DaBishop

2013 Draft thread

I am surprised you are so concerned about Burke's height after upholding the virtues of Ty Lawson to this board. I have nothing against Lawson; I just think Burke compares favorably to him as a prospect and in measurables.

Context. When do I usually talk about Lawson? When I rip Joe for drafting Daye.

Plus, Lawson is the same size as Burke and much faster and quicker. And I don't think for one second Lawson is leading a team to a championship.

Edited by Deleterious

I think he's better than you're giving him credit for. I think he's going to be a pretty good pro.

This will probably shock you because it rarely happens. But I have been wrong before.

I'd like to see a more in between game from him, more creating shots for himself. He seems to be either a dunk or a three type player lately.

Chalk that up to being a freshman I think. He has the tools, he just needs to learn to use them. That will come with experience.

I am surprised you are so concerned about Burke's height after upholding the virtues of Ty Lawson to this board. I have nothing against Lawson; I just think Burke compares favorably to him as a prospect and in measurables.

I agree that Burke compares favorably to Lawson. Lawson plays to his height, Burke plays bigger.

Chalk that up to being a freshman I think. He has the tools, he just needs to learn to use them. That will come with experience.

GRIII is playing his role right now and playing within himself on a good college team. If he were starting for FAU or somewhere he was relied upon to be THE MAN, I really think we would see more of his game come out due to necessity.

With more experience, though, the kid could be considerably more dynamic.

Plus, Lawson is the same size as Burke and much faster and quicker. And I don't think for one second Lawson is leading a team to a championship.

If I remember correctly, you wanted Lawson with that pick. You were right we should have drafted Lawson...no question about that. Or Jrue Holiday. Or Jeff Teague. Or Darren Collison. I think Burke is an equal prospect to all those guys. For me, that means he is a mid first round pick at this point...Would you agree?

If I remember correctly, you wanted Lawson with that pick. You were right we should have drafted Lawson...no question about that. Or Jrue Holiday. Or Jeff Teague. Or Darren Collison. I think Burke is an equal prospect to all those guys. For me, that means he is a mid first round pick at this point...Would you agree?

Burke isn't nearly as good as Lawson so I doubt it. Bottom third of the 1st round tops.

Its nearly impossible to project right now. We have no clue on what teams are drafting, their team needs. Then you have the 5 guys we think will be high picks that will play their way out of that. Then 5 guys we probably haven't heard of who will play their way into a high pick, etc.

I don't know why everyone is so upset. Me and T&P agreed pretty easy. Burke controls his own destiny with the conference he plays in. Michigan does well with him leading he ups his stock. They finish out of the title chase, flame out in the first/second round of the tournament and he plays average or below average, then he is in trouble.

Its nearly impossible to project right now. We have no clue on what teams are drafting, their team needs. Then you have the 5 guys we think will be high picks that will play their way out of that. Then 5 guys we probably haven't heard of who will play their way into a high pick, etc.

I don't know why everyone is so upset. Me and T&P agreed pretty easy. Burke controls his own destiny with the conference he plays in. Michigan does well with him leading he ups his stock. They finish out of the title chase, flame out in the first/second round of the tournament and he plays average or below average, then he is in trouble.

Pretty much every prospects stock will be determined in the next 12 weeks. It was what we project that be that is worth the discussion.

Pretty much every prospects stock will be determined in the next 12 weeks. It was what we project that be that is worth the discussion.

Lots of people slotted in. Burke isn't one of them, not even close.

Lots of people slotted in. Burke isn't one of them, not even close.

Slotted in where. The lottery? 10-20? I would say very few players are slotted in.

Antoine Walker 2.0, but attacks the rim with more ferocity and doesn't pass as well (at all?).

Bennett looks like he could play SF in the NBA, especially if he invests in his body. This is the kind of kid you would like to see play another year or two to refine his body and his IQ, but that just doesn't happen much these days. He wouldn't be the prototypical NBA SF, but Barkley wasn't either with Philly when he would slide over to the 3 when he was in the lineup with either Mahorn or Roy Hinson at the other forward spot.

I'll definitely keep an eye on Bennett—definitely not a cookie-cutter guy.

That kid is a very impressive prospect...I would put him right up there with Noel and Muhammad. I would be ecstatic to get a guy like that. If he is able to get by as a power forward in the NBA, oh my word watch out!

There are a whole bunch of intriguing guys that could be in this 5-8 area of the draft. I think if Shabazz Muhammed somehow falls he is the no brainer BPA pick. He looks like a beast.

But after that the group of Nerlens Noel, Anthony Bennett, James McAdoo, Otto Porter, Alex Poythress, and Michael Carter-Williams all look to have some promise. Obviously all of these guys aren't gonna be stars, but this draft isn't looking as crappy as it was last year.

I think I like McAdoo the best out of this group. Obviously Noel is a physical freak, but it would be tough to maximize his potential when both Monroe and Drummond are playing where he could. So I think McAdoo is the way to go. I read his comparison as "Josh Smith with a jump shot" and that's basically what I'd like to see. Imagine the shot blocking potential between him and Drummond...

I mentioned MCW only because he's the top PG in the draft and it appears that Knight definitely isn't the PG of the Pistons' future.

I have been hearing that a lot of scouts are really high on Anthony Bennett. I haven't seen a UNLV game yet but supposedly has a pro low post game. I've heard the words "throw back" when they talk about how he plays with his back to the basket.

Many mock drafts have the Pistons taking Bennett right now. He looks pretty damn good. It's just my personal preference away from undersized PF who play below the rim. But I certainly wouldn't be upset if the Pistons drafted him.

I think I like McAdoo the best out of this group. Obviously Noel is a physical freak, but it would be tough to maximize his potential when both Monroe and Drummond are playing where he could. So I think McAdoo is the way to go. I read his comparison as "Josh Smith with a jump shot" and that's basically what I'd like to see. Imagine the shot blocking potential between him and Drummond...

I think McAdoo is far overrated. I'd take all of the others you mentioned over him.

Neither Lawson nor Burke should be judged on that merit though IMO. If we can get a Lawson caliber PG, that would be huge.

RE: Lawson vs Burke

This comparison is a silly one. I watched almost every Lawson game in college (my roommate was a UNC junkie) and Burke is way more polished at this point than Lawson was in his best year at UNC, and he is two inches taller.

Burke is a better passer, a better shooter and a better scorer. Burke creates his own space better than pretty much any guard in college right now, he is silly good. Lawsons best year in college (his junior year) saw him with 16.6 ppg and 6.6 dimes a game. Burke, only a sophmore, is currently averaging 18.2 ppg and 7.5 dimes. If Burke finishes the season with a 17 and 7 avg he will be the first player in the big ten to do that since Magic Johnson in 78-79. Burke also turns the ball over less than Lawson.

Trey Burke is a better college player than Lawson was and Burke will be a much better pro. I am not afraid to say it, Trey Burke will be an elite PG in the NBA, just like Chris Paul.

This comparison is a silly one. I watched almost every Lawson game in college (my roommate was a UNC junkie) and Burke is way more polished at this point than Lawson was in his best year at UNC, and he is two inches taller.

Burke is a better passer, a better shooter and a better scorer. Burke creates his own space better than pretty much any guard in college right now, he is silly good. Lawsons best year in college (his junior year) saw him with 16.6 ppg and 6.6 dimes a game. Burke, only a sophmore, is currently averaging 18.2 ppg and 7.5 dimes. If Burke finishes the season with a 17 and 7 avg he will be the first player in the big ten to do that since Magic Johnson in 78-79. Burke also turns the ball over less than Lawson.

Trey Burke is a better college player than Lawson was and Burke will be a much better pro. I am not afraid to say it, Trey Burke will be an elite PG in the NBA, just like Chris Paul.

Your big mistake, comparing college production and projecting it into the NBA.

Also, way to take Burkes silly soft schedule and compare it to an entire season of Lawson in the ACC, the tournament, etc.

While I think Burke is marginally better than Lawson was his junior year, I don't get putting him into a category with Chris Paul.