RedRamage

ShortStop - What are the options?

Rangers need to move him. And I think you're highly overrating Andrus.

From all the stories it seems like the Rangers still don't want to move him. And instead would have Profar and Andrus in the INF right now.

Rangers need to move him. And I think you're highly overrating Andrus.

For one, they do not need to move him. They'll move Kinsler to the OF if necessary. For 2, I don't think I"m underrating a 4+ win 24 year old SS who makes 10 mil combined the next 2 years at all. That's about the rarest commodity in the game. I think if anything you are probably overrating Scherzer. They are pretty similar value with similar contracts. I worry more about Scherzer sustaining his performance than Andrus though, who should improve if anything.

If they won't flip him for Upton, I can't imagine they will flip him for less than Scherzer. Would you if he was our SS???

Upton is coming off a horrible season, Scherzer is not. There is a lot of room between the two.

Would I trade a SS with a 90 OPS+ for a potential #1/2 starting pitcher? Uh yeah!!

Upton is coming off a horrible season, Scherzer is not. There is a lot of room between the two.

Would I trade a SS with a 90 OPS+ for a potential #1/2 starting pitcher? Uh yeah!!

There's some room between them, but not that much. Definitely not enough for me to be drastically overrating anyone that's for sure. I can find a high end SP easier than a SS like Andrus IMO. Plus I don't know if I'm getting a #1/2 caliber SP for sure in Scherzer. If we were talking Verlander, sure, I pass.

Peralta is steady, but I think his range is very bad and he was soft tossing so much last year, I thought he was injured. I don't think he was horrible, but I think he was a bit below average overall for the season. I would take Hardy or Yunel Escobar over Peralta. Both could be available but I don't know at what price. Ryan might be too weak of a hitter, although I don't think you can just add and subtract runs with defense the same way you can with offense. I believe an elite defender can affect a pitching staff in ways that go beyond plays made. What I mean by that is that pitchers and defense work together, so a strong defense can possibly change the way a pitcher pitches. At the very least, it will help lower his pitch count. It's just a theory I have. I probably value defense more than most do here.

I think Peralta's decent enough defensively, my real problem with him is that he's a slow guy who hits a lot of groundballs offensively. I don't think his normal offense would be hard to replace, but we need to upgrade to a clearly plus defender to make it worthwhile. The Hardy/Andrus/Escobar examples make sense.

It depends. If the Tigers are intent on keeping Sanchez and JV, then you've got three excellent SPs left on the team without Scherzer. It's difficult to evaluate Scherzer's plus potential without keeping in mind his delivery/health issues and the fact that he's turning 29.

If you look at ALL of the SS in baseball from 2010 - 2012 with a plus UZR, Tulo is the ONLY one with a wOBA over .330...and Andrus is in the .315-320 range, right there with the rest of them. Peralta is one of the few SS along with Hardy with the potential to hit a lot better, but frankly at this point I'd rather have the sure-shot D at SS over the chance to catch lightning offensively, and leave the offense up to an OF acquisition. Of course, Hardy would provide both the chance at good offense and the sure-shot D if we could get him instead.

Why not Castellanos at short ???

With all our outfield 'options' and Peralta's lack of range and average dipping why couldn't Castellanos slide over from 3rd to short???

Why not Castellanos at short ???

With all our outfield 'options' and Peralta's lack of range and average dipping why couldn't Castellanos slide over from 3rd to short???

Because he cannot competently play the position at a major league level.

"Sliding over" from 3B to SS isn't exactly something any 3B could do.

Well I did it in SlowPitch, so if Castellanos can't do it he must not be all he's cracked up to be.

:grin:

From the not really news department:

DKnobler ‏@DKnobler

Diamondbacks have shown interest in Jhonny Peralta. But Tigers won't trade him unless/until they get someone better at shortstop.

I think that's actually pretty interesting news.

So do I because it indicates a real willingness make a change at the position, which I didn't think was really in the cards and was more of a point that fans wanted to banter about. But perhapas there's more here. I do think the Tigers prefer Drew, if they can get him on a contract they like.

I think that's actually pretty interesting news.

OK. I thought we'd previously heard that the Diamondbacks might be a taker for Jhonny if we decided to trade him.

DKnobler ‏@DKnobler

Diamondbacks have shown interest in Jhonny Peralta. But Tigers won't trade him unless/until they get someone better at shortstop.

I don't read a whole lot into this, I mean the Tigers would probably trade Verlander or Cabrera if the Tigers thought they could "get someone better" to replace them too. Also keep in mind Arizona needs a SS, so if they had someone "better" than Peralta as a trade chip, why would they deal him to Detroit anyway for Peralta (who's got one year left on his contract with the Tigers anyway)?

OK. I thought we'd previously heard that the Diamondbacks might be a taker for Jhonny if we decided to trade him.

I'm not sure, but I think it was previously just fans guessing rather than a report that they actually were interested.

DKnobler ‏@DKnobler

I don't read a whole lot into this, I mean the Tigers would probably trade Verlander or Cabrera if the Tigers thought they could "get someone better" to replace them too. Also keep in mind Arizona needs a SS, so if they had someone "better" than Peralta as a trade chip, why would they deal him to Detroit anyway for Peralta (who's got one year left on his contract with the Tigers anyway)?

Because the shortstop could come from another team. It wouldn't be the first three-team trade involving AZ, DET.

Because the shortstop could come from another team. It wouldn't be the first three-team trade involving AZ, DET.

lol, I got it, but think about this for a second;

The Tigers will give up Peralta (with just one year left on his contract BTW) in exchange for Arizona going out and getting the Tigers a "better" shortstop, of which the whole idea of Arizona trading in the first place is to upgrade at the SS position?

I can undertand the whole Arizona gives an OF and the Tigers give a minor league pitcher to a 3rd team that gives the Tigers a SS and the Tigers give Peralta to Arizona, but why wouldn't Arizona want someone "better" than Peralta too and do it without the Tigers help?

Anything is possible, but to me it just doesn't seem likely that's all...

lol, I got it, but think about this for a second;

The Tigers will give up Peralta (with just one year left on his contract BTW) in exchange for Arizona going out and getting the Tigers a "better" shortstop, of which the whole idea of Arizona trading in the first place is to upgrade at the SS position?

I can undertand the whole Arizona gives an OF and the Tigers give a minor league pitcher to a 3rd team that gives the Tigers a SS and the Tigers give Peralta to Arizona, but why wouldn't Arizona want someone "better" than Peralta too and do it without the Tigers help?

Anything is possible, but to me it just doesn't seem likely that's all...

I don't think it's funny at all. The Tigers would be the team that finds the shortstop and then works out the trade. Or they could sign Drew (since DD has always liked him) at the same time they trade Peralta to AZ. Why would AZ want Peralta? That's their problem.

I don't think it's funny at all. The Tigers would be the team that finds the shortstop and then works out the trade. Or they could sign Drew (since DD has always liked him) at the same time they trade Peralta to AZ. Why would AZ want Peralta? That's their problem.

AZ could put Peralta at SS or 3b.

Peralta has 1 year $6.0m left on his contract;

JJ Putz has 1 year $6.5m left on his contract

With Bell and Hernanzez, Putz could be moved.

Yea, Napoleon Bonaparte said:

"Never interrupt an enemy while he's making a mistake"

And it‘s still very applicable today. If Arizona has it in their head that Peralta for one year is their guy and reason and cost be darn,…fantastic, we'll work something out. But I think it's more likely Arizona is saying to Detroit "IF you get another SS this off season, we'll work out something to take Peralta off your hands" than, “We in Arizona need a Peralta and we will help you get a better shortstop to replace him”.

LoL, I could be wrong, but I don’t think Arizona will help the Tigers get a better shortstop unless it’s going to be like a 5-9 player deal between 3 teams or something really crazy. Possible, yes, likely,…um…I don’t think so…but it's just my 2 cents....

Yunel is aways an option...

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan

How excited are the Marlins to have Yunel Escobar? They were calling around shopping him last week, before the mega-deal was even official.

Meanwhile, Henning continues to believe/insist that the Tigers will not start 2013 with Peralta as the SS. He thinks there's a better chance that Worth is the guy...

With infield defense top priority, Tigers likely to weigh offers for Jhonny Peralta | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Yunel is aways an option...

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan

How excited are the Marlins to have Yunel Escobar? They were calling around shopping him last week, before the mega-deal was even official.

Meanwhile, Henning continues to believe/insist that the Tigers will not start 2013 with Peralta as the SS. He thinks there's a better chance that Worth is the guy...

With infield defense top priority, Tigers likely to weigh offers for Jhonny Peralta | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Henning is an idiot. There is zero chance Worth starts the season at shortstop over Peralta

Yea, Napoleon Bonaparte said:

"Never interrupt an enemy while he's making a mistake"

And it‘s still very applicable today. If Arizona has it in their head that Peralta for one year is their guy and reason and cost be darn,…fantastic, we'll work something out. But I think it's more likely Arizona is saying to Detroit "IF you get another SS this off season, we'll work out something to take Peralta off your hands" than, “We in Arizona need a Peralta and we will help you get a better shortstop to replace him”.

LoL, I could be wrong, but I don’t think Arizona will help the Tigers get a better shortstop unless it’s going to be like a 5-9 player deal between 3 teams or something really crazy. Possible, yes, likely,…um…I don’t think so…but it's just my 2 cents....

Why does AZ have to help the Tigers get another SS in order for this to happen? That is DD's job. If AZ wants Peralta for one year (which I don't think is unreasonable at his salary), I would expect DD to try to find another team to make a three-team deal or find a SS independently of AZ. Do I expect it to happen? No. it's hard to make deals no matter who is involved. It seems plausible to me though.

Well I did it in SlowPitch, so if Castellanos can't do it he must not be all he's cracked up to be.

:grin:

Agreed. I played all 9 in a 35-and-over hardball league. Nothing to it.