DaBishop

2013 Draft thread

I guess I am one of those weirdos who enjoys both the NBA and college ball about equally. I will say this though, when Michigan is down I won't pay much attention to college hoops outside of March. When the Pistons are down I follow the NBA just as when the Pistons were good.

Both are different types of basketball with different feel to the game. Both are just fun to watch IMO.

I don't think I agree with the energy and passion level of players though. Superstars are given that moniker for a reason; guys like Kobe, KG, Iverson when he played and a slew of others play as if each play is their last.

Just to chime in on the college v pro discussion. I'm can't watch much college outside of playoffs. That includes both of my favorite sports, basketball and football.

In basketball, the 35 second shot clock drives me insane. But, more than that, I can't stand watching guys who'll be going to the NBA/NFL compete with guys who'll be busing tables in a couple of years. The talent disparity is just too big for me to find it entertaining. Not all teams are created equal in the NBA/NFL but at least most of those guys belong among the elite few who play NBA ball.

Yah, 35 seconds of passing around the perimeter until someone jacks up a 3 is damn frustrating.

Don't get me wrong, there are good college games. The best teams play some pretty good games and the Big10 and Big East have a level of physicality you can't even get in the NBA at times. Overall though, its hard for me to care a lot.

Just caught the highlights. Shabbaz Muhammad had 27 points to help UCLA beat Missouri in OT. Phil Pressey had 19 points and 19 assists for Missouri.

Anyone know if that is Paul Pressey's kid? The old Milwaukee Bucks forward.

OK I looked it up and it is his kid.

Rough year to have a top pick, especially since taking a big isn't ideal. Still, you have to go bpa. It will be interesting to see who emerges by seasons end though.

Draft Express has the Pistons with 4 picks and using all of them on C's, that seems a bit of an overkill on the BPA theory.

I wouldn't mind them getting another quality big but they really need the help on the perimeter, playing Kyle Singler is not a sign of strength at a position.

DraftExpress: Mock Draft

Considering the Pistons needs, I'm thinking McLemore would be a perfect fit. Polythres is interesting, but I'm thinking the Pistons could pick up Aminu in free agency to provide similar value. But this is really good year to pick up wing players, the Pistons will get good value again in this draft. BPA away, maybe this year the Pistons get lucky with ping pong balls though, in that case still take BPA even if it is Noel, not Zeller though.

Edited by DrWho17

Considering Burke's improved play this season, anyone else thinks he starts moving up towards the lottery if he can carry his play into B1G conf play?

I dislike the Knight comparison made earlier in this thread because Burke is a better ball handler, penetrator and finisher. With the draft being so big-topheavy, is it possible we trade down or even trade our pick away?

Considering Burke's improved play this season, anyone else thinks he starts moving up towards the lottery if he can carry his play into B1G conf play?

I dislike the Knight comparison made earlier in this thread because Burke is a better ball handler, penetrator and finisher. With the draft being so big-topheavy, is it possible we trade down or even trade our pick away?

If Burke came to the Pistons right now Knight would be moved to the bench, Burke is a much better player, right now, then Knight has ever shown. I don't see the Pistons trading down, maybe they make a move to get an extra pick though.

Burke should be a lottery pick, people will claim he is too small, but he is the same height as Chris Paul and currently more athletic after Paul's knee injuries. Now, I am not saying Burke is Chris Paul, but I do think that is the best comparison. Burke has elite vision and finishing ability near the rim, plus he can stroke it from outside. Burke is going to be a really good PG in the NBA. If he were drafted by the Pistons he would instantly become the best PG we have had since Chauncey, by a wide margin.

Burke will make a great PG for some European team.

You're wrong about this, very much so. He will start in the NBA next year. The guy is an elite talent. Under-rated for sure.

Either way, he probably won't be on the Pistons radar because Burke will go top 20 in the draft and the Pistons will draft a suspect player.

You're wrong about this, very much so. He will start in the NBA next year. The guy is an elite talent. Under-rated for sure.

Either way, he probably won't be on the Pistons radar because Burke will go top 20 in the draft and the Pistons will draft a suspect player.

He will be in the league, but not starting. Good college player but doesn't have NBA tools. Benefits a great deal from Beileins offensive system. He doesn't have to create nearly as much as he will have to in the NBA.

I'm reserving the right to change my opinion after B1G play and the tournament.

He will be in the league, but not starting. Good college player but doesn't have NBA tools. Benefits a great deal from Beileins offensive system. He doesn't have to create nearly as much as he will have to in the NBA.

That's all fair. I don't think I have missed a game since he started college and I have yet to see him outplayed by another PG. I think he has all the NBA tools, he looks so much better than last year, and last year he would have been drafted early in the 2nd round.

That's all fair. I don't think I have missed a game since he started college and I have yet to see him outplayed by another PG. I think he has all the NBA tools, he looks so much better than last year, and last year he would have been drafted early in the 2nd round.

His competition has been terrible. Playing in the B1G as tough as it is will either really help or hurt him.

His competition has been terrible. Playing in the B1G as tough as it is will either really help or hurt him.

Mostly agreed. His NBA stock will be determined in the next 12 weeks.

I agree that Burke hasn't really been tested yet, even by the NC State guards who were probably supposed to. And to be sure, he will probably make or break his draft stock over the next few months as D said.

As far as his tools, I see him as Raymond Felton with more firepower. I really don't see him as an El-Amin type who will end up on the fringes of the NBA, his tools are better than that IMO. Burke may end up measuring in the 5'10 range, which won't do him any favors on draft day . . . even if unfairly so. Burke is one hell of a finisher, and by now the scouts know that. He's going to have to show he can be a distributor on the NBA level by making his young teammates better as the B1G schedule plays out to really boost his status.

As much as I like Burke, I would like GRIII in a Pistons uniform just as well if he declares in 2013. It would be nice if Dumars could make a deal to get us another first-rounder for this draft, or even two.

GRIII has the brightest NBA future on that team. He does good in conference play and has a decent tournament, he will play himself into the bottom part of the lottery.

What tool doesn't he have besides height?

According to Draft Express, Burke measured at 6'0 in shoes with a 6'5 wingspan at the Lebron James Skills Academy. I don't think he is undersized as people believe. He does not have prototypical size though either.

He lacks explosiveness at the hoop but his dexterity is outstanding and this will somewhat offset that. He finished a little 5 foot leaner in the lane with his left hand last game; very rarely do I see guards finish with their off hand on anything other than a layup. His mid range shot is excellent as well. I would be surprised if he does not end up a starting point guard in the NBA.

GRIII has the brightest NBA future on that team. He does good in conference play and has a decent tournament, he will play himself into the bottom part of the lottery.

I'd like to see a more in between game from him, more creating shots for himself. He seems to be either a dunk or a three type player lately.

Any of the physical tools you would want.

I think he's better than you're giving him credit for. I think he's going to be a pretty good pro.

Any of the physical tools you would want.

I am surprised you are so concerned about Burke's height after upholding the virtues of Ty Lawson to this board. I have nothing against Lawson; I just think Burke compares favorably to him as a prospect and in measurables.