MC24

2013 NFL Draft Thread

Not sure he'll be a top five pick like we're likely to have, but I could see a guy like Ezekiel Ansah out of BYU flying up the draft boards. He's 6'6", 270 and should run somewhere between 4.6 and 4.7 at the combine. BYU moved him around a lot, he played a little bit of linebacker and all over the defensive line. Could be a Jason Pierre-Paul type. Keep an eye out.

I love Manti T'eo, but I'm not sure he's a top 5 pick. Damontre Moore is really good, but I'm concerned with his size at DE (listed at 6'4", 250). Jarvis Jones is a beast, but his spinal stenosis scares the crap out of me. Not sure any of the corners will be the BPA where we're picking.

This team isn't good enough to draft BPA.

My philosophy (and I suspect the philosophy of every GM in football) is that you always draft BPA, but you especially draft BPA when you're picking in the top 5. That pick is way too valuable to draft a lesser player for need. I would argue that this team isn't good enough NOT to draft BPA.

That doesn't make any sense. In general, the worse a team is, the more they need to draft BPA.

Not sure he'll be a top five pick like we're likely to have, but I could see a guy like Ezekiel Ansah out of BYU flying up the draft boards. He's 6'6", 270 and should run somewhere between 4.6 and 4.7 at the combine. BYU moved him around a lot, he played a little bit of linebacker and all over the defensive line. Could be a Jason Pierre-Paul type. Keep an eye out.

Agree 100% with this. If we could trade down, get some more picks and get him, I'd be happy.

I actually think a trade down benefits us the most but this FO rarely trades down.

My philosophy (and I suspect the philosophy of every GM in football) is that you always draft BPA, but you especially draft BPA when you're picking in the top 5. That pick is way too valuable to draft a lesser player for need. I would argue that this team isn't good enough NOT to draft BPA.

I agree, except I would add the caveat of BPA in an area of need. I think they have a complex rating system that gives a straight grade, but then also weights it to position based on the the needs of the team/availability of other options, etc.

So you would draft Milliner who is not even a top 10 talent in the top 5 just because the Lions need a corner?

I agree, except I would add the caveat of BPA in an area of need. I think they have a complex rating system that gives a straight grade, but then also weights it to position based on the the needs of the team/availability of other options, etc.

True. Obviously, I don't want them drafting a QB, but that's really the only position that is completely locked down. Maybe DT? Even so, if the front office felt Star Lotulelei was far and away the BPA, I wouldn't make too much of a fuss. I agree with MC24 that trading down and getting more picks would be ideal, but I think it will be difficult especially this year. There really isn't anybody (read: QB) that teams are going to fall in love with and have to trade up for (a la RGIII). Geno Smith and Matt Barkley aren't going to make anyone give up what it would take to move into the top 5.

Well, sorry, but the Lions have drafted BPA how many times in the last 10 years? And how many times was it an actual position of need? Twice? And how much success have the Lions had with that strategy?

Sorry, but this team is going nowhere until the offensive line and defensive secondary are addressed. They are the only positions that have been anywhere from below to average to atrocious each of the last 10 years. Doing the same things over and over again and expecting a different result is insanity. They're going to address them in free agency? Well how often has *that* happened in the last 10 years? What, Dre' Bly? Rob Sims? Nobody who is an improvement is going to willingly come to Detroit in free agency. Sorry.

Yes, yes I would take Johnthan Banks in the top five even if his value is around 15th. Not Dee Millner. Alabama CB's are overrated.

Well, sorry, but the Lions have drafted BPA how many times in the last 10 years? And how many times was it an actual position of need? Twice? And how much success have the Lions had with that strategy?

Sorry, but this team is going nowhere until the offensive line and defensive secondary are addressed. They are the only positions that have been anywhere from below to average to atrocious each of the last 10 years. Doing the same things over and over again and expecting a different result is insanity. They're going to address them in free agency? Well how often has *that* happened in the last 10 years? What, Dre' Bly? Rob Sims? Nobody who is an improvement is going to willingly come to Detroit in free agency. Sorry.

Yes, yes I would take Johnthan Banks in the top five even if his value is around 15th. Not Dee Millner. Alabama CB's are overrated.

Things can change, but his value is probably somewhere in the 20's right now. He doesn't have the speed to be a top 10 corner IMO. Huge reach in the top 5. Would love him in a trade back though.

Has there ever been a team that has come out and said they are drafting need over best player available? I am getting to the point where I just ignore the BPA talk because I think a lot of it is hogwash anyways. The Lions probably won't even consider drafting a running back, tight end, defensive tackle, or quarterback in the first round, which means they probably won't spend a lot of time evaluating players at those positions who would be considered for the first half of the first round of the draft. What they will spend time evaluating is every other position on the field and they will just end up taking the guy like the best at one of those positions.

I would have a hard time passing on Jarvis Jones if he is available. He is a high character kid who also has a ton of talent. Of course, he would probably just be poisoned by our coaching staff and the other idiots we have on this team.

Has there ever been a team that has come out and said they are drafting need over best player available? I am getting to the point where I just ignore the BPA talk because I think a lot of it is hogwash anyways. The Lions probably won't even consider drafting a running back, tight end, defensive tackle, or quarterback in the first round, which means they probably won't spend a lot of time evaluating players at those positions who would be considered for the first half of the first round of the draft. What they will spend time evaluating is every other position on the field and they will just end up taking the guy like the best at one of those positions.

I would have a hard time passing on Jarvis Jones if he is available. He is a high character kid who also has a ton of talent. Of course, he would probably just be poisoned by our coaching staff and the other idiots we have on this team.

I love me some Jarvis Jones, but he has a degenerative disorder called spinal stenosis that is characterized by a narrowing of the spine. Marcus McNeill had the same thing and his career ended at age 28. It also is the disorder that prevented Cooper Manning from playing football. It just scares the crap out of me with such an important pick. The man is a beast though, no doubt about it.

I find your theory here baffling. Not good enough to take bpa? Shouldn't it be the other way around? BPA until you are good enough to take a specific position. Yes, we need help at DB and we have to pay attention to it, but this roster needs more talent, period. This hopefully is our last chance at a top 5 to 10 pick for a while, we have to nail it, not blow it on an inferior talent.

No, the team isn't good enough AT drafting the BPA.

BPA is always the best strategy to follow. The real trick is identifying who really is the best player available. Something the Lions haven't been very good at, especially after round one when it really matters.

BPA is always the best strategy to follow. The real trick is identifying who really is the best player available. Something the Lions haven't been very good at, especially after round one when it really matters.

Now this I can get behind

I want T'eo as much as I wanted Aaron Curry over Matt Stafford, which is quite a lot. What's to say T'eo isn't Aaron Curry 2.0?

Who's to say he isn't Patrick Willis 2.0?

I swear to god. I will set that entire stadium on fire if the Lions fail to draft a first round DB...AGAIN. It's been about eight years now that the Lions have needed DB help and have just entirely disregarded it for some reason. I don't care what you do to fix it, but something has to be done where the team drafts a first round CB or S. There are NO other options. Reach if you have to, I don't care.

You hear this from fans all the time, but BPA is the best strategy going forward. BPA is NOT a general ranking of prospects, but ranked in order of value to a particular team. So a quarterback would not have value and would drop down the list if you have three good ones already, a 4-3 end would not have value to a 3-4 team, etc.. Use the draft to raise the overall talent level as much as possible. Use free agency to fill holes. You never know what will be a need 12 months from now, for example, who would have thought wide receiver would be a position of need? The rookie year is generally one of transition anyway.

This is correct, well said.

Sure, the Lions need help in the secondary, but they need help in other places too. All depends where they land in the draft order and how free agency unfolds.

Looking at the draft boards it does appear that the first round will be defense heavy, I would like to see the Lions make the proper selection.

I'm seeing Damontre Moore being mocked to the Lions a bunch.

Bjoern Werner, the DE out of FSU, is another one I've seen quite a bit. I really like Moore, but he might even be gone by the time we're picking.

Edited by tigerkid23

I'm seeing Damontre Moore being mocked to the Lions a bunch.

I saw almost every site giving the Lions Moore when the Lions were 11th/12th. Now up at 5th, I'm seeing a lot of Joeckel and Lewan. I'm a Michigan fan, but the last thing the Lions need is another undisciplined, penalty-prone headcase, this time on the offensive side of the ball (Lewan).

Then again, I'm also seeing Moore moving up in almost every mock draft, as well.

I love me some Te'o. He reminds me of Junior Seau, and I think he'll have a similar impact on/off the field.

I love me some Te'o. He reminds me of Junior Seau, and I think he'll have a similar impact on/off the field.

Yeah, Moore and Te'o are my two favorites out there right now. I'd be very happy with either as of now.

The safety position is loaded in this draft. The Lions need safeties more than they need CB's in my opinion. They just drafted 3 CB's last year. All three look good.

The safety position is loaded in this draft. The Lions need safeties more than they need CB's in my opinion. They just drafted 3 CB's last year. All three look good.

I'd say it's a little early to know anything on the 3 CBs. Jonte Green is the only one who has stayed healthy and he's been a mixed bag...much better lately from what I've seen. Bentley looked alright when he played, but not otherworldly and it's a tiny sample size. Greenwood hasn't seen a snap. I do agree that safety is the bigger need in the secondary though.

Will decent safeties be available in rounds 2-4?

edit: forgot a word, and should add that I meant to ask about names and such. Don't know much about the draft. And I'm too tired to convey myself properly as well..

Edited by drownwithyou