Motor City Sonics

So, who's running in 2016?

Democrats

Hilary Clinton (Secretary Of State) - If she runs, forget it, it won't be a contest on that side

Brian Schweitzer (Governor of Montana) - A dark horse now, but he's very popular in a Republican state and could win some weaker red states - and he is a FANTASTIC speaker.

Andrew Cuomo (Governor Of New York) - New York Governors have an automatic high profile and he is not shy about being liberal, which might not hurt him as much as you think.

Martin O'Malley (Governor Of Maryland) - Not a high profile yet, but trust me on this, you are going to see a lot of Martin O'Malley making the Sunday Morning talk show circuit in the next two years.

Others to watch will be Jim Webb, Virginia Senator Mark Warner, Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar and Colorado Senator Mike Bennett.

I don't think Joe Biden will run. I think it's too early for Elizabeth Warren or Cory Booker (who will need a term as New Jersey Governor first).

The Republican side.

Marco Rubio (Senator from Florida)- He is the rising star of the party. He's good looking, young, a great speaker and strongly conservative but not Tea Party crazy. He could cut the Democratic's new stranglehold on the Latino vote which is traditionally a conservative block. He's the Republican version of Obama as far as rock-star goes.

Condoleezza Rice (ex-Secretary Of State). I am not sure she will run, but she could swing some blue states red. I think she'd have to run for Governor somewhere first, and I think that takes her out of 2016, but not 2020 or 2024, but we could see an outside shot of Hilary Clinton vs. Condi Rice

Sarah Palin (ex-Governor of Alaska)- The Tea Party will get 100% behind her and it will be enough to keep her in the race for a long time. But the Tea Party, loud as they are, will turn off more people than they bring in.

Bob McDonnell - (Virginia Governor). His national profile has risen sharply recently and has no lack of conservative credentials, but he's a bit of a bore, and that doesn't work so well anymore. He'd be a stronger VP candidate.

Bobby Jindal (Louisiana Governor) - He needs to sharply raise his national profile, but he might not be able to outshine Rubio.

Dan Lungren (Congressman from California) - The conservatives love him, but he wouldn't be able to even carry California, thus dooming him, but I think he'll make a run at it

Chris Christie (Governor New Jersey) - A lot of Republicans will blame him for Romney's loss, but he's always been the kind of candidate that says what's on his mind, whether you like it or not and the Republicans may need that. And he has four years to patch up hurt feelings.

I don't think Jeb Bush will run.

Rand Paul will run most likely.

Yeah, but he'll be in the periphery like his dad. He'll get more votes than his dad, but will serve the same purpose.....to keep their argument going.

Don't see another GOP president. Doesn't matter who runs.

Never say never. It's politics. I am sure when George Bush absolutely facewashed Dukakis, many Democrats felt the same way. Rubio is a star, if he cuts the Democratic Latino vote in half he wins, and trust me, I don't mean to sound racist at all, but when people see one of their own finally getting a real shot, they respond, Rubio could lose the Latino vote, but take enough of it away to beat a Democrat. Plus the rhetoric from Rubio with the Latino vote won't be so negative and that would be sincere. The key for the Republicans is to distance themselves from the Tea Party, and they need to do it fairly quickly. The Tea Party will have their districts they will keep carrying, but it just doesn't work statewide. They may be louder, but they inspire more Democrats to vote and turn more independents away. The rape guys Akin and Mourdock were locks to win before they went and said their stupid ****. They hurt Romney in this way - they didn't cost Romney Missouri and Indiana, but they inspired a lot of tepid Obama supporters to get out and vote in other states.

Unless Marco Rubio ruins his chances in the next 4+ years he will be a player.

He's pretty savvy, but I am sure some mistakes in his past personal life will come up, and I am sure as the electorate continues to get a little more technically savvy themselves, they won't hold too many things against him unless they are really, really bad.

Don't see another GOP president. Doesn't matter who runs.

I think that depends mostly on what being a republican in 2016 is going to mean. Don't think that will be clear for a while.

I think that depends mostly on what being a republican in 2016 is going to mean. Don't think that will be clear for a while.
Definitely needs to define intent, purpose and course. I should add cooperation.

Ryan, Rubio and Christie are the current top tier names on the GOP side.

Ryan or Rubio would be smart to lead some sort of immigration reform compromise on the hill. Shoring up support with hispanics needs to be the GOPs primary focus the next 4 years.

I'd currently give Ryan and Rubio a 20% chance of the nomination. Christie 10%, and the field 50%. Christie's appearance is a major liability, and his attitude will probably turn off female voters. A tea party darkhorse could pull the favorites to the right and ruin the GOP's chances in the general election (again). The favorites will need to be careful not to appease the GOP electorate on issues, especially immigration. Romney failed to walk that tightrope during the primaries, and it probably cost him Colorado and Florida.

I don't think there are going to be huge changes outside of appealing to hispanics, and maybe most candidates approving of abortion in the case of rape and incest. They're still going to position themselves as the small government/low taxes party. They'll still be a socially conservative party, just maybe a little bit less so.

Christie is dead to the GOP

Four years is a long time.

I don't think Ryan is even close. The only two times in my life time the VP of a losing ticket has run for President was Walter Mondale and Robert Dole - and they both got defeated resoundingly. Mondale had the advantage of actually having been the Vice President (if you want to call that an advantage, but it is visibility) and Dole has a very high national profile. I think Ryan needs to either move up to the Senate or needs to run and win a term as Governor of Wisconsin before he makes that leap. His name recognition is a good and bad thing. Good because we know who he is and what he looks like now, but bad because he has the Ryan plan tied to him and for as many people that like it, there is more than one person that hates it. I think the Ryan pick hurt Romney more than it helped him. Romney should have picked Pawlenty.

If the GOP thinks he can win in 2016, all will be forgiven.

Dolchstoßlegende

I don't think there are going to be huge changes outside of appealing to hispanics, and maybe most candidates approving of abortion in the case of rape and incest. They're still going to position themselves as the small government/low taxes party. They'll still be a socially conservative party, just maybe a little bit less so.

It really depends on how angry the electorate is at the incumbent party. If the economy is worse than it is now, then a Republican is likely to win. McCain did not have a chance to win last time, it wasn't the Rock Star appeal of Obama, it was the albatross of George W. Bush in the same party. When the banks started collapsing, McCain didn't handle it well, but he could not outbid the anger directed at his party. I do think you are right about them having to change their views a bit, they seemed to be locked in a 1950s mentality. and THEY NEED TO DISTANCE THEMSELVES FROM THE TEA PARTY. They have to embrace gay rights, not gay marriage, but gay rights. There are more and more people in this country that have accepted gays and the Republicans need to recognize that. They need to appeal to the Latino conservatives who they have insulted and other than having a Latino nominee, that will take more than one election cycle. They also have to be more respectful of women. What was abundantly clear last night is that white men are no longer the majority of the electorate and it certainly seems that is the only place Republicans have an advantage, and in the Presidential polls, it's only 7%.

Barack Obama was extremely beatable, especially after the egg he laid in the first debate. Romney would not give details on what he would do and that hurt him. Romney too quickly changed positions and looked ridiculous in his handling of the FEMA question just last week...and I think the blatant lie about Jeep moving "ALL" production to China was enough for him to lose Ohio. The Republicans did not run a good candidate in this primary season or election.

Democrats

Hilary Clinton (Secretary Of State) - If she runs, forget it, it won't be a contest on that side

Brian Schweitzer (Governor of Montana) - A dark horse now, but he's very popular in a Republican state and could win some weaker red states - and he is a FANTASTIC speaker.

Andrew Cuomo (Governor Of New York) - New York Governors have an automatic high profile and he is not shy about being liberal, which might not hurt him as much as you think.

Martin O'Malley (Governor Of Maryland) - Not a high profile yet, but trust me on this, you are going to see a lot of Martin O'Malley making the Sunday Morning talk show circuit in the next two years.

Others to watch will be Jim Webb, Virginia Senator Mark Warner, Minnesota Senator Amy Klobuchar and Colorado Senator Mike Bennett.

I don't think Joe Biden will run. I think it's too early for Elizabeth Warren or Cory Booker (who will need a term as New Jersey Governor first).

The Republican side.

Marco Rubio (Senator from Florida)- He is the rising star of the party. He's good looking, young, a great speaker and strongly conservative but not Tea Party crazy. He could cut the Democratic's new stranglehold on the Latino vote which is traditionally a conservative block. He's the Republican version of Obama as far as rock-star goes.

Condoleezza Rice (ex-Secretary Of State). I am not sure she will run, but she could swing some blue states red. I think she'd have to run for Governor somewhere first, and I think that takes her out of 2016, but not 2020 or 2024, but we could see an outside shot of Hilary Clinton vs. Condi Rice

Sarah Palin (ex-Governor of Alaska)- The Tea Party will get 100% behind her and it will be enough to keep her in the race for a long time. But the Tea Party, loud as they are, will turn off more people than they bring in.

Bob McDonnell - (Virginia Governor). His national profile has risen sharply recently and has no lack of conservative credentials, but he's a bit of a bore, and that doesn't work so well anymore. He'd be a stronger VP candidate.

Bobby Jindal (Louisiana Governor) - He needs to sharply raise his national profile, but he might not be able to outshine Rubio.

Dan Lungren (Congressman from California) - The conservatives love him, but he wouldn't be able to even carry California, thus dooming him, but I think he'll make a run at it

Chris Christie (Governor New Jersey) - A lot of Republicans will blame him for Romney's loss, but he's always been the kind of candidate that says what's on his mind, whether you like it or not and the Republicans may need that. And he has four years to patch up hurt feelings.

Jeb Bush will absolutely run. But I hope he doesn't.

There isn't a single constitional conservative on yhat list of GOP candidates. None of those people can win a general election so what's the point with running? They are just going to embarrass themselves like McCain and Romney.

It really depends on how angry the electorate is at the incumbent party. If the economy is worse than it is now, then a Republican is likely to win. McCain did not have a chance to win last time, it wasn't the Rock Star appeal of Obama, it was the albatross of George W. Bush in the same party. When the banks started collapsing, McCain didn't handle it well, but he could not outbid the anger directed at his party. I do think you are right about them having to change their views a bit, they seemed to be locked in a 1950s mentality. and THEY NEED TO DISTANCE THEMSELVES FROM THE TEA PARTY. They have to embrace gay rights, not gay marriage, but gay rights. There are more and more people in this country that have accepted gays and the Republicans need to recognize that. They need to appeal to the Latino conservatives who they have insulted and other than having a Latino nominee, that will take more than one election cycle. They also have to be more respectful of women. What was abundantly clear last night is that white men are no longer the majority of the electorate and it certainly seems that is the only place Republicans have an advantage, and in the Presidential polls, it's only 7%.

Barack Obama was extremely beatable, especially after the egg he laid in the first debate. Romney would not give details on what he would do and that hurt him. Romney too quickly changed positions and looked ridiculous in his handling of the FEMA question just last week...and I think the blatant lie about Jeep moving "ALL" production to China was enough for him to lose Ohio. The Republicans did not run a good candidate in this primary season or election.

I didn't see anyone in the primary who had a chance of beating Obama. Huntsman appeared to be the only guy who was moderate enough to be flip moderates or people on the fence, but the GOP would never elect him.

Christie is dead to the GOP

Neocons are dead to the GOP. If they aren't expect history to repeat in 2016.

The GOP better change its rhetoric about Islam, homosexuality, immigration, women and class if they want to win next time around. This country is changing, and the old way of business is no longer going to get the GOP elections.

Democrats

The Republican side.

Lungren might not even win his own House seat... he's currently losing.