DaBishop

2013 Draft thread

ok...so I'll start it. It's early but I"m wondering what people are hearing about next years draft class and who the top lottery targets are expected to be next year.

There is a drop off of top talent in this draft compared to recent years, but Shabazz Muhammad (UCLA Fr SG/SF) seems to be a good fit considering Pistons already have front court locked up. 2014's draft will feature a lot more stars IMO

I'd be interested in C.J. Leslie, who looks like he has an Andrei Kirilenko-type game.

I could see a good offensive/ defensive mix in a starting 5 of Knight-English-Leslie-Monroe-Drummond. With Stuckey-Singler-Jerebko-Kravtsov having different skills to mix in off the bench. Need a better play-making backup PG than Bynum though...

I obviously hate my life and watched a college basketball game tonight. IU-UNC. Cody Zeller looked good.

Was an awesome game. As a hoosier, I love Zeller, but have plenty of reservations about him being a good pro. He needs to put on another 30-40 lbs, improve his offensive repertoire, and learn a lot on the defensive end. However, he has off the charts basketball IQ and runs the floor as well as any 7 footer I've ever seen.

Was an awesome game. As a hoosier, I love Zeller, but have plenty of reservations about him being a good pro. He needs to put on another 30-40 lbs, improve his offensive repertoire, and learn a lot on the defensive end. However, he has off the charts basketball IQ and runs the floor as well as any 7 footer I've ever seen.

You think he needs to add that much weight? I was thinking 10-15 pounds of muscle would be nice.

He really needs a 15 footer. But what college aged big man doesn't.

I obviously hate my life and watched a college basketball game tonight. IU-UNC. Cody Zeller looked good.

College ball is great, watching UM has been fun, they finally have NBA talent.

C.J. Leslie is listed as the #20 pick in the mock draft above, I see that changing. I've watched him and NC State a few times this year and he is always the best player on the floor.

Pistons need BPA in my opinion, a legit 2 guard would be nice.

Indiana looked really good last night. NC looked lost at times on both ends of the floor. I think it was near the end of the 1st half when Indiana had like 4 straight dunks. Really impressed with the Big Ten this season. Can't wait for Duke-OSU tonight.

You think he needs to add that much weight? I was thinking 10-15 pounds of muscle would be nice.

He really needs a 15 footer. But what college aged big man doesn't.

He has one (shoots around 75% from the line, and I've seen him knock it down in practice and warm ups, obviously much different than the game) but doesn't have the confidence to shoot for some reason.

You're right, he probably only needs about 20 more pounds. I think he weighed ~215-220 when he came onto campus, and he's listed at 240 right now.

Class looks pretty weak at the moment. Might as well take the best player even if it's a big man but I'd like to see us get a wing or point guard.

Shabazz? Who are the top point guards? Watched Burke last night and liked what I saw.

Class looks pretty weak at the moment. Might as well take the best player even if it's a big man but I'd like to see us get a wing or point guard.

Shabazz? Who are the top point guards? Watched Burke last night and liked what I saw.

As far as point guards go, Burke is probably top of the list.

Not a Knight fan, but there is nobody in this draft to replace him. So no need to take a PG.

Agreed. This is not the draft to be searching for point guards. I don't even know if one will go in the lottery.

What's wrong with that? College basketball is awesome, much better than the NBA IMO.

Zeller looked good but i'm not sure if he'll be a great half court player at the NBA level, he's real good on the fast break though.

As mentioned above, Burke looks excellent early on although similar to Knight, he generally has more of a scorers mentality than a true PG mentality. The game against NC State was the first one that i saw of Burke in which he looked to distribute more than score but he looked fantastic in doing so, he'll be interesting to follow throughout the year as well as that Michigan team. That Canadian freschman is a treat to watch.

Edited by NYLion

I'll never get people who think college basketball is better than the pros. Oh well, to each his own.

Rough year to have a top pick, especially since taking a big isn't ideal. Still, you have to go bpa. It will be interesting to see who emerges by seasons end though.

I'll never get people who think college basketball is better than the pros. Oh well, to each his own.

Rough year to have a top pick, especially since taking a big isn't ideal. Still, you have to go bpa. It will be interesting to see who emerges by seasons end though.

Amen. The bold especially, but the entire post really.

Disagree greatly with the 1st part. NBA basketball is pretty tough to watch in the regular season outside of the 4th quarter. There is generally little passion in the crowd in the regular season outside of a few venues (OKC, Utah and Sacramento when they're doing well, MSG when the Knicks are doing well, can't think of anywhere else) and the players generally cruise through a lot of these games until late plus there is more individual play than team play.

I enjoy the NBA playoffs very much but it's not easy to watch regular season outside of my favorite team and watching the Pistons fail in front of 800 friends and family at the Palace is no picnic.

College basketball is full of passion, better team play for the most part and the NCAA tournament is the most exciting tournament of all. Just look at the UNC-Indiana, NC St-Michigan and Ohio St.-Duke games. Fantastic crowds, lots of passion from the players and good team ball. I guess to each their own.

Agreed on the 2nd part. This draft class looks pretty weak especially compared to the last draft but it's still early to know for sure. It depends on who declares for the draft and how these players progress through the season.

Edited by NYLion

I find whether you are in attandance impacts the pro vs. college decision.

I think attending a college basketball game has a better / more fun environment (especially in the student section) than a pro game. But I find the quality of play in the pro game much better.

In summary, I find the pro game better on TV and sometimes find the college game more enjoyable in person.