DaBishop

2013 Draft thread

Your big mistake, comparing college production and projecting it into the NBA.

I feel, in Burkes case, it is pretty easy.

Also, way to take Burkes silly soft schedule and compare it to an entire season of Lawson in the ACC, the tournament, etc.

I don't feel there will be a drop off based on how good I think he is. But that is what's fun about speculation, we don't know how it will turn out, but I have made up my mind on how I think it will turn out.

RE: Lawson vs Burke

This comparison is a silly one. I watched almost every Lawson game in college (my roommate was a UNC junkie) and Burke is way more polished at this point than Lawson was in his best year at UNC, and he is two inches taller.

Burke is a better passer, a better shooter and a better scorer. Burke creates his own space better than pretty much any guard in college right now, he is silly good. Lawsons best year in college (his junior year) saw him with 16.6 ppg and 6.6 dimes a game. Burke, only a sophmore, is currently averaging 18.2 ppg and 7.5 dimes. If Burke finishes the season with a 17 and 7 avg he will be the first player in the big ten to do that since Magic Johnson in 78-79. Burke also turns the ball over less than Lawson.

Trey Burke is a better college player than Lawson was and Burke will be a much better pro. I am not afraid to say it, Trey Burke will be an elite PG in the NBA, just like Chris Paul.

Check their Draftexpress pages. Lawson measured 6'0.5" in shoes where Burke measured 6'0".

While I think Burke is marginally better than Lawson was his junior year, I don't get putting him into a category with Chris Paul.

I am not the only one saying it...that is the comparison he is drawing from college analyst and bloggers. If you watch him every game he plays just like chris paul.

Burke is most underrated player in the country. He could 35 a game if he wanted to. Against NW he staked the team to a 13-0 lead, scoring 11 with an assist, then he just let everyone else score the rest of the game. He is a surgeon on the floor.

Check their Draftexpress pages. Lawson measured 6'0.5" in shoes where Burke measured 6'0".

Burke grew this summer, which hasn't been accounted for.

Burke grew this summer, which hasn't been accounted for.
Measured at 6-0 in shoes at the Lebron James Academy this summer, Burke has average size for a NBA point guard. His 6-5 wingspan will help him a lot in overcoming that, though, as will his excellent athletic ability and aggressive mentality.

Posted Sept 8, 2012.

Posted Sept 8, 2012.

I will have to find the article, but Beilien said he measure 6-1 during camp. It has also been mentioned on several broadcast. Either way, an inch or two doesnt matter much to me. It will all play it self out, so I won't get worked up. I will just smile as he dominates.

I would have a much easier time agreeing with you if you were projecting him as a middle of the road PG like Lawson. And not an elite Chris Paul type.

I would have a much easier time agreeing with you if you were projecting him as a middle of the road PG like Lawson. And not an elite Chris Paul type.

That's OK, not everyone will agree. I just didn't want to be shy about my projection for him, I tend to shy away from making bold projections, because I agree with you, it is hard to do so for college to NBA kids. But in this instance I am willing to take a leap.

I think he is one of the hardest prospects to evaluate because he is playing a completely different position in college than he will the NBA. He does not take a lot of jump shots but his shot looks pure and I think it is legit. I have no idea about his ball handling skills. But I would take him in a second just based on his athleticism.

Not sure if it has been linked but I think the whole Chris Paul comparison started with this:

Why Trey Burke reminds me of Chris Paul - Men's College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

Personally, I think Burke is more of a 7 or 8 assist guy in the NBA rather than the 10+ assist guy Paul is. The steals are also a big difference between the two. Paul was a big steal guy from the moment he stepped on campus at Wake Forest. I do think Burke will be more of a 3 point shooter than Paul is in the NBA. But comparing Burke to an all time great point guard is not a fair comparison at this point.

Not sure if it has been linked but I think the whole Chris Paul comparison started with this:

Why Trey Burke reminds me of Chris Paul - Men's College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

Personally, I think Burke is more of a 7 or 8 assist guy in the NBA rather than the 10+ assist guy Paul is. The steals are also a big difference between the two. Paul was a big steal guy from the moment he stepped on campus at Wake Forest. I do think Burke will be more of a 3 point shooter than Paul is in the NBA. But comparing Burke to an all time great point guard is not a fair comparison at this point.

Burke might not be Chris Paul, but he's still going to be a very good NBA player (I hope).

But he does remind me of Paul. But I will freely admit that I don't watch enough basketball - or know enough about basketball - to be able to make an educated comparison.

Burke might not be Chris Paul, but he's still going to be a very good NBA player (I hope).

But he does remind me of Paul. But I will freely admit that I don't watch enough basketball - or know enough about basketball - to be able to make an educated comparison.

There is not too many people that watch enough basketball to truly make these comparisons. I am sure a lot of people in this state have seen Burke play many times but how many people in Michigan truly see Paul more than once or twice a season? My gut says most of the comparisons are made based on scouting reports, highlights, statistics, and measurables with very little based on actual observation of both players involved. I am as guilty of this as anybody.

I know it is almost unfathomable to draft another combo guard but I would take a serious look at CJ McCollum if we end up in the lower lottery again. Our guards suck and we are desperate for some guards that can shoot and score easy. I think McCollum has a good chance at being a 20 ppg player at the next level while shooting 40% from three.

If we're talking about Michigan players, what about Stauskas? The kid is 6'6" an incredible shooter, has a good handle, is really athletic and has a lot of swagger something of which the Pistons have very little of. He's not the typical one dimensional shooter that we see so often in college. We could really use an athletic wing who can shoot the lights out although point guard is a much bigger need (Knight isn't a PG, sorry).

I like Burke a lot but i would like to see how he does over the course of the season in a rugged big ten before comparing him to the likes of Lawson or "gulp" Chris Paul. Remember, he doesn't have a lot of pedigree to fall back on, he was lightly recruited out of high school and was ok last season but didn't really stand out too much. He looks light years better than he did last season and he does have some projectable skills to the next level but he is still largely unproven.

The real test is if he can maintain consistency over the longhaul and step up now that he's becoming a target of opponents.

To the poster who said that he's a better college player than Lawson.... That's crazy talk, Lawson was virtually unstoppable in college, he was the architect of one of the most feared fast breaks in recent history. Burke has a ways to go to be on that level but he does have the ability. We'll see.

Edited by NYLion

Since you brought up Stauskas. How many of the Michigan kids would be first round picks if they all came out this year?

If we're talking about Michigan players, what about Stauskas? The kid is 6'6" an incredible shooter, has a good handle, is really athletic and has a lot of swagger something of which the Pistons have very little of. He's not the typical one dimensional shooter that we see so often in college. We could really use an athletic wing who can shoot the lights out although point guard is a much bigger need (Knight isn't a PG, sorry).

I like Burke a lot but i would like to see how he does over the course of the season in a rugged big ten before comparing him to the likes of Lawson or "gulp" Chris Paul. Remember, he doesn't have a lot of pedigree to fall back on, he was lightly recruited out of high school and was ok last season but didn't really stand out too much. He looks light years better than he did last season and he does have some projectable skills to the next level but he is still largely unproven.

The real test is if he can maintain consistency over the longhaul and step up now that he's becoming a target of opponents.

To the poster who said that he's a better college player than Lawson.... That's crazy talk, Lawson was virtually unstoppable in college, he was the architect of one of the most feared fast breaks in recent history. Burke has a ways to go to be on that level but he does have the ability. We'll see.

I would like to point out a few things:

1. UMs offense, led by Burke, scores more points per possession than Lawsons Tar Heels ever had.

2. Burke was the co Freshman of the year in the Big Ten last season, you know along with Cody Zeller.

3. Burkes numbers in his sophmore year are better than Lawson in his junior year (his best year). And yes Del, I know the Big Ten season just started.

4. Burke is in no way unproven at this point, he is on every bodys radar and he has earned it.

5. Burke was a pre-season All American this season.

6. Just won the national player of the week and has already won the big 10 player of the week twice, in the best conference in the country.

Like I said, I watched pretty much every Lawson game in college, Burke is better.

Since you brought up Stauskas. How many of the Michigan kids would be first round picks if they all came out this year?

Burke and GR III I think. Stauskas is still a bit raw, but he is going to be really good.

I would like to point out a few things:

1. UMs offense, led by Burke, scores more points per possession than Lawsons Tar Heels ever had.

2. Burke was the co Freshman of the year in the Big Ten last season, you know along with Cody Zeller.

3. Burkes numbers in his sophmore year are better than Lawson in his junior year (his best year). And yes Del, I know the Big Ten season just started.

4. Burke is in no way unproven at this point, he is on every bodys radar and he has earned it.

5. Burke was a pre-season All American this season.

6. Just won the national player of the week and has already won the big 10 player of the week twice, in the best conference in the country.

Like I said, I watched pretty much every Lawson game in college, Burke is better.

Burke was good last season but he was still really raw (shot way too much) although he was clutch, this season he is a lot more polished and has become much more of a true point guard.

He's not unproven, he's RELATIVELY unproven especially in the context of comparing his college career to Lawson. He had a good freshman season and has been spectacular this season against a pre-conference schedule, Northwestern and Iowa. There were some good opponents in there namely Kansas State and NC State but i personally need to see him maintain this level through the grueling Big 10 schedule and in the tourney to be convinced.

Again, we're talking about over their careers. Lawson led North Carolina to the Championshuip playing at an extremely high level while Burke hasn't even come close to such an accomplishment yet. As i said before, i'm confident that Burke will have a great season and be a good pro but he needs to be prove more to be considered a better college player than Lawson and i'm a huge college bball fan, i've seen a ton of both.

With all that being said, i'm a big fan of the kid and of Michigan so it's going to be a lot of fun to see him and the team progress through the season.

Burke was good last season but he was still really raw (shot way too much) although he was clutch, this season he is a lot more polished and has become much more of a true point guard.

He's not unproven, he's RELATIVELY unproven especially in the context of comparing his college career to Lawson. He had a good freshman season and has been spectacular this season against a pre-conference schedule, Northwestern and Iowa. There were some good opponents in there namely Kansas State and NC State but i personally need to see him maintain this level through the grueling Big 10 schedule and in the tourney to be convinced.

Again, we're talking about over their careers. Lawson led North Carolina to the Championshuip playing at an extremely high level while Burke hasn't even come close to such an accomplishment yet. As i said before, i'm confident that Burke will have a great season and be a good pro but he needs to be prove more to be considered a better college player than Lawson and i'm a huge college bball fan, i've seen a ton of both.

With all that being said, i'm a big fan of the kid and of Michigan so it's going to be a lot of fun to see him and the team progress through the season.

I can agree with you on the part that Lawson is the more accomplished college player...that is a no brainer. But I think Burke is already on Lawson's level as an NBA prospect. I can understand Del's point that he needs to prove himself more in the Big Ten but I am also pretty confident this will happen.

The Draftexpress mock for comparison. He specifically says this is just a top 100 prospect list. It was updated on Jan 11th.

DraftExpress Rankings: Top 100 Prospects

Burke at #21

GRIII at #33

Gary Harris at #60 (MSU)

Branden Dawson at #61 (MSU)

Adreian Payne at #63 (MSU)

Hardaway Jr. at #80

60 seems way too law for Harris. I think he has a good amount of Eric Gordon in him. He has not exploded as a freshman the way Gordon did but there are other reasons for that and by the end of the year, I expect him to be a lot higher on this list.

Stealing Del's thunder a little bit here but don't feel bad about it because this guy is one of my favorite prospects:

DraftExpress: NBA Draft Prospect of the Week: C.J. McCollum

If you don't have a go to player who can create in the half court, I think you need to load up on players like McCollum who can knock down perimeter shots under pressure.