MC24

2013 NFL Draft Thread

Why did they bring in Kick-a-licous? I saw him punt in his videos, why not wait and see on him? Akers as the kicker and Kick-a-licous as the punter.

Can't find anything on Fuller, ESPN has him as the #36 WR and not in the top #250+ players...meh.

I've seen him at both Kansas and VT and what I remember is he has sub par speed off the line. Long strider who takes a while to get his speed up.

They took a punter. No big freaking deal here.

But if there isn't much talent left, why get more picks?

But if there isn't much talent left, why get more picks?

And why not take him later in the draft when he more than likely still would have been available? None of these picks really wow me. They seem to be doing the same thing they do every year, reach on a player coming off injury early on in the draft and then instead of taking a waiver on a player with issues later in the draft they just throw away their picks. Hopefully I'm wrong and some of these players actually provide an impact unlike last years draft class.

They took a punter. No big freaking deal here.

Drafting a punter is dumb. You can pick up a punter as an undrafted free agent. Better to take a chance on an athlete.

Drafting a punter is dumb. You can pick up a punter as an undrafted free agent. Better to take a chance on an athlete.

Agreed.

I don't know that I would have taken a punter in the 5th, but if the talent level isn't all that deep the rest of the way, & you can get somebody who was top 3 in the nation in college at his position, it's probably gonna be okay. The Lions special teams was awful last year.

Unless Sam Martin is good. If he's good, then he's worth it. Especially at the end of round five.

If that was the case wouldn't we already have a better punter? If they just grow on trees then we wouldn't have had to bring back Harris.

If that was the case wouldn't we already have a better punter? If they just grow on trees then we wouldn't have had to bring back Harris.

The Lions incorrectly identified Nick Harris as having talent last year. It had nothing to do with a lack of available options at the end of last year's draft.

Chris Kluwe: I'm the 'best punter in Vikings history' - NFL.com

NEW YORK -- Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe has been one of the better punters in the league since he joined the NFL in 2005. That's why it came as a surprise Saturday when the Vikings took the first punter off the board in the 2013 NFL Draft, Jeff Locke of UCLA. [...]

Kluwe is also one of the best quotes. It's not really fair, but that could be a big reason why the Vikings are looking for a new punter. Special teams coordinator Mike Priefer said in December that Kluwe's "distractions" were "getting old." It's quite possible that the Vikings just want a punter that isn't often in the news.

Best not upset the NFL moneymaking machine...

He has a big leg and can handle kickoffs as well. On average 2 punters are drafted each year, successful franchises like the Patriots, Saints and Steelers have taken punters in the 5th or higher.

I agree, good teams can afford to take a punter, but when you're not a good team and you're actually at the bottom of the league in defensive stats I would think you would want

one of the safeties that have gone in the sixth round. I would have liked to pick Kenjon Barner as a return man and a 3rd down back rather than a punter.

BTW Kluwe has admitted to a number of knee surgeries, I think he said at least 3 surgeries in a recent interview with Aisha Tyler

Kluwe has been one of the best punters in the league for a few years.

Undrafted.

Kluwe has been one of the best punters in the league for a few years.

Undrafted.

This argument could be made in other situations:

Arian Foster has been one of the best running backs in the league for a few years. Undrafted.

I don't love the pick, but they did grab an extra pick from the trade down in the 5th. If they didn't love anybody in that spot and still got their guy later on, it doesn't seem like a waste.

This may be one of my favorite threads of the year.

I can't believe we passed on X in the late 6th round. This is F*cking madness. Why are the lions so stupid.

You do realize 31 other teams have passed on player X some 200 times.

This may be one of my favorite threads of the year.

I can't believe we passed on X in the late 6th round. This is F*cking madness. Why are the lions so stupid.

You do realize 31 other teams have passed on player X some 200 times.

Really? hmmmm... who would of guessed?