MC24

2013 NFL Draft Thread

This may be one of my favorite threads of the year.

I can't believe we passed on X in the late 6th round. This is F*cking madness. Why are the lions so stupid.

You do realize 31 other teams have passed on player X some 200 times.

Yeah, i'll never understand why some people get so worked up about 5th-6th round picks. If we even find a regular backup this low in the draft, that's a bonus.

If the punter works out, great. Anything will be an upgrade over what we had the last couple of seasons and if not, it's a 5th round pick, who cares?

Different teams have different needs.All the players I have mentioned have been picked. What a ridiculous post, Cody.

This argument could be made in other situations:

Arian Foster has been one of the best running backs in the league for a few years. Undrafted.

I don't love the pick, but they did grab an extra pick from the trade down in the 5th. If they didn't love anybody in that spot and still got their guy later on, it doesn't seem like a waste.

Except that Foster is the exception, not the rule.

Undrafted punters are the rule, not the exception.

At the end of the day, I don't care. But I think it's silly to draft a punter.

Yeah, i'll never understand why some people get so worked up about 5th-6th round picks. If we even find a regular backup this low in the draft, that's a bonus.

If the punter works out, great. Anything will be an upgrade over what we had the last couple of seasons and if not, it's a 5th round pick, who cares?

Because the teams that hits with the later round picks end up being playoff teams.

I'm liking the Lions draft so far.

Devon Taylor and Cornelius Washington were on my short list of DE's to pick up in the 4-5th after yesterday.

Boyce, Swope, Denard, and Fuller were on my WR short list.

I thought any decent punter would be selected by the Lions in the 6th-7th. I guess late 5th is about the same so... Didn't have Martin on my short list, was looking for Quinn Sharp or Jeff Locke... but If the Lions like him...

It's funny that I had Jesse Williams on my list of DT depth to pick up in the later rounds since that's the guy Seattle took with our original 5th round pick...

Before the 2nd round yesterday I wanted (1) of Amerson, Taylor, or Slay.

Still waiting for Safety depth and I had Phillip Thomas and Bacarri Rambo on my short list... Is Bacarri still available?

I like our draft so far.

Ansah

Slay

Warford

Taylor

Martin

Fuller

Riddick (don't know anything about him... was hoping for Gillislee/ Lattimore/ Barner/ or Denard...)

Williams (caught my eye earlier as a Heller-type/ replacement; but I wasn't really paying attention to the TE's...)

This is pretty much the draft that I expected/ hoped for. I think it's in the B+ / A- range for: filling needs/ talent/ potential/ upside...

OK, I don't see anything on Riddick's return skills after looking his profile up...

Because...

That looks like the only useful thing we can get out of him... I don't like his RB skills (4.7 speed...) or his pass-blocking skills (subpar) or his WR skills (double-clutches, lots of drops, catches with body, etc...)

OK, I don't see anything on Riddick's return skills after looking his profile up...

Because...

That looks like the only useful thing we can get out of him... I don't like his RB skills (4.7 speed...) or his pass-blocking skills (subpar) or his WR skills (double-clutches, lots of drops, catches with body, etc...)

He's listed as a RB but he lined up in a slot a lot of the time. He's a big play guy. I have seen him return punts for ND and if he makes the team he will have to return kicks.

OK... now I officially don't like the Sam Martin selection. I'm going with Buddha on this one...

Instead of Martin we could have selected:

Kenjon Barner (really wanted him!!!) as a returner and backup RB. I liked Andre Ellington a little bit too, but really wanted Barner.

I REALLY liked Rambo for backup Safety depth, with the potential to start...

DeVonte Hollomon was available. I liked him at OLB'er depth...

I liked Cornelius Washington (although he was moot after selecting Taylor...).

I would've gone for Barner.

And I think Martin would have been available at the end of the 6th. Or Quinn Sharp, who has a similar skill-set (good long-average Punter, deep kickoff leg...), and is STILL available...

I don't like Riddick. Do like Barner, a LOT. I'm fine with Martin, but either take him at the end of the 6th or go after Sharp.

My 2 cents.

Dammm!!!

Fragel & Motta were two guys that I really liked!!! Especially Fragel!!! Thought he'd be excellent depth/ competition for Fox/ Hilliard...

Was hoping we'd take BGSU DT Chris Jones at 200 or later, but I'm glad to see the Texans take a flyer on him at 199. He's a quality kid who I think can be a decent part of an NFL rotation as a weak DT

OK... now I officially don't like the Sam Martin selection. I'm going with Buddha on this one...

Kenjon Barner (really wanted him!!!) as a returner and backup RB. I liked Andre Ellington a little bit too, but really wanted Barner.

And I think Martin would have been available at the end of the 6th. Or Quinn Sharp, who has a similar skill-set (good long-average Punter, deep kickoff leg...), and is STILL available...

I don't like Riddick. Do like Barner, a LOT. I'm fine with Martin, but either take him at the end of the 6th or go after Sharp.

My 2 cents.

Word!

Hepburn...? Has good speed for a LB'er... looks like a ST'er and possible developmental guy. Not great in the skills dept. but, if he becomes a good ST'er...

I feel like the Lions had a great Draft.

Ansah: Potential franchise DE. Limitless upside.

Slay: Not the biggest need but they had him as a 1st round talent. He outplayed Banks last year and tested better. Physical, long arms, good man coverage skills...I can dig it.

Warford: I would have liked this guy in the 2nd. 3rd is CRAZY value. Plug and play 10 year starter.

Taylor: Crazy upside too. Long, massive frame. I like that we're getting big guys with long arms on our DL. Taylor, Ansah and Jones all have freakish wingspans.

Punter (forgot his name): I watched a video of him and this dude has one hell of a leg. Not a name but the dude can kick the **** out of the ball. Special teams has been a huge problem for us so I like it.

Corey Fuller: Not my favorite WR left but he does have speed which they want. High upside guy but not sure he can contribute right away.

Riddick: Honestly, this MIGHT be my favorite pick because he can do so much. Line up in slot, backfield and return kicks. Shifty, quicker back with pretty good size.

Williams: Should be a steady TE for years. You think Pettigrew is a good blocker? This guy is 2 times the blocker. It's like having another lineman out there.

Hepburn: Know nothing but he sounds smart.

I'd like to pick up Da'Rick Rogers. Character questions but a LOT of upside. Worth a shot.

UDFA signees for Lions...accordin to twitter

Joseph Fauria TE UCLA

Steven Miller RB Appalachian State

Martevious Neloms Kentucky

Jon Morgan LB Albany

Cody Wilson WR Central Michigan ( Father, Davd, is Lions Team Chaplain)

Skylar Allen C Ohio U.

Edited by Scottish caveman
up date

Ian Rapoport of NFL.com just tweeted that the Lions were gonna take Denard if the Jaguars didn't take him the pick before them.

Did Jordan Kovacs get UDFA anywhere yet?

I see it now...Miami

Edited by ROMAD1

I'd like to pick up Da'Rick Rogers. Character questions but a LOT of upside. Worth a shot.

I see Rogers signed with the Bills.

Edited by bigtenguy

My 2 cents.

I agree with everything, and about Cornelius Washington, I saw many reports that suggested he could play an outside linebacker position for at least three downs and so he could've been used as depth for both positions or converted outright. I don't think the Lions got a ton of value in this draft outside of the Warford pick.