DaBishop

2013 Draft thread

y'know...the whole "hard to get up for games" talk from Mitchell is either extraordinarily honest and impressive that he's willing to own up for it, or a HUGE cop-out for why he sucked as a Sophomore. Either way, it doesn't bode well for a pro career. That said, we can keep hoping.

The comparison is that college awards don't always translate to future success. Jimmer Freddette, Evan Turner, JJ Reddick, Calbert Cheaney, Joe Smith, Tyler Hansborough, Shane Battier...they all won the award too. In fact, 95% of the ones that became stars were the ones that everyone knew would be stars and were drafted in the top 5. Just food for thought when looking into the crystal ball for Trey Burke's future.

Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, David Robinson, Shaq, Tim Duncan, Kevin Durant...just a little food for thought when looking into the crystal ball for Trey Burke's future.

Your comparison was bad, no need to double down on the poor logic. You said Tim Tebow, offered no analysis of your own.

Edited by T&P_Fan

Lets go back in time and change history a bit. Lets say Detroit loses that coin flip with Washington and they are the ones that jumped up to #3 in the draft. First two picks are still Bennett and Oladipo. Who would you have taken at #3?

Noel

Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, David Robinson, Shaq, Tim Duncan, Kevin Durant...just a little food for thought when looking into the crystal ball for Trey Burke's future.

Your comparison was bad, no need to double down on the poor logic. You said Tim Tebow, offered no analysis of your own.

And as I said...those guys you mentioned were all top 2 picks in the draft. My comparison is just fine, it's your reading comprehension skills that need work. There was no question about those guys, and no one thought it was a question. Burke was barely a top 10 pick in one of the worst draft's in years. 8 teams passed on the Naismith National Player of the Year. How much more high profile could he have been and still no one really thought that highly of him. He may become a good player, he may not...but telling me he won an the award as best player doesn't tell me nearly as much as the fact that despite this award he still dropped to the 9th pick. What it tells me is he's a lot more likely to being closer to becoming Jimmer Freddette then Michael Jordan.

And as I said...those guys you mentioned were all top 2 picks in the draft. My comparison is just fine, it's your reading comprehension skills that need work. There was no question about those guys, and no one thought it was a question. Burke was barely a top 10 pick in one of the worst draft's in years. 8 teams passed on the Naismith National Player of the Year. How much more high profile could he have been and still no one really thought that highly of him. He may become a good player, he may not...but telling me he won an the award as best player doesn't tell me nearly as much as the fact that despite this award he still dropped to the 9th pick. What it tells me is he's a lot more likely to being closer to becoming Jimmer Freddette then Michael Jordan.

Mike was a top 2 pick?

I only offered up player of the year award because it shows that he didn't just dribble and shoot, it was unrelated to the NBA and his draft position. My analysis on this board of Burke is not missing. You butted into an argument and said "Tim Tebow." No analysis. You made up your own argument. We all know why Burke fell...he is short...not that I would know from you because you haven't offered anything.

Look...we get it...you really like Burke. You're really upset we passed him over. At least he has that Naismith award though...so he's got that going for him...which is nice.

I had to flip off the radio real quck when he started ranting. Good god is he an idiot.

On another note, ESPN did their projected WARP article a few days ago. KCP was 3, Mitchell was 14. Just throwing the info out there, no particular point to be made.

He would have complained regardless of who they picked. He went on and on about how Burke was too small and inconsistent on D a week before the draft. As soon as we didn't draft him- Burke has the potential to be a superstar.

Valenti is a blowhard. He whines about how we need defensive players who can shoot the ball, then says we should have taken Burke to "inject life into this team".

I like Burke but he seemed to struggle against top competition this year, in games against ranked opponents he only shot 38% and atleast to me seemed like he struggled to really penetrate and get easy looks. It seemed like in those games against tough defenses were when he really over dribbled and settled for off balanced jump shots, which is what worries me on how he will adapt in the NBA. With the exception of the championship game he didn't shoot over 50% in any game against ranked opponents and in many of those was in the low 30s.

I like Burke but he seemed to struggle against top competition this year, in games against ranked opponents he only shot 38% and atleast to me seemed like he struggled to really penetrate and get easy looks. It seemed like in those games against tough defenses were when he really over dribbled and settled for off balanced jump shots, which is what worries me on how he will adapt in the NBA. With the exception of the championship game he didn't shoot over 50% in any game against ranked opponents and in many of those was in the low 30s.

Does the player hit 3's? Does he shoot FTs? Does have a decent asst/low TO rate? If he does, that 5-14 is probably good enough against tough D's. Pick n Roll is easier in the pro's, more space, less contact, better refs. Burke will be fine. He will thrive in Utah, I trust Utah.

So you're saying Trey Burke is more likely to be a bust than the greatest player in the history of the game...quit blowing our mind Da Bishop :rambo:

I don't think McGary will end up going that high, too old for the NBA. I see Harris higher and Dawson lower. Payne probably has the same issue as McGary - age. I think both of them end up in the 20s.

No one really cares about age that much, it's about talent and projectibility. The only reason people look down on older players is because they generally have played more years in college to have their games examined and potential exposed, McGary will be a sophomore that is more important then whether he is 20 or 21.

I just want to say, it is really hilarious to me that people could say the problem they have with Trey Burke is him dribbling around and taking contested jumpers, but then turn around and like KCP.

Taking contested jumpers is like....his thing.

And Peyton Siva as a more NBA ready/better player than Burke...I can't roll my eyes hard enough. Siva is trash, and will be lucky to survive on the summer league roster. He's fast. Cool. He's also a comically bad shooter that turns it over at a high rate. I'm sure his steals in college were all skill and nothing to do with playing for Louisville though.

edit - misread

On Burke, you are missing the point. KCP taking contested jumpers is fine. Its his job, its what we want from him. Burke has to be able to beat people off of the dribble and get to the rack in order to make plays for others. The only thing that makes him valuable is his ability to be a pure point and its quite legitimate to question whether he can beat more athletic defenders off the bounce.

Looking at KCP, he also seemed to struggle against ranked opponents. I know the knock on him was that he too on too much of the load and some ill-advised shots. Hopefully that's just because he was so alone on that team and when he joins an NBA roster he won't be one of those "never met a shot he didn't like" guys.

Pretty much this.

I like Burke and I love his leadership but his tools--as a pg package in the NBA--are average. He's a lot like Jameer Nelson in that regard, another stocky and physically underwhelming pg who swept the major individual awards before being drafted in the first round.

If Burke has a career like Nelson's, he'll have done well. He could just as easily be like Randolph Childress, though, who was every bit as good as Burke in college before he disappointed as a Piston.

But let's stop with the upper-tier comparisons. Do you think Chris Paul gets locked down by Aaron Craft? Probably not.

Dumars drafted for need well, and remember, there is still a whole summer of FA and trade moves. A rookie pg or a rookie SG, which is better to have? Pretty easy decision unless it is a generational talent we're talking about--and Burke is not that.

It is possible that Cheeks could see a little bit of himself in Siva, a defensive-minded jet-fast pg with limited 3pt ability. Nobody should expect the next Cheeks out of this guy, but he'll definitely bring on-ball defense like Detroit hasn't seen since Hunter.

Lets go back in time and change history a bit. Lets say Detroit loses that coin flip with Washington and they are the ones that jumped up to #3 in the draft. First two picks are still Bennett and Oladipo. Who would you have taken at #3?

Drafted Noel and moved Monroe in a package for a PG and a SF if I could, but would settle for one or the other and a 2014 1st.

Drafted Noel and moved Monroe in a package for a PG and a SF if I could, but would settle for one or the other and a 2014 1st.

Play Noel and Drummond together? Little offense, but man I would like that defense.

Play Noel and Drummond together? Little offense, but man I would like that defense.

Indeed, the thought doesn't hurt my feelings.

I guess I am guardedly optimistic about the draft selections. The 2nd rounders seem fine, can't expect too much from that round, but it looks like there is some potential contribution there.

Pope has been mentioned as a pretty good shooter and defender. I look at his stats and he's only shot 39.6%/43.3% FG%, 30.4%/37.3% 3FG%. That doesn't really seem so great. Perhaps being the top talent on a mediocre team had something to do with that, I don't know. And I am not well versed on the more in depth basketball stats, so maybe there is something that explains his FG%.

Dime Magazine (dimemag.com) Victor Oladipo & The Top 10 Rookie Of The Year Candidates

Because I hate sites that drag articles out over multiple pages for clicks, here is the list.

1. Victor Oladipo

2. C.J. McCollum

3. Trey Burke

4. Anthony Bennett

5. Otto Porter Jr.

6. Ben McLemore

7. Shabazz Muhammad

8. KCP

9. Sergey Karasev

10. Reggie Bullock