TheCouga

2012-13 Offseason Discussion

Don't forget, the league is also dying due to dropping tv ratings at the same time that teams are getting insane record tv deals

Yeah, the escalating salaries will be the death of the league unless they find some new revenue source to cover those costs.

Pretty sure Pyro was being sarcastic. But then maybe you were too?

Buster Olney tweeted at big news about 15 minutes ago.

about 5 minutes ago, so did Verlander.

huge JV extension?

Buster Olney tweeted there are "rumblings of something big" and Verlander just tweeted that "today is going to be a great day. Big news coming."

Do we have our first $200 million pitcher??

5 year extension. Good deal regardless of the dollars.

Signed through 2019 with option for 2020. Love it! Could be upwards of $200 mill.

Wells designated for assignment by Mariners. Are Tigers interested or content with Tupioso ?

I'd love to get Wells, I think he would be as close to a perfect fit or us as you can get. Despite playing in one of the worst hitting parks in baseball he still managed a .900 OPS against lefties last year. On top of that he plays quality defense. He would be the perfect platoon partner for Dirks.

I'd love to get Wells, I think he would be as close to a perfect fit or us as you can get. Despite playing in one of the worst hitting parks in baseball he still managed a .900 OPS against lefties last year. On top of that he plays quality defense. He would be the perfect platoon partner for Dirks.

Agree. Would love to see this happen.

Rangers-Astros at 8pm (Eastern) tonight to kick off the 2013 season. We are now down the last three hours and fifteen seconds of the offseason!

Wells designated for assignment by Mariners. Are Tigers interested or content with Tupioso ?

Fantastic news. This almost seems too obvious to not happen.

Larry Stone ‏@StoneLarry

FYI, if Wells clears weavers, he cannot choose to become a free agent. Not enough service time, and hasn't been DFA'd before.

Does this mean he can be claimed by any team? Does an acceptable trade need to be worked out? Would love to see him as a Tiger but perhaps a team with a higher waiver claim (if this is indeed how it works) like FLA or Houston will scoop him up first?

Guess this answers some of the above. Seattle won't release him, so DD will need to make a deal.

Mariners Designate Casper Wells For Assignment

By Edward Creech [March 31 at 3:07pm CST]

The Mariners have designated outfielder Casper Wells for assignment, tweets Greg Johns of MLB.com. The Mariners now have ten days to either trade, release, or outright Wells to the minors. The roster move means Jason Bay has made the team. The Mariners filled the open 40-man roster spot by selecting the contract of right-hander D.J. Mitchell, who was then optioned to Triple-A, according to Shannon Drayer of ESPN Radio Seattle (via Twitter).

Interesting that Seattle added a guy to the 40-man, then optioned him. I think you usually would see someone first added to the 40-man when they are initially called up. Unless it is during the winter, and a procedural addition to protect the player from the Rule 5 draft. It's kind of an unusual move, I wish we got more back story on that.

Wells will certainly be traded. I doubt it would be to the Tigers, as I don't think they will move to designate Tui or Kelly just days after they made the team. That's not a Tigers or DD type of move.

Wells claimed by the Blue Jays. Can we officially call the Casper Wells - Tigers reunion dead?