe returner and I have wanted a P through the entire process. We need to be better there. I think we were last in net yards last year.

Williams was a guy I really wanted late too, as it looks like Heller isn't coming back and he's a perfect firt for our needs.

I did like Rambo a lot, but he's another guy I worry about after he fell so far. If a troubled, ballhawking DB like Mathieu can go in the 3rd, why else did Rambo fall so far?

I liked the Fauria,Wilson and Carder signing as UDFAs too.

I liked our draft. Everyone likes the big name players, but I thought we hit a lot of needs and I'm glad to see us improve the STs. Taylor was a really nice snag, Fuller's a good fit for what we need at WR, Riddick can be a versatile playmaker and maybe returner and I have wanted a P through the entire process. We need to be better there. I think we were last in net yards last year.

Agreed...it seems like every year we are talking about value over needs at draft time and then we get to the season and we are talking about the same needs killing us over and over again. You are always going to have needs in the NFL but the Lions seem like they hit on their biggest ones early, which we have not done in the past. And it has not worked out that well for us in the past so I am glad we changed it up a little bit.

Sam Martin or the punter the Lions drafted better consistently plant the ball inside the 10 yard line.

If we get some usefull players out of the back end of the draft I will be happy. I looked at the Ravens, Giants and New England's draft and they all took some I would say were a reach based on Mayock's ratings or your favorite mock draft site.

The bottom line is we're talking about players 49 -53 on the roster. I think most teams have more confidence with a Ivy leaguer, a good chatacter guy or small school kid, then someone who had arrests, failed drug tests and questionable attitude. We already have trouble with accountability with our current roster. Not sure it's worth the risk, especially for a kid like Da 'Rick Rogers, Kenny Stills and Bacari Rambo, who more than likely were no where to be found on our draft board. I would be nervous drafting these dudes without at least doing our due dilligence and bring them in for a visit.

10 Best Undrafted Free Agent Signings

Joseph Fauria, TE, Detroit Lions

There is no doubt that Fauria is a tall, gifted pass catcher who can be a real threat in the red zone. Can he be anything more than that? He struggled as a blocker at UCLA and had issues focusing, which scared teams off. That he doesn't do much after the catch doesn't help him either. At 6'7 with long arms and the ability to box defenders out, he's the ultimate red-zone target. That alone makes him valuable, even if that's all he is.

If we get some usefull players out of the back end of the draft I will be happy. I looked at the Ravens, Giants and New England's draft and they all took some I would say were a reach based on Mayock's ratings or your favorite mock draft site.

The bottom line is we're talking about players 49 -53 on the roster. I think most teams have more confidence with a Ivy leaguer, a good chatacter guy or small school kid, then someone who had arrests, failed drug tests and questionable attitude. We already have trouble with accountability with our current roster. Not sure it's worth the risk, especially for a kid like Da 'Rick Rogers, Kenny Stills and Bacari Rambo, who more than likely were no where to be found on our draft board. I would be nervous drafting these dudes without at least doing our due dilligence and bring them in for a visit.

Correct.

The only problem I have is not taking Cornelius Washington over the punter.

I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt, because they know Washington - but if he has success in Chicago, I am going to be very disappointed.

I think the they went with role players on the third day and passed on upside value type picks like washington. Taylor, Fuller, and Riddick all have low ceilings but should be able to help the team early. Kind of a meh finish after a nice start IMO.

I think Taylor and Fuller have potential, but I am big on Washington. Taylor, in particular, better.

I am hoping they saw something at the Senior Bowl that made them doubt him, but he wrecked havoc with Ansah.

Taylor seems like a Willie Young type. Has speed for the wide 9 but once a blocker engages him its over. And Fuller is a track guy who can run decent routes and stretch a defense. But he lacks strength and will struggle if/when cb's jam him.

I guess if you think either of them can add strength without sacrificing speed you can see some upside.

NFC Draft Grades

Detroit Lions

Picks: DE Ezekiel Ansah, CB Darius Slay, G Larry Warford, DE Devin Taylor, P Sam Martin, WR Corey Fuller, RB Theo Riddick, TE Michael Williams, LB Brandon Hepburn.

Analysis: Three years from now, this grade has the best chance to look completely foolish because of Ansah. He is likely to either be an amazing pro or a complete bust because of his limited background in the game. He has basically played only one year and didn’t grow up with the game in Africa. Aside from Ansah, the Lions came into this draft with a lot of serious needs, including both defensive end spots and left tackle. With little ability to work a trade, the Lions at least got Ansah and picked up solid values in Slay and Warford. The other guy to pay close attention to is Taylor, who has extraordinary size.

Grade: B

I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt' date=' because they know Washington - but if he has success in Chicago, I am going to be very disappointed.[/quote']

Washington was arrested in 2011 for a DUI. Plus he took a ton of heat from Georgia's fans when he called them out on Facebook after he came to the defense of a teammate who was charged with a felony (Crowell).

He also has a pretty awful tape. Had two sacks in 21 games and was a complete non factor in the run game. His tape is the definition of looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane!!

Edited by benrush

Taylor seems like a Willie Young type. Has speed for the wide 9 but once a blocker engages him its over. And Fuller is a track guy who can run decent routes and stretch a defense. But he lacks strength and will struggle if/when cb's jam him.

I guess if you think either of them can add strength without sacrificing speed you can see some upside.

I see him as a guy who can fill the Jason Jones role in the future.

Washington was arrested in 2011 for a DUI. Plus he took a ton of heat from Georgia's fans when he called them out on Facebook after he came to the defense of a teammate who was charged with a felony (Crowell).

Arrested for DUI, yes - bad. I wouldn't have taken him in the first round...but in the fifth? Not going to knock him for standing up for a buddy.

He also has a pretty awful tape. Had two sacks in 21 games and was a complete non factor in the run game. His tape is the definition of looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane!!

He was an absolute force in the Senior Bowl in our wide nine.

I also would disagree with the notion that Willie Young is a pure finesse player. I remember him destroying Tyson Smith with a straight on bull rush in 2011.

Arrested for DUI' date=' yes - bad. I wouldn't have taken him in the first round...but in the fifth? Not going to knock him for standing up for a buddy.

He was an absolute force in the Senior Bowl in our wide nine.[/quote']

Except we drafted Ansah to play that spot and isn't a complete liability against the run.

Washington is a bit player at best, both De's we drafted have better upside. I do wish we would have taken the tattooed freak from Australia in the fifth.

Taylor is a strong side guy. Long arms and size will help bat balls down and he is serviceable in the run game. Both starters last year were awful in run support and containing the edge. That's where we will see a big upgrade over last year!!!

Except we drafted Ansah to play that spot and isn't a complete liability against the run.

Washington is a bit player at best, both De's we drafted have better upside. I do wish we would have taken the tattooed freak from Australia in the fifth.

There's not a bigger fan of Ansah than me, but you can never have enough pass rushers. This actually goes a bit to one of my larger points of disagreements with our overall roster philosophy - three roster spots at QB.

I would rather have a developmental pass rusher on the roster than Kellen Moore.

Taylor is a strong side guy. Long arms and size will help bat balls down and he is serviceable in the run game. Both starters last year were awful in run support and containing the edge. That's where we will see a big upgrade over last year!!!

Here is is his write up FWIW. You're probaly right that he more of a strong side guy but initially he looks like a 3rd down rush end from the wide 9 with his speed.

Analysis

Strengths: Tall and long with freakishly long wingspan (87"). Long-striding athlete. Very good straight-line speed for his size with good chase skills. Experience standing up and dropping in coverage as well as in a 3-point stance at defensive end.

Nice job holding the edge against the run and keeps his eyes elevated. Usually plays smart with good recognition skills, displaying very good discipline. Doesn't quit and will make plays downfield or away from the line of scrimmage. Get his hands up to deflect passes (18 career passes defended including a pair of interceptions). Good experience as a four-year SEC starter.

Weaknesses: Not a quick-twitch athlete and little snap explosion, especially with his hand on the ground. Tight hips, ankles and lacks natural fluidity to burst to the play, struggling to smoothly redirect. Lean-muscled and will get pushed around, lacking natural power on his frame.

Lacks a feisty temperament and would like to see more of a sense of urgency from him. Good length but needs to generate more power from his upper body. Lacks ideal bulk and might be tapped out in terms of growth potential. Too lethargic at times and doesn't always finish. Declining production the past few years is a red flag.

The Bears said today that they drafted Kyle Long in the 1st basically to deal with Suh. Kind of interesting since so many people act like he's overrated.

The Bears said today that they drafted Kyle Long in the 1st basically to deal with Suh. Kind of interesting since so many people act like he's overrated.

I think Suh was accurately rated last year. He was really good. The year before last he wasn't that great, but last year he was excellent. I'm looking forward to him and Fairly next year.

I agree that he took a bit of a step back in his sophomore year, though not as pronounced as people would have you believe at the same time. I think the perception was worse than reality due to counting stats, which aren't a great indicator.

A few interesting tidbits there. I noticed they had Slay at the top of the 2nd. Kyle Long in the 3rd, EJ Manuel in the 4th.