TheCouga

2012-13 Offseason Discussion

When organizations ranked their top 20 prospects earlier this year he was not on the list e is not highly touted

Also, anyone wanna discuss a Torri Hunter deal with incentives?

I would imagine he's out of our price range, especially if we keep Sanchez. I like him though.

I'd probably let Sanchez walk and look into signing a gamble type as a 5th/6th starter. Dice K, Jorge De la Rosa,Pavano,Oswalt or someone of the like.

I think the Sanchez resigning is easy, throw Delmon and Valverde's money at him and it should get it done. Illitch isn't worried about an extra 20 million a year at this stage in life, his kids will do just fine with what he leaves them

First of all, there's only one way Dombrowski and Leyland are shitcanned for the crime of taking the team to the ALCS twice in a row and to the World Series this year only to lose, and that is Mike Ilitch. I don't see Mike Ilitch firing them. So they are both coming back.

My basic thoughts are this:

• The Tigers might be willing to meet Sanchez's price, which I am guessing is 5/70 at minimum, but I don't think Sanchez really wants to come back, so I think discussions with him are going to be short. Either he's in or out. We'll know by the first college football bowl game.
  • Peralta's option gets picked up because he is easily a $6 million man. Advanced defensive metrics show his fielding has improved each of the last two years, plus he had high profile offensive and defensive accomplishments in the postseason. The Tigers like him. He's back.
  • Santiago stays because of the perception of his versatility plus his guaranteed $2.1MM for 13. I know he's terrible, but I think the Tigers will perceive he has sufficient value to retain. (I'm a little wobbly on this prediction because he played hardly at all in the Series.)
  • Laird remains the caddy for Avila because he had a decent year and he'll be cheap for a one year deal ~$1.5MM.
  • Garcia will be given a chance to win the RF job in spring, and will be sent down to play every day if he doesn't.
  • Infante heals and is back starting at 2B.
  • We explore an OF option who can play our big LF. I don't know who that might be, but they might take a shot at Melky Cabrera, who will probably be mighty cheap. If they fail to get someone they really like, they will give Castellanos a chance to win the job out of spring training, and if not plug in Dirks.
  • They will explore trades involving either Porcello or Smyly, but not both, for LF help or bench depth. They will give long looks to Andy Oliver, Casey Crosby and Duane Below for #5, although it's entirely possible none of them will win it.
  • A spot on the roster will be Bruce Rondon's to lose.
  • Don Kelly stays on the team as 25th man.
  • Gone: Valverde, Raburn, Boesch, Young, Berry.

Wild card possibility: Delmon Young gets re-signed for 1 year/$7MM for FT LF.

When organizations ranked their top 20 prospects earlier this year he was not on the list e is not highly touted

Also, anyone wanna discuss a Torri Hunter deal with incentives?

I think Torii will be kind of expensive even given his age (37), because his BABIP of .389 helped him to a better offensive season than he is likely to reproduce. He can still cover LF though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sanchez commanded around $12MM/year. With Scherzer and Fister set to earn more through arbitration, I'd rather go with the cheaper Porcello/Smyly.

As people continually forget on here, Porcello is still very young, and has been improving, albeit slightly, every year. I also think Smyly is good enough to be a #4 starter next year. This team's salary structure is already top-heavy enough with Cabrera, Fielder, Verlander and Martinez signed for at least two more years.

There are plenty of much bigger holes where I would rather spend that money, especially middle-infielder. Peralta and Infante could be easily upgraded, and both are gone after 2013. And we have no MI prospects. So we need two long-term solutions at MI, and two short-term solutions at corner OF (biding time for Garcia and Castellanos). We also need a better bench and a closer. Only until those holes are filled would I fork over the kind of dough Sanchez will be looking for.

Isn't a Sanchez resigning "free," in the sense that they don't give up a #1 draft choice for him? I assume a Torii Hunter would involve loss of a draft choice? That may not mean he signs with the Tigers, but that should make the Tigers a little more eager to sign him.

I am one of the biggest slappies you will see, but I never expected a WS out of them this year....not seriously anyway. I hoped for it of course, but I didn't rationally think they would make it.

I had huge expectations for this team before the season started, but once we got beyond that period and saw "what they were" I really thought anything from a couple games below .500 to maybe eight games above .500 seemed like a likely projection. By mid-May it was apparent that the offense was never going to be what many of us (including myself) was going to be and that this team seriously lacked even reasonable journeyman players at many starting positions and/or on their bench. It was a team with so many holes it wasn't funny.

Honestly, I am flat out amazed this team made it to the World Series. But even that said, if our pitching staff didn't collectively become 1968 Bob Gibson for the opening two rounds of the playoffs, the Tigers wouldn't have gotten this far.

Gosh, for most of the season you felt like you were playing with a lineup just waiting for one of three bats to get up to the plate. If they didn't you flat out could leave to clean some dishes or something.

I don't see any reason not to go with Dirks as one outfield spot, we just watched a team beat us in the world series with 2 of those type guys in the outfield.

Pagan .288/.338/.778

Blanco .244/.333/.676

Dirks .293/.340/.794 (2 year career)

These are the guys you win with, we've spent the better part of 8 years trying to sign someone elses castoffs to man our corner outfields, need to use what we have when it shows itself.

It's funny to me how our guys who hit .240 (Peralta, Avila) get nothing but trashed on this board, but other teams .240 guys kill us with diving catches

I wouldn't mind looking at a SS, whether Rutledge, one of the guys out of Cincinatti, Yunel Escobar, JJ Hardy or someone else. However, I am not near as against bringing Peralta back as some. I think his D is underrated and his O is pretty solid for the most part. He finsihed under a 700 OPS, but his 400 something September really sunk the average and paints an inaccurate pitcher. Something was clearly off with him and he seemed to have righted it by the playoffs. He was a mid 700s guy from May through August.

People overrate what Porcello is going to bring back and I don't think signing Sanchez is realistic. The one caveat to that is, Illitch may just keep firing money at the problem until we get one. We got so close and he wants one soon.

I'm excited about Garcia and Castellanos, but they aren't quite ready and you don't bring them up to use as platoon guys.

We need an OF or 2 who can get on base and play D. However, we just as badly need guys who can hit lefties. That is the one area dumping Delmon(and I am not saying we shouldn't, we definitely have to) hurts us in. Hopefully we sign a guy like Shoppach and I'm still in favor of looking at Soriano for LF. Other than that, get a lefty batting practice pitcher I guess!

I wouldn't add anything to the bullpen. Hopefully Coke can be something between his regular seaosn performance and his postseason performance. I like Downs as a second lefty and we have good depth with Villareal,Dotel(easy pick up on the option),Benoit(I still believe in him, the stuff is there),AA,Marte and Rondon. I don't even hate Putkonen like others do. I think he has potential.

Peralta has poor range, if he's not hitting he doesn't have much value and he didn't hit well.

Pocello's greatest value might come from a trade. Someone suggested closer/reliever, who knows. Might be worth a try.

I would take Shoppach over Laird but neither excite me. I like Soriano's bat, not sure he could handle the OF. If you get him cheap enough. If you can deal with DY, I don't think Soriano would be that bad.

Edited by tater6

What are the chances of the Braves not re-signing Michael Bourn? I can't see why they wouldn't, but I'd love to see that guy on our roster batting second. He is currently a FA, but the Braves have the exclusive five-day negotiating window.

Peralta has poor range, if he's not hitting he's does have much value and he didn't hit well.

Pocello's greatest value might come from a trade. Someone suggested closer/reliever, who knows. Might be worth a try.

I would take Shoppach over Laird but neither excite me. I like Soriano's bat, not sure he could handle the OF. If you get him cheap enough. If you can deal with DY, I don't think Soriano would be that bad.

Peralta's not optimal, but there's not too many SS out there that would be. Andrus would cost us an arm and a leg. And mostly everyone else available sucks. 6MM on a one-year deal is pretty risk-free. And you can pretty much guarantee that Peralta will give you solid hitting performance with some upside. They absolutely have to exercise his option. Whether they trade him after that is a different question, and one I would be open to considering. But Peralta at the cost of his option only adds value, so I hope it gets exercised.

why would we want Bourn to bat second and get the stop sign to steal? Unless we have a new manager, I can see signing a guy who's biggest value comes in speed and steals and leaving him cemented at first base every time he gets on

That may have been one I forgot to change. Probably more like a 4 year deal 10 per. I also did not know that Dotel had an option on his contract.

I was thinking 4 @ 10 was a possibility at the end of the regular season. 5 at 12 might be a minimum and we need to see how the Yankee's react this offseason. If they believe they are still bloated and don't want to spend money again, maybe contract costs come back down to what i'd like to see the Tigers spend for him.

why would we want Bourn to bat second and get the stop sign to steal? Unless we have a new manager, I can see signing a guy who's biggest value comes in speed and steals and leaving him cemented at first base every time he gets on

Why give him the stop sign? Cabrera's great at hitting singles, too. Steal second, single to right, drive him in.

Peralta's not optimal, but there's not too many SS out there that would be. Andrus would cost us an arm and a leg. And mostly everyone else available sucks. 6MM on a one-year deal is pretty risk-free. And you can pretty much guarantee that Peralta will give you solid hitting performance with some upside. They absolutely have to exercise his option. Whether they trade him after that is a different question, and one I would be open to considering. But Peralta at the cost of his option only adds value, so I hope it gets exercised.

Leyland likes him so if Leyland is back so it Peralta, I just don't think he's a solid hitting type player. They keep him because he's cheap and got experience. Leyland's kind of guy. Keeping players like this will keep them from winning the WS.

Hmmm...I didn't see this:

Tigers Notes: Sanchez, Valverde, Leyland: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

GM Dave Dombrowski has said re-signing the right-hander is a priority for the Tigers this winter.

Read more at MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

It looks like they are going to try and re-sign him. In this case, I hope they try and deal Porcello. I think Smyly is a better fit for this team, given his K rate (with our defense, that becomes more important), contract status, and the fact that he's a lefty.

Keeping players like this will keep them from winning the WS.

That's not what stopped us this year. In fact, Peralta hit better than almost everyone else in the playoffs.

BJ Upton is also available. I'd like to see us trade for Justin Upton, though. He had a bad year, but I think his value is low enough now that we might get a deal on him. We'd have to give up Castellanos or Garcia, plus another decent prospect. But I would do that at this point.

Wild card possibility: Delmon Young gets re-signed for 1 year/$7MM for FT LF.

Why kick us all in the groin when we're already down? Did you not realize that we were just swept in the WS last night?

I was thinking 4 @ 10 was a possibility at the end of the regular season. 5 at 12 might be a minimum and we need to see how the Yankee's react this offseason. If they believe they are still bloated and don't want to spend money again, maybe contract costs come back down to what i'd like to see the Tigers spend for him.

Sanchez will be a top target of many teams this winter, perhaps above Greinke for many teams. I'd be surprised if he doesn't see an offer of 5/$75 million, and he will probably go for more. What front end SP signs for less than $15 million per year?

The good news is that we don't have to make too many moves to contend again next year. With Victor coming back, Infante settling in, and a veteran corner outfielder to be picked up... I can't see getting a negative WAR out of LF/DH/2B next year.

In terms of pitching, the first order of business should be securing Dirty Sanchez or someone of similar value - I don't want to see money shelled out on the bullpen unless it is being shelled out everywhere else first.

When it comes to our lack of bench depth, well, we have those guys already... It's just that we had to start them for too much of the season.

I'm excited to see what happens between Garcia and Boesch and Castellanos.

Can't wait until pitchers and catchers report!

Dan Haren might be a nice fall back from Sanchez, if the Angels do buy-out his contract. Though I would be a little surprised to see them do that, but I have heard some rumblings about it.