DaBishop

2013 Draft thread

Glenn Robinson is definitely a lottery pick...not. In no way is he better than Burke as a prospect.

Burke is the better player, Robinson is the better prospect. Two different things for sure.

That should be the final nail in the coffin forany Burke is a lottery pick talk.

Noel went down tonight with a knee injury. No word yet but it looked bad. I would be shocked if he plays again this year.

Nerlens Noel is out the rest of the year with a torn ACL. Johnathan Givony (Draft Express) says it doesn't change a thing.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/301767567943540737

My take on Nerlens Noel NBA stock in wake of the ACL tear: he's the same prospect today he was yesterday. Still goes 1-3. Nothing changed.
Teams will want their doctors to have a thorough look at the knee, but if Noel is only out until Dec/Jan, its not the end of the world.

Nerlens Noel is out the rest of the year with a torn ACL. Johnathan Givony (Draft Express) says it doesn't change a thing.

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/301767567943540737

That's pretty hard to believe, as Noel was going to be the likely #1 overall pick regardless of who was picking.

Every ACL injury is different, and the surgery/rehab has come light years since the days when Bernard King's 2+ year comeback from it was seen as a major triumph. Still, for Givony to come out and say that a torn ACL doesn't change anything for Noel is the arrogant kind of broad and sweeping statement that makes sports writers lose credibility.

Sure, it isn't the end of the road for Noel but it sure does take a lot of crucial developmental time away from a young man who has a lot of great natural tools.

Some of you might remember the lottery watch I have done in the years past. I hope to have that going before the all-star break is over. Here is what I am talking about if you are new. It just tracks all the teams in contention for a lottery pick. This was a few years ago:

iKFyD.png

That's pretty hard to believe, as Noel was going to be the likely #1 overall pick regardless of who was picking.

Every ACL injury is different, and the surgery/rehab has come light years since the days when Bernard King's 2+ year comeback from it was seen as a major triumph. Still, for Givony to come out and say that a torn ACL doesn't change anything for Noel is the arrogant kind of broad and sweeping statement that makes sports writers lose credibility.

Sure, it isn't the end of the road for Noel but it sure does take a lot of crucial developmental time away from a young man who has a lot of great natural tools.

So if Noel falls to us... let's say we're drafting at #9 again... do we select him?

I would.

Here it is.

Full size if you prefer.

6W4MORK.png

In the east the difference between the 8th and 9th spot is 5.5 games I think. So I only included the teams out of the playoffs.

In the west Houston is only 1/2 a game ahead of Portland so I included them as I imagine those two will go back and forth. If another team comes close to dropping into the lottery I will add them.

So if Noel falls to us... let's say we're drafting at #9 again... do we select him?

I would.

I can't imagine Noel would fall to ninth.

If the Pistons could just go on a little cold streak, they'd move up to 6th, from 9th. At 6, you have a 20% chance of picking in the top 3. Huge difference from 9, where you only have a 6% chance.

Edited by alwaysthrowheat

I can't imagine Noel would fall to ninth.

Noel is either going to come back for a year and go #1/2, or his knee is going to progress well enough in the next 4 months that he's deemed healthy enough to go #1/2. Either way, he's going to be a top 2 pick.

If the Pistons could just go on a little cold streak, they'd move up to 6th, from 9th. At 6, you have a 20% chance of picking in the top 3. Huge difference from 9, where you only have a 6% chance.

It seems like we are saying this every year.

I almost wonder if the Oladipo hype is getting to be too much. Chad Ford now has him ranked ahead of Shabazz Muhammad. I don't think he has near the offensive potential of Muhummad but given his defense, maybe this is fair.

Also glad to see Gary Harris finally getting his due. I hope he keeps moving up draft boards because I would not be upset if we ended up with him as our lottery pick.

Through 2/22/13. Full Size.

I realize there is a tie with two teams. I didn't change the order # or the odds to reflect the tie. I left it as is because there is a tie breaker used and one team will get the 6th slot odds and the other team will get the 7th slot odds.

cIrtc31.png

I have already resigned myself to the fact we will be picking in the 8-10 range again.

I have already resigned myself to the fact we will be picking in the 8-10 range again.

purgatory.