DaBishop

2013 Draft thread

I said before conference play Burke was a mid round pick and I still believe that is case but I am leaning against him being a lottery pick. He does not have natural point guard skills and is not a great athlete. He does so many things well I think he will be a solid starter in the NBA but I am not sure he has enough upside to be worthy of a lottery pick.

Like you, I believed Burke to be a mid-round pick who had a shot of sneaking into the lottery befoer B1G play began. What I've seen from him in both Ohio St. games and the Indiana game is making me think he could fall pretty far in the draft before it is all said and done, as Deleterious implied weeks ago.

Burke has become less effective off the dribble drive and he's looking less and less, seemingly, to set up the bigs down low. Could part of this be that he doesn't trust them to finish (even on the break)? I don't know, but it is noticable in these big games. It really makes me wonder if the team won't improve next year with a true pg like Walton running the show, and yes, the grass is always greener.

Through the rest of the schedule we'll find out if Burke is more Travis Best than he is Raymond Felton, and in the meantime I hope he finds less of a need to jack up contested NBA-range threes after dribbling the shot clock out to four seconds several posessions per game.

McLemore is 3 months older than Oladipo. Most of the mock draft sites have Oladipo way underrated at this point, I bet that changes after Saturday. That alley-oop that he almost went up a got was as spectacular a miss as you will see. On the hand-checking, thats just B1G basketball, Craft is even worse. Michigan will have less of that to worry about in the NCAA tournament.

Oladipo is an interesting prospect to be sure, but it isn't like he's nothing I've never seen.

The two most spectacular misses I've ever seen on dunks belong to Dr. J (NBA) and Vince Carter (NCAA), both of whom missed their jams with such ferocity that the ball caromed to near half-court.

Craft may be more persistant with his hand-check, but Oladipo is much stronger and with longer arms. To be sure, B1G refs are beyond awful.

What do you guys think of SF Otto Porter?

I like his game. I have to see more, but he seems pretty rock solid. Not a ton of upside, but a guy who should be a starter for a long time. A Jeff Green with the handles to stay at the 3.

What do you guys think of SF Otto Porter?

I feel like I'm looking at a lesser version of Prince when I watch Porter, and he'll need all four years at G'town to be the NBA player Prince was.

Porter's length, willingness to play D, smart play with and without the basketball, shooting technique flaws, and lack of sudden quickness remind me a lot of Prince.

Porter will need to be able to finish with his left hand, shoot beyond 17' with confidence, and add weight without sacrificing any quickness to be a first round pick at any point IMO. He's an interesting prospect, just hope he stays in school to develop more.

I need to devise a way to watch draft prospects without having to actually watch college basketball.

The refs have ruined college basketball. There is a much bigger gap between pro and college officiating in basketball than there is in football.

So GRIII is playing himself into a sophomore season and Burke is playing himself into the bottom third of the first round. Nice job guys.

So GRIII is playing himself into a sophomore season and Burke is playing himself into the bottom third of the first round. Nice job guys.

True of GR III, false concerning Burke. Again, he was the best player on the floor, and it wasn't close. GR III is no where to be found in close games, he is the most unmotivated played I can remember seeing as a college freshman.

Burke has only continued to show he is the best player in the country and a great PG. There are probably only 8-10 NBA teams he couldn't start for as I type this.

True of GR III, false concerning Burke. Again, he was the best player on the floor, and it wasn't close. GR III is no where to be found in close games, he is the most unmotivated played I can remember seeing as a college freshman.

Burke has only continued to show he is the best player in the country and a great PG. There are probably only 8-10 NBA teams he couldn't start for as I type this.

Burke was brutal against Indiana and Wisconsin. He disappeared at the end of the OSU game as well.

Burke was brutal against Indiana and Wisconsin. He disappeared at the end of the OSU game as well.

I wouldn't go as far as to say he was brutal but he wasn't as good as his numbers indicated, especially in the Indiana game. Both games he got his points but he took a ton of shots to get them, many of which were bad ones. He also struggled to blow by guys, majority of the times he was in an iso situation he settled for a jumper. It wasn't like he was consistently breaking the defense down for layups or kickouts of open 3s. Honestly if I was a scout and I just watched them 2 games I'd probably be higher on Hardaway than any of them 3. Atleast he was able to create his own shot(without the help of a screen), and hit from downtown, drive and dunk and hit the mid range jumper. Granted I'm not a scout but if I was I would say that Hardaway was the most impressive of any of UM players.

GRIII needs at least one more year, his basketball IQ isn't even close to NBA-ready. Once/If Hardaway declares after the season, GRIII will be able to play his natural 3 spot instead of playing out of position at the 4.

As for Burke, his decision making with the ball has been exposed big-time in this latest stretch of B1G games. His turnover numbers may be low, but the number of bad shots he jacks up after he's dribbled out the shot clock is far too high.

Again, he was the best player on the floor, and it wasn't close. GR III is no where to be found in close games, he is the most unmotivated played I can remember seeing as a college freshman.

I guess I remember Jerod Ward too well to say the same.

I guess I remember Jerod Ward too well to say the same.

On Burke, people are reading too much into one game here or there. What he is going through is no different than what Carter-Williams or Smart are going through. You need to look at the big picture.

On Robinson, I do think he should stay another year. But judging Robinson the way Michigan uses him is a joke. They are using him as a power forward where he is going to be a guard in the NBA.

Hopefully GR3 stays another year, he'll be fine with some time. He reminds me of Mcadoo, he just needs to figure out how to use his talent. I don't think Burke will go lottery unless he has a phenomenal tournament. Hardaway I'm not sure on. He could use another year too, but he is showing a lot this year.

On Burke, people are reading too much into one game here or there. What he is going through is no different than what Carter-Williams or Smart are going through. You need to look at the big picture.

On Robinson, I do think he should stay another year. But judging Robinson the way Michigan uses him is a joke. They are using him as a power forward where he is going to be a guard in the NBA.

On Burke, I think that he has as better team around him than those other two players do and he needs to work on incorporating the rest of his team a little better into his floor game. My beef with him is his judgement, not his skills.

On Robinson, I just don't think he has the ball handling or passing skills to be an NBA shooting guard. I see him as a pretty standard NBA SF at this point. With some major work I suppose he could develop into a Stackhouse-type, perhaps.

Draftexpress updated their top 100 and mock draft.

Top 100 prospects

DraftExpress Rankings: Top 100 Prospects

Burke at 17 and GRIII at 20. Everyone else is in the 60's or greater.

2013 Mock draft

DraftExpress: Mock Draft

Burke is the only one drafted at #17.

I didn't realize it at first. But look at the jump Oladipo made since the last time these were updated. From #28 to #9.

I wouldn't lump Smart into the CW, Burke category. The thing with Smart that separates him from Burke and Carter-Williams is that he does everything at a high level so when he isn't scoring, he impacts the game on so many levels. Burke is too much of a chucker for my liking, it's just his nature and he's a bit too small which gets exposed against the better teams. I'm sure that he will be a good pro but he still has more work to do on his game if he wants to hit that next level, he should stay another year at UM to round out his game IMO.

Smart to me is NBA ready now. He has the size and has a very polished game for such a young player. Needs to work on his shooting though.

Glenn Robinson is definitely a lottery pick...not. In no way is he better than Burke as a prospect.