hail2mich

GDT: Northwestern at Michigan 11/10/2012

At this point I don't think there's a question anymore about the QB situation for next year. Gardner will be fine, but he will need some help from the other positions. Denard was able to hide some of the weaknesses of the offense with his athletic abilities. Gardner will need an improved running game to be successful.

The one aspect that was positive was the M line play on both sides seemed to be gaining strength in the 4th, with the run blocking and defensive front play looking better late in the game.

If you were going to judge by two series (which of course you can't) it's hard to see how anybody beat Siemian out of the job. That was some mighty fine backup QBing.

Lucky win, but after everything seemed to go wrong for the program for about a decade before Hoke was hired I could live with him being lucky for awhile.

Interior O-Line still needs a lot of work, otherwise it wasn't too bad of a game. They seem to really struggle against the option and running QBs which is scary vs Ohio State, but I'm still pretty happy with the pass defense. Even having a bad game today given that they're still pretty low on bodies in the secondary and Countess being out for the year they've been pretty fantastic overall.

- UM really doesn't deserve to win this game. Their D was absolutely shredded by both the run and the pass. Not sure where the seventh rated defense was today.

- Nice to see Fitz start to get it going. Huge run on the fumble and that middle screen run after the catch was a thing of beauty.

- DG should absolutely be the starter next year and hopefully the year after that. It's such a difference watching him in the pocket vs. Denard. Seems a lot more comfortable back there.

- That Roundtree catch will go down as one of the all time greats. Be prepared to see it for the next decade or so, at least every time they play Northwestern.

- What in the hell was Fitzgerald doing jumping around after that late hit call?

- UM really doesn't deserve to win this game. Their D was absolutely shredded by both the run and the pass. Not sure where the seventh rated defense was today.

- Nice to see Fitz start to get it going. Huge run on the fumble and that middle screen run after the catch was a thing of beauty.

- DG should absolutely be the starter next year and hopefully the year after that. It's such a difference watching him in the pocket vs. Denard. Seems a lot more comfortable back there.

- That Roundtree catch will go down as one of the all time greats. Be prepared to see it for the next decade or so, at least every time they play Northwestern.

- What in the hell was Fitzgerald doing jumping around after that late hit call?

Northwestern was ranked 24 and we played them basically even. That is probably about right.

Gardner was about half a count late on most all his throws today - the ball got there too often as his receiver was already moving from open to covered. If experience gets him over that, it will put them a cut above a NU level team. But if he just turns out to be chronically too slow with his decision making for this level, M will have a problem.

Two weeks at QB after playing receiver all year makes it too early to judge his passing. I think he is doing well considering the circumstances. Right now he is better than Denard throwing. DR has become a one dimensional big play running threat and it appears half way decent defenses have learned how to defend him.

Northwestern was ranked 24 and we played them basically even. That is probably about right.

Gardner was about half a count late on most all his throws today - the ball got there too often as his receiver was already moving from open to covered. If experience gets him over that, it will put them a cut above a NU level team. But if he just turns out to be chronically too slow with his decision making for this level, M will have a problem.

Compared to what we have seen from the passing game the past 3+ years, I'd say Gardner is doing great. A half second late or not, he is still hitting OPEN receivers, something Denard has struggled with. But "chronically" too slow? That is ridiculous to say at this point. Just looking for something to ***** about IMO.

Well, Penn State couldn't get it done against Nebraska, so they most likely will be the win the Legends Division unless either Minnesota or Iowa beats them and Michigan wins out. No surprise and they will have deserved it if they win out. It's just disappointing because this was a year that the conference was very very winnable, and I think Michigan would beat Nebraska today with either Gardner or Denard. Oh well, that's football.

Even with his flaws, there is no question Devin is a superior passer to Denard. I'd be happy if Devin played at QB the rest of the year.

Gardner completed a little over 50% of his passes against a bad defense missing a starting cornerback. If not for a couple of great (or lucky) plays on long bombs we'd be talking about how bad he was and how his Denardesque horrible INT cost the team the game.

He's better than I expected and certainly light years ahead of Bellomy, but it seems insane for anyone to be writing his name down as the starter for the next two years and being happy about it at this point to me.

Also, if today's near safety isn't the last straw on that awful roll out into an unblocked guy play that seemingly caused twenty Denard INTs this year alone...

Gardner completed a little over 50% of his passes against a bad defense missing a starting cornerback. If not for a couple of great (or lucky) plays on long bombs we'd be talking about how bad he was and how his Denardesque horrible INT cost the team the game.

Yeah but...... not to beat a dead horse but he was a fricken receiver up to a couple weeks ago. You know it's not like moving from guard to tackle right?

.... But "chronically" too slow? That is ridiculous to say at this point. Just looking for something to ***** about IMO.

And it wasn't said. I said "IF" he cannot learn to get through his progression faster in the future, not that he has shown he can't. We came within a one in 20 lucky catch of losing today whereas we are probably up by 10 at the end of regulation if Gardner gets those late throws off a bit earlier. Whether that is potentially a trivial issue is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

He's better than I expected and certainly light years ahead of Bellomy, but it seems insane for anyone to be writing his name down as the starter for the next two years and being happy about it at this point to me.

Also, if today's near safety isn't the last straw on that awful roll out into an unblocked guy play that seemingly caused twenty Denard INTs this year alone...

No one is calling him an all american or anything, but given the facts that he has two career starts, and spent all of this season (besides the last two weeks of course) as a WR, I think he has played well.

The INT was a bad read, but I understand that he was trying to fit the ball in after the corner and before the safety, he just made a bad throw. Denard has thrown into quadruple coverage off his back foot how many times? There is no explaining his thought process, because he has none. Denard is a great athlete obviously, but it looks like the offense is better with Devin at QB.

As for next season, Gardner has alot of work to do obviously, but looking at his competition for next fall (Bellomy, and Morris) I think the job is his. Morris would benefit from a redshirt year and maybe another year as a backup before he takes over. I don't get why people would be upset about that. Maybe Morris will come in during fall camp and win the job and if that happens, great, but I just don't see it happening.

And it wasn't said. I said "IF" he cannot learn to get through his progression faster in the future, not that he has shown he can't. We came within a one in 20 lucky catch of losing today whereas we are probably up by 10 at the end of regulation if Gardner gets those late throws off a bit earlier. Whether that is potentially a trivial issue is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Too many variables in a game to possibly blame Gardner for them not having a lead at the end of the game. Did Gardner fumble the ball for Fitz inside the 5 yard line? Did Gardner get torched all day on defense? I saw a few bad throws by him no doubt, but seeing as how the guy has played QB for 2 weeks this season, I think his overall performance, decision making, 3rd down conversions, etc, was impressive.

And to take the one bad throw at the end of the game and totally disregard all the things he did well, and then point at the bad throw as a possible chronic problem is just crazy to me. But like you said it is in the eye of the beholder.

Too many variables in a game to possibly blame Gardner for them not having a lead at the end of the game. Did Gardner fumble the ball for Fitz inside the 5 yard line? Did Gardner get torched all day on defense? I saw a few bad throws by him no doubt, but seeing as how the guy has played QB for 2 weeks this season, I think his overall performance, decision making, 3rd down conversions, etc, was impressive.

And to take the one bad throw at the end of the game and totally disregard all the things he did well, and then point at the bad throw as a possible chronic problem is just crazy to me. But like you said it is in the eye of the beholder.

Man you run with your own assumptions like we all wish Toussant did on the field. I never said he played badly for a guy two games in. I was responding to whether he was a long term solution to QB and pointed out he has not yet shown what a top NCAA QB needs to show. Read the posts before you go off the deep end.

Man you run with your own assumptions like we all wish Toussant did on the field. I never said he played badly for a guy two games in. I was responding to whether he was a long term solution to QB and pointed out he has not yet shown what a top NCAA QB needs to show. Read the posts before you go off the deep end.

You said they would have been up by 10 if Gardner had made his throws.. I pointed out too many other things go on in a football game to say one player can be at fault. Just because I disagree with you does not mean I went "off the deep end".

I also didn't know Gardner was supposed to be a top NCAA qb. When was the last time UM had one of those? Pretty high expectations you have.

You said they would have been up by 10 if Gardner had made his throws.. I pointed out too many other things go on in a football game to say one player can be at fault. Just because I disagree with you does not mean I went "off the deep end".

I also didn't know Gardner was supposed to be a top NCAA qb. When was the last time UM had one of those? Pretty high expectations you have.

If you want him to start for us and you want us to be a top team, then you want him to be a top QB no? And note you are doing it again. You respond like I said Heisman trophy winner. I said "a top" as in upper tier. The fact is that when this program was strong we had a whole string of QBs play in the NFL. Those were top quality NCAA QBs and yes that is the expectation.

and you are not off the deep end for disagreeing, you are off the deep end for calling a differing opinion crazy and over reading everything.

Edited by Gehringer_2

If you want him to start for us and you want us to be a top team, then you want him to be a top QB no? And note you are doing it again. You respond like I said Heisman trophy winner. I said "a top" as in upper tier. The fact is that when this program was strong we had a whole string of QBs play in the NFL. Those were top quality NCAA QBs and yes that is the expectation.

and you are not off the deep end for disagreeing, you are off the deep end for calling a differing opinion crazy and over reading everything.

I think you are the one going off the deep end. I would read back if I were you. You said he was the reason they werent ahead, I made several points (which you ignored) and here we are.

We'll see who wins the job next fall. I agree with you that Gardner needs to improve, I just think you're being overly critical of a guy who has only played two weeks this season at the position. Sorry I said that was crazy.

Maybe I am just used to watching a bad passing game from DROB so I am overly excited right now when I see Gardner making most of the routine plays and some excellent plays. I would just rather be excited about his play given all the circumstances than complain about him or think he will be bad next fall. I think he will do the job just fine, especially if the OL and running game improves around him.