RedRamage

ShortStop - What are the options?

In my opinion, ShortStop is the area of most need. I would like to see a good upgrade defensively for Peralta. I think Peralta has been adequate offensively, but defensively his range is obviously diminishing and he isn't very fleet of foot on the base paths. The range really becomes a factor when you consider that Cabrera has bad range too.

I know that we have Peralta under contract for this year, so it isn't like we don't have someone already penciled in at SS, but honestly I'd be happier going with Garcia and Dirks in the OF and finding a good upgrade at SS than trying to upgrade to a (potentially) great OF and still keep Peralta at SS.

Of course, it's easy to say that we'd like to upgrade the position, it's a lot harder to actually do it. I don't believe there are really any good free agents and other than the guy from Texas that'll take an lot of talent to pry loose, I don't think there are too many available for trade either.

Any thoughts?

I think DD will explore other shortstops, but I expect Peralta will be the 2013 shortstop. Possibilities include JJ Hardy and Yunel Escobar. Andrus also might be available, but he'll be really expensive.

I think DD will explore other shortstops, but I expect Peralta will be the 2013 shortstop. Possibilities include JJ Hardy and Yunel Escobar. Andrus also might be available, but he'll be really expensive.

Could be they get a more athletic shortstop and peralta becomes the utility guy which I would be very cool with.

I think we need to get a plus defender for the bench. Worth fits the bill, but I"d like a better bat than that. I think you can go after someone who is borderline starter quality and use him to give Peralta rest and at 2B at times, using INfante in the OF some.

Could be they get a more athletic shortstop and peralta becomes the utility guy which I would be very cool with.

That might be a good role for him, but he's too expensive to be a utility guy.

Gustavo Nunez. He'll have to be offered back from Arizona if they can't keep him on the roster. After missing pretty much a full season, what are the odds that he'll stick.

I think we need to get a plus defender for the bench.

Why? Do you think that Leyland is going to put in a defensive replacement late in games for Peralta? Or Infante? Or Cabrera? He didn't do that often in 2012. Why do you expect him to do that in 2013?

Why? Do you think that Leyland is going to put in a defensive replacement late in games for Peralta? Or Infante? Or Cabrera? He didn't do that often in 2012. Why do you expect him to do that in 2013?

Well for one we didn't really have that player in 2012. I do acknowledge that Leyland would have to be willing to use the player though and he'd have to be in on the idea of Infante playing the OF at times, probably against most lefties. I'd have loved Izturis for the role and Didi Gregorio would be a nice fit as well.

Santiago is under contract and will almost surely be the utility infielder. The Tigers want him to play winter ball this year after taking it off last year. That could help him bounce back to his former self.

Well for one we didn't really have that player in 2012. I do acknowledge that Leyland would have to be willing to use the player though and he'd have to be in on the idea of Infante playing the OF at times, probably against most lefties. I'd have loved Izturis for the role and Didi Gregorio would be a nice fit as well.

We did have Worth all last year, and if they wanted him on the major league roster, they could have made that happen. I don't think he's a plus defender, but he is pretty decent, and certainly better than Peralta.

The fact remains, that Leyland isn't going to pull his starting infield for a defensive replacement, not when they are all every day major league veterans. We see him do that in the OF, but those are platoon guys and fringy players to begin with.

So really what you are talking about here, is the 40 starts that a reserve IF might get between SS/2B/3B. That being the case, why do we need a plus defender to fill that role? Why not just the best all-around utility infielder that we can get our hands on?

Besides, almost certainly this is going to be Santiago's role.

two thoughts on this;

#1, the free agent market sucks, Stephen Drew is your top SS free agent and here is what his awesomeness did for 2012;

[table]

[thead][tr][th]Year[/th][th]Tm[/th][th]Lg[/th][th]G[/th][th]PA[/th][th]AB[/th][th]R[/th][th]H[/th][th]HR[/th][th]RBI[/th][th]BB[/th][th]SO[/th][th]BA[/th][th]OBP[/th][th]SLG[/th][th]OPS[/th][/tr][/thead]

[tr][td]2012[/td][td]TOT[/td][td]MLB[/td][td]79[/td][td]327[/td][td]287[/td][td]38[/td][td]64[/td][td]7[/td][td]28[/td][td]37[/td][td]76[/td][td].223[/td][td].309[/td][td].348[/td][td].657[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]2012[/td][td]ARI[/td][td]NL[/td][td]40[/td][td]155[/td][td]135[/td][td]17[/td][td]26[/td][td]2[/td][td]12[/td][td]19[/td][td]35[/td][td].193[/td][td].290[/td][td].311[/td][td].601[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]2012[/td][td]OAK[/td][td]AL[/td][td]39[/td][td]172[/td][td]152[/td][td]21[/td][td]38[/td][td]5[/td][td]16[/td][td]18[/td][td]41[/td][td].250[/td][td].326[/td][td].382[/td][td].707[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]162 Game Avg.[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]162[/td][td]682[/td][td]612[/td][td]83[/td][td]162[/td][td]15[/td][td]70[/td][td]58[/td][td]121[/td][td].265[/td][td].328[/td][td].433[/td][td].762[/td][/tr]

[/table]

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table

Generated 11/9/2012.

Sources are thinking Drew will get $10-$12M per year for around 2 years was that last I heard.

Your #2 top SS free agent is Kelly Johnson, again, his numbers should make you go "Meh.."

[table]

[thead][tr][th]Year[/th][th]Age[/th][th]Tm[/th][th]Lg[/th][th]G[/th][th]PA[/th][th]AB[/th][th]R[/th][th]H[/th][th]HR[/th][th]RBI[/th][th]SB[/th][th]CS[/th][th]BB[/th][th]SO[/th][th]BA[/th][th]OBP[/th][th]SLG[/th][th]OPS[/th][/tr][/thead]

[tr][td]2012[/td][td]30[/td][td]TOR[/td][td]AL[/td][td]142[/td][td]581[/td][td]507[/td][td]61[/td][td]114[/td][td]16[/td][td]55[/td][td]14[/td][td]2[/td][td]62[/td][td]159[/td][td].225[/td][td].313[/td][td].365[/td][td].678[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]162 Game Avg.[/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td]162[/td][td]654[/td][td]573[/td][td]87[/td][td]146[/td][td]19[/td][td]68[/td][td]13[/td][td]5[/td][td]70[/td][td]144[/td][td].255[/td][td].338[/td][td].429[/td][td].767[/td][/tr]

[/table]

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original Table

Generated 11/9/2012.

And Johnson is looking for full time work let alone $6-$8M per year also. Which brings me to my next point.

#2) Manny of the "don't totally suck" free agent SS's that are available do not want a bench or "depth" job. They will sign with a team that will give them a starting job, or next best is to sign with a team that will promise them a chance to win the SS position but with some significant playing time, or lastly, any job with a team on the MLB roster.

The Tigers have already committed to Peralta for 2013 and there isn't a good SS free agent that will want to come to Detroit and keep a bench warm for Peralta between innings when they can be starting (or getting much more playing time) with another team instead.

I think the Tigers best bet is to try and do a minor league deal for a "golve guy" (great defense, can't hit...) at SS or try and steal a minor league glove guy as a throw in on the next big trade deal with another team. But frankly the top guys are not that great and signing one of the guys below Drew and Johnson shouldn't make you say "contender" when you read it in the papers.

I the options regarding shortstop for a Tigers fan are:

1. Accept Peralta as the starting SS.

2. ***** about Peralta being the starting SS.

I hope I am ultimately wrong about this, but this is what I see happening.

two thoughts on this;

#1, the free agent market sucks, Stephen Drew is your top SS free agent and here is what his awesomeness did for 2012;

Sources are thinking Drew will get $10-$12M per year for around 2 years was that last I heard.

Your #2 top SS free agent is Kelly Johnson, again, his numbers should make you go "Meh.."

And Johnson is looking for full time work let alone $6-$8M per year also. Which brings me to my next point....

I'm pretty sure that Kelly Johnson has never played SS

Gustavo Nunez. He'll have to be offered back from Arizona if they can't keep him on the roster. After missing pretty much a full season, what are the odds that he'll stick.

Thought he was drafted by Pittsburgh ??

I'm pretty sure that Kelly Johnson has never played SS

DOGH!

Yea, my appolgies, I heard top free agent infielders (in my head at least...:ermm: ), but your right, totally my bad and Johnson is NOT a SS and thanks for pointing it out!!!

DiDi Gregorius and Zack Cosart also options. Said this in an earlier thread I believe.

so why are we so worried about Peralta's defense when the stats show he's better than we all think? Only JJ Hardy and Brendan Ryan had a better UZR (fangraphs) and led the AL (2nd to Ian Desmond .855) in RZR Revised Zone Rating at .853.

Revised Zone Rating (RZR) measures, “the proportion of balls hit into a fielder’s zone that he successfully converted into an out”

Rating RZR

Excellent 0.940

Great 0.900

Above Average 0.860

Average 0.835

Below Average 0.800

Poor 0.750

Awful 0.700

So he's just below "Above Average" I admit we read and here enough about how bad his range is, but the numbers don't seem to correlate with that the last couple seasons. That's what we want right, make outs on the plays that enter your zone?

so why are we so worried about Peralta's defense when the stats show he's better than we all think? Only JJ Hardy and Brendan Ryan had a better UZR (fangraphs) and led the AL (2nd to Ian Desmond .855) in RZR Revised Zone Rating at .853.

Revised Zone Rating (RZR) measures, “the proportion of balls hit into a fielder’s zone that he successfully converted into an out”

Rating RZR

Excellent 0.940

Great 0.900

Above Average 0.860

Average 0.835

Below Average 0.800

Poor 0.750

Awful 0.700

So he's just below "Above Average" I admit we read and here enough about how bad his range is, but the numbers don't seem to correlate with that the last couple seasons. That's what we want right, make outs on the plays that enter your zone?

and BP has him at -6 DRAA. So who ya gonna believe?

Personally, I don't think Peralta's defense was much of a negative factor other than a bit early in the season, but I can't prove it one way or the other anymore than any of these systems can.

Zack Cozart will be a star..... It must be true. Red's longtime broadcaster Marty Brenneman said so. And he has seen a couple of good ones over the years....Dave Concepcion and Barry Larkin.

What would it take to get Cozart? The Reds are looking for a leadoff man that plays the outfield.....How about sending them Quinten Berry and perhaps Porcello?