RedRamage

ShortStop - What are the options?

Peralta strikes me as a shortstop with a skill set similar to that of Cabrera at 3B: below average range, but steady glove on the balls he can get. The difference is that Cabrera costs us runs and games with his defense at 3B over the long haul, and Peralta treads water at SS at worst, at least over the last season-plus.

That Peralta is dead average with the bat right now, complements of his BABIP, is understandably concerning to some, but we signed him to be a 1 to 2 win shortstop over the course of the season, and that's what we're getting. No need to rearrange all the deck chairs as long as the plan is working.

Peralta strikes me as a shortstop with a skill set similar to that of Cabrera at 3B: below average range, but steady glove on the balls he can get. The difference is that Cabrera costs us runs and games with his defense at 3B over the long haul, and Peralta treads water at SS at worst, at least over the last season-plus.

That Peralta is dead average with the bat right now, complements of his BABIP, is understandably concerning to some, but we signed him to be a 1 to 2 win shortstop over the course of the season, and that's what we're getting. No need to rearrange all the deck chairs as long as the plan is working.

Well stated. That is the reality of the matter.

Correct answer....I would have preferred to see someone with a really good glove like Andrus or Hardy, but if Peralta can eek out a .325 wOBA and decent defensive numbers he'll be good enough for us this year.

JP's fielding seems to me to be worse than the numbers would suggest but still, I think he's at least average overall.

Since the Tigers have had all right hand pitching since Jhonny joined the team, any of the fielding metrics that use total number of chances in a range factor calculation contribution unfairly knock Jhonny, as the Tigers face more left hand batters than most teams - and thus other shortstops (actually more LH batters than RH batters both of the last two seasons).

I don't know why Peralta is playing with Don Kelly on the team. He has a much higher TWTW.

Since the Tigers have had all right hand pitching since Jhonny joined the team, any of the fielding metrics that use total number of chances in a range factor calculation contribution unfairly knock Jhonny, as the Tigers face more left hand batters than most teams - and thus other shortstops (actually more LH batters than RH batters both of the last two seasons).

That was one of the criticisms of Bill James' old Range Factor statistic, but that was another century! All the current advanced defensive metrics adjust for handedness of pitching staff.

I don't know why Peralta is playing with Don Kelly on the team. He has a much higher TWTW.

LOL. Kelly may actually be pretty skilled with a glove no matter where you put him, but he still moves like a big wading bird. How he got this far without ever having been knick-named "Stork" is a mystery to me... :silly:

Edited by Gehringer_2

I don't like shortstops with limited range, but I agree that Peralta is adequate for the current team.

That was one of the criticisms of Bill James' old Range Factor statistic, but that was another century! All the current advanced defensive metrics adjust for handedness of pitching staff.

But BR still dedicates a half a dozen columns to them on a player's page, possibly why there are still media guys quoting them - sadly

Edited by Gehringer_2

LOL. Kelly may actually be a pretty skilled with a glove no matter where you put him, but he still moves like a big wading bird. How he got this far without ever having been knick-named "Stork" is a mystery to me... :silly:

He may move like a stork, but he isn't afraid to get his jersey dirty. He is gritty, and I have never seen Leyland tear up while talking about Jhonny.

He may move like a stork, but he isn't afraid to get his jersey dirty. He is gritty, and I have never seen Leyland tear up while talking about Jhonny.

Yeah, I bet Leyland tears up about his dog too, doesn't mean I want him playing shortstop either....

/...picturing Sheb Wooley in Silverado./

Edited by Gehringer_2

But BR still dedicates a half a dozen columns to them on a player's page, possibly why there are still media guys quoting them - sadly

They have columns for RBI and pitcher wins too. :happy:

They have columns for RBI and pitcher wins too. :happy:

"Similar batters..."

The Tigers have three quality major league OF'ers, plus Castellanos, Garcia, Collins not far behind, with Danry Vasquez a couple years away after that. We have Suarez and Perez who might both be very good. I'm really intrigued by Suarez.

Since we're set and deep at catcher, and the corner IF positions, and overflowing with great starting pitching, with a ton of great arms in the bullpen - we're sitting pretty, IMO, and don't have to make any moves.

We can deal, if we want to, from a position of strength. The Tigers are in great position for the next few years. I think we should bide our time until a top young SS becomes available to us, and that the team should resign Infante on a three year deal, since that guy is one of the better all-around 2B'men in the game.

I think this is Porcello's last season as a Tiger. He may make it until the offseason, but he will eventually be traded, baring something tragic to one of the other starters. Him for a SS prospects seems pretty obvious, but we'll see.

I think they would move him right now for the right haul, but I think it's pretty clear that the offers they have been getting for him are underwhelming, and his numbers this year aren't helping his case.

I wonder what Drew Smyly would bring in trade? Would it be any more than what Porcello could bring in? I'd think it would be, but who knows.

I think they would move him right now for the right haul, but I think it's pretty clear that the offers they have been getting for him are underwhelming, and his numbers this year aren't helping his case.

I wonder what Drew Smyly would bring in trade? Would it be any more than what Porcello could bring in? I'd think it would be, but who knows.

I'm sure it would be, but I would much rather have him than Rick.

I asked that in a game thread, what would Smyly fetch in a trade? I think he could bring in a lot more than Porcello. He's cheap, LH, proven to be dominant out of the pen, and shown he can succeed as a starter, even showing flashes of brilliance. Porcello is no more than a league average innings eater, who really can't eat very many innings, gives up loads of hits, and doesn't strike anyone out. Plus he's going to start making more money soom. I think any GM would give alot more for Smyly than for Porcello.

Do you think a GM would trade Porcello for Smyly straight up?

My guess is most would do it in a heartbeat, so that would make me think Smyly would fetch more in trade.

I don't think the value of what we'd get back for Smyly is worth any trade. The upgrade over what we curently have isn't there to justify it. Assuming Rick stays in the rotation and is just good enough to stay there, Drew still plays a very important role. An if Rick doesn't stay good enough, then we have Drew to fill in.

I think both Porcello and smyly would be terrible shortstops.

Meh, neither one has negative numbers so far.