MC24

2013 NFL Draft Thread

I swear to god. I will set that entire stadium on fire if the Lions fail to draft a first round DB...AGAIN. It's been about eight years now that the Lions have needed DB help and have just entirely disregarded it for some reason. I don't care what you do to fix it, but something has to be done where the team drafts a first round CB or S. There are NO other options. Reach if you have to, I don't care.

My hunch is they ignore first round defensive back because Mayhew is a former CB and his grading scale is more difficult for DBs. I'm guessing he can't find that CB that he loves so much to justify taking in the first round. He looks at the mid-round guys as players with tools that need to be developed but believes they can be. I don't know that for certain, but it'd make sense that he'd want a "special" CB prospect if he's going to pull the trigger in the first round (such as the rumored trade offer for Patrick Peterson).

My hunch is they ignore first round defensive back because Mayhew is a former CB and his grading scale is more difficult for DBs. I'm guessing he can't find that CB that he loves so much to justify taking in the first round. He looks at the mid-round guys as players with tools that need to be developed but believes they can be. I don't know that for certain, but it'd make sense that he'd want a "special" CB prospect if he's going to pull the trigger in the first round (such as the rumored trade offer for Patrick Peterson).

This.

We need S much more than CB

I looked at the 2013 free agent list and one of the names on the list is safety Jairus Byrd from Buffalo. I would make him a high priority. If we could sign Delmas to a one year deal and then combine him with Byrd, we would have two playmaking free safeties who can both defend the pass fairly well.

I looked at the 2013 free agent list and one of the names on the list is safety Jairus Byrd from Buffalo. I would make him a high priority. If we could sign Delmas to a one year deal and then combine him with Byrd, we would have two playmaking free safeties who can both defend the pass fairly well.

I'm over Delmas. He's good when he plays, but he's beyond an injury-risk. I'd be perfectly fine with replacing him with a competent player who is at least on the field.

I'm over Delmas. He's good when he plays, but he's beyond an injury-risk. I'd be perfectly fine with replacing him with a competent player who is at least on the field.

That would be mean we would have to find two competent safeties. It is more realistic to find one and then take a chance with Delmas. If we can find two though, I would would be fine with letting Delmas go.

Edited by Hart

With the news coming out today...I would be very happy if the Lions decided to reach by about a round and take Tyrann Mathieu in the second. I know he's undersized and doesn't have a lot of man-to-man experience, but Kiper/McShay both think he'll be a third round guy "if he nails the NFL Draft process" with a good combine performance. I'd take a chance on him in the second or maybe hope for the third if CB's aren't going fast. He has stayed out of trouble since getting kicked off of LSU and if that continues through the NFL Draft, he seems like a good value.

Aren't you one of the people that complain about off the field guys?

Mathieu in Round 2 is borderline insane. Could probably get him in 5th or later.

Yah, what you said MC. Mathieu before the 4th or 5th is insane. He was a late 2nd/early 3rd guy before as it is. Also he has not stayed out of trouble since being kicked out of LSU, he just got busted for weed with Jordan Jefferson.

With the news coming out today...I would be very happy if the Lions decided to reach by about a round and take Tyrann Mathieu in the second. I know he's undersized and doesn't have a lot of man-to-man experience, but Kiper/McShay both think he'll be a third round guy "if he nails the NFL Draft process" with a good combine performance. I'd take a chance on him in the second or maybe hope for the third if CB's aren't going fast. He has stayed out of trouble since getting kicked off of LSU and if that continues through the NFL Draft, he seems like a good value.

I was going to joke that they should take Mathieu after your CB in the first round post because you complain about Suh all the time for getting speeding tickets, but apparently I didn't have to. Awesome.

I was going to joke that they should take Mathieu after your CB in the first round post because you complain about Suh all the time for getting speeding tickets, but apparently I didn't have to. Awesome.

Well, here is where I get pissed off because people here apparently like to take what others post and turn it in to what they want. I have not complained about the fact that Suh gets in to off-field trouble by itself. I have complained that I believe his off-field troubles and on-field troubles are connected and play a part in each other. If Suh were to get speeding tickets every day, but be a level-headed football player who isn't drawing negative attention to his team at every turn, I wouldn't care. Last time I checked, Mathieu isn't borderline ripping player's helmets off, overhand punching people, or in general committing illegal acts on the field of play on a seemingly regular basis in addition to getting in off-field trouble. So maybe some of you idiots around here should learn to comprehend what others post rather than reading what you want and stopping. It's like trying to communicate with a bunch of vapid neanderthals.

By the way, at least Mathieu is still going through out-patient rehab and making an attempt to straighten things out. Can't say the same for others.

and Suh has never needed rehab. But ok, he's regularly causing problems on the field with zero personal fouls this year. Sounds great. That's really negatively affecting us on the field.

Didn't his most recent drug bust happen after he had already been to rehab?

At least when/if he gets busted again for drugs he can't hurt his team on the field because he'll be suspended?

and Suh has never needed rehab. But ok, he's regularly causing problems on the field with zero personal fouls this year. Sounds great. That's really negatively affecting us on the field.

And here's a prime example of what I explained. You're right. I'm sure the reputation that Suh has helped create on the field for the Lions defense has nothing to do with Detroit being 29th or worse in the league in penalty yardage each of the last three years. Sorry, but if the people here for some reason can't understand that Suh's "dirty hits" (even if they aren't dirty, but are rather borderline) are resulting in more penalties being called on Avril/KVB/Williams/Hill/anyone on defense, particularly the front seven, then I can't help you.

Of course, this has little to do with the thread at hand. I simply posted that I would be willing for the Lions to reach a round or so early for a talented player who may fly under the radar come draft time at a position of severe need. A player who, despite off-field issues, has not shown himself to be a liability in the least bit on the field.

And here's a prime example of what I explained. You're right. I'm sure the reputation that Suh has helped create on the field for the Lions defense has nothing to do with Detroit being 29th or worse in the league in penalty yardage each of the last three years. Sorry, but if the people here for some reason can't understand that Suh's "dirty hits" (even if they aren't dirty, but are rather borderline) are resulting in more penalties being called on Avril/KVB/Williams/Hill/anyone on defense, particularly the front seven, then I can't help you.

The DL gets their penalties by lining up off-sides or jumping the gun. There has been no issues with personal conduct on the field. The problem is the players aren't focused on the simple parts of the game.

Suh has been nothing but helpful on the field, he is a really good DT who plays like it's the 70's. Big deal.

No higher than a 7th round pick. The guy loses his mind in college, just wait until he gets some pocket money. I will be interested to see his "real" height.

Edited by bigtenguy

Of course, this has little to do with the thread at hand. I simply posted that I would be willing for the Lions to reach a round or so early for a talented player who may fly under the radar come draft time at a position of severe need. A player who, despite off-field issues, has not shown himself to be a liability in the least bit on the field.

Jesus dude. Now he not only is a problem because of speeding tickets, but now he is at fault for his teammates penalties, even though he hasn't been getting any. Are you listening to yourself?

I won't even get into the fact that even if he did kick his leg out, its not a dirty play.

Jesus dude. Now he not only is a problem because of speeding tickets, but now he is at fault for his teammates penalties, even though he hasn't been getting any. Are you listening to yourself?

I won't even get into the fact that even if he did kick his leg out, its not a dirty play.

I also don't think it was a dirty play, nor do I think it was intentional. However, his "lack of penalties" this year still got him directly in the spotlight for the last seven days and if you think a majority of borderline calls are not going to go against the Lions in the near future, then you have some serious blinders on.

You think it's a coincidence that Brodrick Bunkley this weekend did something much worse than Suh and got virtually no attention for it? You honestly think that kind of spotlight on the Lions has no effect in how referees call their games against the Lions? Your head is buried so far in the sand if that is the case that it's unbelievable.

Edited by KleShreen

SUH is having a great year - he gets double sometimes triple teamed on EVERY play. Watch a replay and focus on him.

Stats aren't there but hes opening it up for others.

He doesn't have any penaltys this year and he kicked a guy in the nuts big fricken deal! What a joke society has become. These guys try to kill each other on every play - who knows what happens at the bottom of a pile.

I bet 99.9% of coaches and GMS would take Suh in a second.

100%. There isn't a GM or coach who wouldn't take him if he were available.

The guys who make me laugh are the ones who bring up sack numbers. Since when do we judge the top DT by sacks. That's not their job.

Edited by bigtenguy

100%. There isn't a GM or coach who wouldn't take him if he were available.

The guys who make me laugh are the ones who bring up sack numbers. Since when do we judge the top DT by sacks. That's not their job.

I will be the first to admit I don't watch film of Suh so it is hard for me to judge him. I did hear Warren Sapp talking about Suh the other day and said when he watches Suh, he does not see him having an awareness on the field...whatever that means. I took it as Suh really just tries to overpower guys with his physical skills but does not really think about what the play might be or how he can best disrupt it.

I went back and looked at Warren Sapp's stats to see if he was able to maintain high sack numbers because obviously he always received a ton of attention from teams, much like Suh. If you look at his prime, he was good for anywhere form 6 to 16 sacks so his numbers did fluctuate quite a bit. His tackle numbers were very consistent as he was almost always in the 40's and 50's. Suh was a monster his first year in tackles but has really slipped since then. This is one area I think he should be better.

For me, there is no question Suh is somebody you want on your team independent of other factors. The one thing that does make me cringe a little is his salary. We are paying Fairly a fraction of what we are paying Suh because of the new NFL rookie salary cap rules. At some point, you have to ask yourself, if the Lions could free up some money by trading Suh and get good value in return, is it worth it? The Lions got screwed by the escalating rookie salaries and trading Suh would be one way to have take some of the pressure of our salary cap and give the team more flexibility to improve.

I also don't think it was a dirty play, nor do I think it was intentional. However, his "lack of penalties" this year still got him directly in the spotlight for the last seven days and if you think a majority of borderline calls are not going to go against the Lions in the near future, then you have some serious blinders on.

You think it's a coincidence that Brodrick Bunkley this weekend did something much worse than Suh and got virtually no attention for it? You honestly think that kind of spotlight on the Lions has no effect in how referees call their games against the Lions? Your head is buried so far in the sand if that is the case that it's unbelievable.

I'm not talking about attention from the media. I'm well aware that Suh is a bigger name than Bunkley. I mean, I saw that play a ton, but no it didn't get the attention Suh did. I'm not even denying that he has had a few issues or that we get some attention, you are just taking it to such an extreme hyperbole that its beyond a reasonable conversation now. Let it go, admit you took it too far.