Motor City Sonics

The Marijuana Issue.

21 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I've always thought spending law enforcement time and energy on Marijuana was dumb - I was commenting on Melody's example more from the flawed warrant aspect that the particular crime being pursued. But that also still comes  back the same the point - Marijuana will be the cause of bad guys with unlicensed guns running around our towns where it's legal.

I make no claim to knowledge over the weed trade.  However, a couple of stems in the trash doesn’t sound to me to be probable cause for kicking down a door and seizing computers, etc.  Sounds more like personal use to me, in most states a ticket.  This is abuse and a waste of resources.  

4 hours ago, smr-nj said:

“.....Acapulco Gold is bad-*** weed”.

Just had to acknowledge your blast from the past. 😁

It is bad ***.  Blast from the past made me laugh too.  Like a blast off that bong. 🙂

• Haha 1

I think we need to dig a bit further to figure out what was really going on.  This was an appellate court ruling in Maryland.  Link here; UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR THE FOURTH CIRCUIT

A grand jury indicted defendant-appellee Tyrone Lyles for possessing firearms as a convicted felon, in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 922(g). The firearms were found in his home, which police searched after obtaining a warrant based on finding three marijuana stems in a trash pull. Lyles filed a motion to suppress the evidence found in his home—including the firearms, ammunition, and marijuana—arguing that the trash pull did not provide probable cause for the search. The district court granted defendant’s motion, and the government now appeals. For the reasons that follow, we affirm the district court.

The conclusion;

Leon’s standard is ultimately an “objective” one. Id. at 70. And objectively speaking, what transpired here is not acceptable. What we have before us is a flimsy trash pull that produced scant evidence of a marginal offense but that nonetheless served to justify the indiscriminate rummaging through a household. Law enforcement can do better. The judgment is AFFIRMED

They can do better, huh?  Who signed the warrant and why in toto?

The magistrate judge, however, granted a warrant to search defendant’s home in toto. The warrant provided broad permissions to search the home and “any and all persons suspected to be involved in said illegal activities.” J.A. 28. It authorized the police to seize essentially anything in the home, including cell phones, jewelry, records, diaries, and firearms. The police subsequently found four handguns, ammunition, marijuana, and drug paraphernalia in defendant’s house.

Also this little sort of related tidbit;

The Supreme Court held in California v. Greenwood that law enforcement may search trash left at the curb without a search warrant. 486 U.S. 35, 39-43 (1988).

I didn't get the memo.

Here’s a really entertaining tweet in which Malcolm Gladwell, friend of the tobacco industry, gets clobbered in the responses.

3 hours ago, jbhappy said:

then why am I still paying $30 for a chocolate bar?

Isn't MA a legal pot state?

You could be getting ripped off.  😞

19 hours ago, screwball said:

Isn't MA a legal pot state?

You could be getting ripped off.  😞

I'm in Portland, OR. I buy from dispensaries.

2 hours ago, jbhappy said:

I'm in Portland, OR. I buy from dispensaries.

My bad, I thought I was responding to someone else.

I was out there about a year ago. Wow!  Pot shops everywhere. Now they have too much.

We need some interstate commerce. 🙂

You know, our state sure is dragging it's feet when it comes to legal weed, isn't it?     

It's not like they ever go against the will of the voters or anything.............

6 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You know, our state sure is dragging it's feet when it comes to legal weed, isn't it?     

It's not like they ever go against the will of the voters or anything.............

Given the political makeup of most of Michigan's state and local government, it's not surprising.

3 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Given the political makeup of most of Michigan's state and local government, it's not surprising.

That's fine and dandy but it's the ******* law, man.  I don't care what the politicians like or don't like.  The people have spoken.   

I don't live in Michigan so I probably shouldn't comment; but when has what "we" want mattered?

1 hour ago, screwball said:

I don't live in Michigan so I probably shouldn't comment; but when has what "we" want mattered?

I don't work in Ohio anymore, but I did for about 8 yrs. Maybe things have changed for the worse, but the political difference between Ohio and MI that I saw is that the Ohio GOP retained its sanity longer than the MI GOP did. The early 200X's the GOP was running Ohio but they were doing what they were supposed to be doing. They were building new schools all around the Toledo area, fixing roads - basically taking care of the 'make the trains run on-time stuff'. In MI, once the Milliken wing of the GOP lost control, it was taken over the by evangelicals and funded by the rich mercantilists like DeVoss. That is a deadly combination. All they ever want to do is cut taxes to zero and make the state another Mississippi - screw health, screw education (which MI did quite well at on time), screw infrastructure, screw higher ed (which amazingly Mi still does well in spite of Lansing). *Everything* was to be sacrificed on the alter of cutting the tax bills for the DeVoss' and their buds, and they got the evangelicals and Stars&Bars crowds on board as the voter blocks on the basis of same cultural reactionary stuff as the national GOP. The current Mi GOP is now in full fascism mode trying every way they can to nullify recent voter approved initiatives.

and then the Dem gov we did have in the period was worthless. Basically MI has been worse.

• Like 1

Isn't it fun when we can debate who is the ugliest pig? 🙂

I despise all these creeps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 6/8/2019 at 5:05 PM, screwball said:

My bad, I thought I was responding to someone else.

I was out there about a year ago. Wow!  Pot shops everywhere. Now they have too much.

We need some interstate commerce. 🙂

I'm sure pot shops outnumber liquor stores out here.  The state has more rigid control of booze than they do pot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, apabruce said:

I'm sure pot shops outnumber liquor stores out here.  The state has more rigid control of booze than they do pot.

From Portland airport to Scappose (where I stayed) I saw at least 6 of them.  Some right along the main highway (with the little green cross on full display), and some on the other streets we traveled.  Really amazing thing to see as someone from Ohio.

The one in Scappose had a liquor store right beside the pot shop.  Nice and convenient, and a very nice little shop.  It was cheap too.  I couldn't believe the price difference between there and here (so I'm told).

85 an ounce there, to 300 here, for what I would call an equivalent product.  It was really a bizarre experience for this old Ohio hippy. 🙂

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 6:15 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

That's fine and dandy but it's the ******* law, man.  I don't care what the politicians like or don't like.  The people have spoken.   

I ask this of you as a man on your side on this one:

So what?