MC24

2013 NFL Draft Thread

SUH is having a great year - he gets double sometimes triple teamed on EVERY play. Watch a replay and focus on him.

Stats aren't there but hes opening it up for others.

He doesn't have any penaltys this year and he kicked a guy in the nuts big fricken deal! What a joke society has become. These guys try to kill each other on every play - who knows what happens at the bottom of a pile.

I bet 99.9% of coaches and GMS would take Suh in a second.

He should be a DPOY candidate IMHO.

I will be the first to admit I don't watch film of Suh so it is hard for me to judge him. I did hear Warren Sapp talking about Suh the other day and said when he watches Suh, he does not see him having an awareness on the field...whatever that means. I took it as Suh really just tries to overpower guys with his physical skills but does not really think about what the play might be or how he can best disrupt it.

I went back and looked at Warren Sapp's stats to see if he was able to maintain high sack numbers because obviously he always received a ton of attention from teams, much like Suh. If you look at his prime, he was good for anywhere form 6 to 16 sacks so his numbers did fluctuate quite a bit. His tackle numbers were very consistent as he was almost always in the 40's and 50's. Suh was a monster his first year in tackles but has really slipped since then. This is one area I think he should be better.

For me, there is no question Suh is somebody you want on your team independent of other factors. The one thing that does make me cringe a little is his salary. We are paying Fairly a fraction of what we are paying Suh because of the new NFL rookie salary cap rules. At some point, you have to ask yourself, if the Lions could free up some money by trading Suh and get good value in return, is it worth it? The Lions got screwed by the escalating rookie salaries and trading Suh would be one way to have take some of the pressure of our salary cap and give the team more flexibility to improve.

Stafford's contract has language if he hit all the bonus's the contract would have been worth $70 million. That is also ridiculous, although Stafford has given back some money so they can sign other players. Knowing what we know about former players quality of life post football, I'm not sure if I would give them any cash back.

As for Sapps numbers I think it's unfair to compare the two because Tampa Bay were one of the top Defenses in the league during that time and he was surrounded by a lot more talent than Suh at this point in Suh's career.

Edited by bigtenguy

Stafford has never given money back to sign other players. He has converted salary into signing bonus so that year's cap hit would be lower at the expense of future cup hits.

Stafford has never given money back to sign other players. He has converted salary into signing bonus so that year's cap hit would be lower at the expense of future cup hits.

You are correct as no player in their right mind would give money back once it is given to them.

Detroit Lions Draft.com'''''7-Round Mock

1. Dee Milliner , CB , Alabama

2. Dallas Thomas ,G, Tennessee

3. Margus Hunt , DE, SMU

5. Gerald Hodges ,OLB, Penn State

6. Christine Michael , RB , Texas A&M

7. Marc Anthony , CB, California

I believe they now are in line for the 4th pick.

Hopefully someone wants it badly so we can trade out for 2-3 picks. Too many holes. It stinks that the CJ, Stafford and Suh rookie deals will haunt this team for years.

Forget the trading down. Get Te'o if you can and if not then worry about trading down. There is no great corner coming out but if they miss on Te'o, trade down and get depth in the secondary and offensive line.

Forget the trading down. Get Te'o if you can and if not then worry about trading down. There is no great corner coming out but if they miss on Te'o, trade down and get depth in the secondary and offensive line.

Yep. Te'o is not only a game changer but also a culture changer. Not only are you getting a guy who can play at a really high level but you're also getting a leader who inspires his teammates. It's a no brainer to take this guy if he's available and quite frankly, i would be disappointed if the Lions draft anybody else. As you said, if Te'o is taken already, trade down and add more picks.

That along with firing Schwartz and Linehan would get the Lions going in the right direction.

Yep. Te'o is not only a game changer but also a culture changer. Not only are you getting a guy who can play at a really high level but you're also getting a leader who inspires his teammates. It's a no brainer to take this guy if he's available and quite frankly, i would be disappointed if the Lions draft anybody else. As you said, if Te'o is taken already, trade down and add more picks.

That along with firing Schwartz and Linehan would get the Lions going in the right direction.

I don't care at what spot he is picked, but a CB has to be drafted in the first round by the Lions. 10+ years of terrible corners and what has it gotten the Lions? One playoff appearance.

I want T'eo as much as I wanted Aaron Curry over Matt Stafford, which is quite a lot. What's to say T'eo isn't Aaron Curry 2.0?

I never bought into the Curry over Stafford hype. Also, Curry never really excelled against top competition, he had his flaws. Te'o is a special player, i don't see any significant flaws in his game. It's possible that he could flop but it's possible with just about any draftee outside of a surefire star like Luck. I don't see any better fits for the Lions in this draft.

I don't care at what spot he is picked, but a CB has to be drafted in the first round by the Lions. 10+ years of terrible corners and what has it gotten the Lions? One playoff appearance.

They could pick up a corner through free agency, it's not that hard for most GMs. I actually think that safety is a bigger weakness than corner.

There are no Patrick Peterson talents in this draft so it's a big risk to draft a corner just because he's a corner.

I want T'eo as much as I wanted Aaron Curry over Matt Stafford, which is quite a lot. What's to say T'eo isn't Aaron Curry 2.0?

Well, I guess I can find no basis to compare the NFL future of T'eo based on 1 LB from 4 years ago. Plus, there is no Stafford in this draft.

I think T'eo would be a perfect selection, he has shown incredible drive and leadership, two things that weren't associated with Curry when Seattle drafted him.

Not sure he'll be a top five pick like we're likely to have, but I could see a guy like Ezekiel Ansah out of BYU flying up the draft boards. He's 6'6", 270 and should run somewhere between 4.6 and 4.7 at the combine. BYU moved him around a lot, he played a little bit of linebacker and all over the defensive line. Could be a Jason Pierre-Paul type. Keep an eye out.

I love Manti T'eo, but I'm not sure he's a top 5 pick. Damontre Moore is really good, but I'm concerned with his size at DE (listed at 6'4", 250). Jarvis Jones is a beast, but his spinal stenosis scares the crap out of me. Not sure any of the corners will be the BPA where we're picking.