DaBishop

2013 Draft thread

This makes me very sad. But it also doesn't surprise me. After all, Joe picked Brandon Knight and since he can't start at PG he must be a starting caliber SG in this league, right? I mean, right?

We couldn't possibly admit that he's a bench player and just draft another SG that actually fits the position. Why do that when you can add another bad decision on top of it and draft MCW for the sole reason that we're hoping his size makes up for Knight's lack of size at SG. After all, we even picked our coach because he's good at working with guards and can hopefully fix Brandon.

Seems like so much of what I'm hearing about Detroit's plans is all about Joe proving that Brandon was a good pick. He thinks he's got his starting PG - wait, no I meant SG - of the future. Are we going to move him to SF when that doesn't work out to try to find a way to make him work as the starter so Joe's ego doesn't take a hit? Let's just admit that Kemba Walker was the right pick, or Klay Thompson, or Kawhi Leonard, okay? Can we skip straight to that and not do the Rodney Stuckey thing again please?

This makes me very sad. But it also doesn't surprise me. After all, Joe picked Brandon Knight and since he can't start at PG he must be a starting caliber SG in this league, right? I mean, right?

We couldn't possibly admit that he's a bench player and just draft another SG that actually fits the position. Why do that when you can add another bad decision on top of it and draft MCW for the sole reason that we're hoping his size makes up for Knight's lack of size at SG. After all, we even picked our coach because he's good at working with guards and can hopefully fix Brandon.

Seems like so much of what I'm hearing about Detroit's plans is all about Joe proving that Brandon was a good pick. He thinks he's got his starting PG - wait, no I meant SG - of the future. Are we going to move him to SF when that doesn't work out to try to find a way to make him work as the starter so Joe's ego doesn't take a hit? Let's just admit that Kemba Walker was the right pick, or Klay Thompson, or Kawhi Leonard, okay? Can we skip straight to that and not do the Rodney Stuckey thing again please?

Which is or would be sort of odd. One of the best things Joe did at the start of his tenure was admit his mistakes. And he moved fast to correct them.

This isn't really for the hardcore Burke fans, since I know your answer already.

Say Detroit takes Bennett at #8 and Burke is around at #12. Do you make a full court press on OKC to snag their pick and take Burke?

EDIT: Doesn't have to be Bennett at #8 I guess. Anyone who isn't a PG would work for this question.

I'm a big Burke fan so obviously i would but what's your definition of "full court press"? The Pistons don't have many assets of value and no, i wouldn't trade Monroe for the #12 pick even if it meant getting Burke.

This isn't really for the hardcore Burke fans, since I know your answer already.

Say Detroit takes Bennett at #8 and Burke is around at #12. Do you make a full court press on OKC to snag their pick and take Burke?

EDIT: Doesn't have to be Bennett at #8 I guess. Anyone who isn't a PG would work for this question.

Honestly, I would be looking to pick up another pick in the 10-20 range no matter what. This team is desperate for talent and although not top heavy with sure picks, this draft has the advantage that someone later in the draft could be as helpful as someone in the top 10 range. The team has money to spend and an owner that claims to be willing to drop some cash to make us a success. We should be looking to buy a pick, make a trade to acquire picks, or use our two second round picks to move up.

Let's see us actually do something on draft night for once instead of watching other teams make moves to stockpile youth while we sit on our hands. Teams want to shed draft picks this year? Cool, let's be the team that buys low and in quantity in order to find the gems that inevitably come out of every draft unexpectedly.

Which is or would be sort of odd. One of the best things Joe did at the start of his tenure was admit his mistakes. And he moved fast to correct them.

It was his first GM job and had nothing to lose by saying that. I believe Dumars thinks he's done a good job assembling his rosters, and believes his head coaches are the reason why they haven't been succeeding.

I'm a big Burke fan so obviously i would but what's your definition of "full court press"? The Pistons don't have many assets of value and no, i wouldn't trade Monroe for the #12 pick even if it meant getting Burke.

Without a doubt you would have to take Perkins from OKC.

Honestly, I would be looking to pick up another pick in the 10-20 range no matter what. This team is desperate for talent and although not top heavy with sure picks, this draft has the advantage that someone later in the draft could be as helpful as someone in the top 10 range. The team has money to spend and an owner that claims to be willing to drop some cash to make us a success. We should be looking to buy a pick, make a trade to acquire picks, or use our two second round picks to move up.

Let's see us actually do something on draft night for once instead of watching other teams make moves to stockpile youth while we sit on our hands. Teams want to shed draft picks this year? Cool, let's be the team that buys low and in quantity in order to find the gems that inevitably come out of every draft unexpectedly.

Me and you always yell and scream for them to buy extra picks.

I would probably take on someone like Marion for one year if thats all it cost me. 2 years like Perkins? I would really have to like the guy.

It was his first GM job and had nothing to lose by saying that. I believe Dumars thinks he's done a good job assembling his rosters, and believes his head coaches are the reason why they haven't been succeeding.

Joe should fire the guy that keeps hiring those coaches.

Draft Day rumblings: Will Cavs keep No. 1? - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

• The Cavs' top option is to trade the No. 1 overall pick for a combination of a veteran plus a 2014 lottery pick. If they can pull that off, they'll move the pick. If they can't, they'll keep attempting to move whoever they draft until all their options have been exercised. In other words, don't assume that they are keeping who they draft at No. 1.
• Later in the first round, the Celtics are trying to pick up a late-first or early-second-round pick. Sources say their target is Missouri's Phil Pressey if they decide to go big with their first pick in the draft.

And because I love to torture you guys:

The hardest asset for a team to get right now is a 2014 lottery pick. As I've written over and over this year, the 2014 draft is shaping up to be one of the strongest since 2003. There are between five to eight future All-Stars in the draft. No one wants to give away a pick next year for someone this year in a much weaker draft. I'd put the odds at 95 percent no potential 2014 lottery pick is moved tonight.

Ford (ESPN) - Anthony Bennett*

Mannix (Sports Illustrated) - Trey Burke

Draftexpress - Anthony Bennett

NBADraft.net - Otto Porter Jr.

Sheridan Hoops - CJ McCollum

Keith Langlois - Anthony Bennett.

New updates in bold.

NBADraft.net - Ben McLemore

Extended NBA Mock Draft 8.0 | NBADraft.net

Last year our guy Andre Drummond somehow fell into Joe Dumars lap. If this really happens, the Pistons will officially be back in business with one of the best young nucleuses in the league. The Pistons appear set on Michael Carter Williams or CJ McCollom here, but Dumars has shown an excellent ability to assess the players that slip and change course, and if a talent like McLemore is available look for him to gobble him up. McLemore remains our top overall prospect, but struggled in workouts. He is the guy in this draft with the greatest shot at becoming a superstar. His outside shot is comparable to a perfect golf swing, it's a thing of beauty. Combine that with freakish athleticism and you have a high level prospect. A SG going first overall has not happened in 40 years, McLemore still has a chance to do it, but it may require a team trading up for it to happen. NBA Comparison: Ray Allen

Draftnet is such a waste. I stopped going there because they seem to have absolutely no clue. In the last week they've had Oladipo and now McLemore falling to us. Seriously, if either of those guys falls out of the top 3-5 it'd be a miracle.

Yeah, I think McLemore ends up as the best player in this draft. I didn't think Drummond would fall as far as he did, so it could happen but I doubt it. Anthony Bennett looks like a PF to me, Jason Maxiell with more range. That doesn't really excite me, but it seems like there is a good chance he'll be the pick if he's there.

Me and you always yell and scream for them to buy extra picks.

I would probably take on someone like Marion for one year if thats all it cost me. 2 years like Perkins? I would really have to like the guy.

Bright side with Perkins is he is supposed to be a great locker-room guy everyone respects. Although he is pretty bad at this point in his career, having him mentor Monroe and Drummond with some toughness wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world.

I can see McLemore dropping. He has had quite a few bad workouts.

The agent he just hired sounds pretty shady too.

McLemore should go 1st but hey, if 7 dumb GMs wanna pass on him because poor workouts or whatever then go ahead. We'll steal him and laugh at them like we did last year with Drummond.

I'd give OKC the #8 pick for that deal.

No, they need more, #12 < #8, Perkins has negative value to the Pistons and #29 is worse then 2nd rounders. Basically great deal for OKC they improve their draft position by 4 spots, salary dump Perkins, all for a basically worthless pick at #29.

Can Porter shoot threes? They really really need somebody who can stretch the floor. I'm not sure Porter is that guy. I think Porter is a classic low ceiling, high floor player. A jack of all trades and master of none sort of guy.

I don't really want to take Porter.

I think most people believe he can, he really improved his shooting last year.

Yeah, I think McLemore ends up as the best player in this draft. I didn't think Drummond would fall as far as he did, so it could happen but I doubt it. Anthony Bennett looks like a PF to me, Jason Maxiell with more range. That doesn't really excite me, but it seems like there is a good chance he'll be the pick if he's there.

Outside of body type I think the Bennett/Maxiell comparisons are poor.

From the DX scouting report:

A 6-7 center. Might just not have the size or outstanding skills to make up for it at the next level. Non-existent ball-handling skills, can not put the ball on the floor as his 1st step is very limited. Jumper has improved but can only really hit it when he is wide open. Lateral quickness is very limited, and he'll struggle guarding PF's at the next level. Numbers have taken a hit playing next to better teammates. A bit inconsistent and is prone to disappear at times. Scores a lot in the post in college thanks to his brute strength, but needs to develop more of a finesse game to stick at the next level.

From DraftExpress.com DraftExpress - NBA Draft, NCAA/International Basketball Website.

DraftExpress - NBA Draft, NCAA/International Basketball Website.

Pretty much the opposite of Bennett. Max was also a four year guy, Bennett is a freshman (old freshman). For Bennett the big question is if he will guard anyone on the next level and can he play starters minutes.

Yeah, anyone who compares Bennett and Maxiell know nothing about Bennett, or Maxiell for that matter. It's really the worse comparison I have seen in this years draft.

I guess at thing point I don't care who the Pistons take, as long as it isn't MCW I will be happy.

New updates in bold.

Extended NBA Mock Draft 8.0 | NBADraft.net

New updates in bold.

Mannix (Sports Illustrated) - Michael Carter-Williams

2013 NBA Mock Draft: Cavaliers select Nerlens Noel at No. 1 - Draft 2013 - Chris Mannix - SI.com

There are strong indications that with its frontcourt set, the Pistons want to land a point guard here to develop alongside Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond. Carter-Williams remains something of a project, but he is a dazzling playmaker who excels in the open floor. He will need to polish his jump shot and tighten his dribble, but many executives believe his upside is higher than Burke's. A source says the presence of Brandon Knight won't stop Detroit from grabbing a playmaker; the Pistons are fine with moving Knight to the off-guard or the bench.

I really don't want MCW.

If we do land Perkins though, then I would make the move to try and pry Rondo from the C's....they were best buddies and it would probably be the only way to have Rondo not be a problem child in the locker room. Then again, if you didn't resign Perk he'd become a cry baby again most likely.

Well, I am not and have never claimed to be an NBA scout, so my comparisons should be taken with a grain of salt regardless. :lick: From what I've seen of Bennett, he's probably a SF/PF tweener who would struggle to guard bigger 4s and quicker 3s. Maxiell admittedly wasn't a great comparison the more I think about it and look at it, but they're both athletic guys with huge wingspans and similar body types who can jump, run the floor well, and dunk a lot which is why I said it originally. Bennett's shooting ability, range, and superior ballhandling make it a bad comparison though.