roarintiger1

World Series Roster

A decision will have to be made about Valverde. If Leyland determines he can't be trusted and can't use him, rather than have a dead roster spot they could activate Villarreal or Downs.

I would think Worth gets dropped for an extra bullpen arm. He won't drop Santiago out of loyalty and Kelly can play OF in a pinch.

I wouldn't mind the Tigers taking a look at Brett Gardner in a year or two.......

Kelly is a lock for the roster. His position flexibility plays big in the games in the NL park.

How many pitchers do you think they need?

I could see them wanting another lefty - maybe. The Yankees had 2 SH starters, the Birds only one, so you might actually have more opportunity/desire to do L/R pitching matchups than against the Yankees. Plus the way the cards or hitting they might chase more guys off the mound than the Yankees were able to.

Of course I also thought another LH arm would be more useful than Ramon before the NY series and it didn't happen.

Gotta think one of Kelly, Worth or Santiago gets dropped for another pitcher, right? Maybe two of them?

With the need to make double switches at times (potentially) Kelly carries some value as he can adequately cover various positions.

Valverde won't be off the roster.

That is frustrating.

Oh well, I'm still extremely excited the tigers are in the world series.

With the need to make double switches at times (potentially) Kelly carries some value as he can adequately cover various positions.

+1

How many pitchers do you think they need?

Well knowing that Leyland likes to slightly over-manage the bullpen and get as much production out of the lineup as possible, I could see an abundance of bullpen arms being needed for those games in St. Louis. I'm sure I'm not the only one who can imagine him having a starter do very well for five innings, come up to bat in the top of the 6th, get pulled for a PH, then use different pitchers for the bottom 6th and bottom 7th, pinch-hit again in the top of the 8th, new pitcher for bottom 8th and bottom 9th.

Probably sounds like a ridiculous assumption to make, but something of that ilk is what I envision happening. I don't think there's any way Leyland will let a pitcher bat past the 6th inning or so, unless it's a sacrifice situation, no matter how well he is pitching.

Even if they keep Valverde and he never pitches they have six relievers, two of them starters who can throw multiple innings. They have starters going deep into games. An extra bench player seems a lot more valuable to me than a guy who will probably never pitch. Al Alburquerque didn't throw a pitch in the LCS. Valverde threw 2/3 ip. Benoit 2/3 ip.

They can barely use the guys they have now.

Even if they keep Valverde and he never pitches they have six relievers, two of them starters who can throw multiple innings. They have starters going deep into games. An extra bench player seems a lot more valuable to me than a guy who will probably never pitch. Al Alburquerque didn't throw a pitch in the LCS. Valverde threw 2/3 ip. Benoit 2/3 ip.

They can barely use the guys they have now.

I doubt the Cardinals are going to be as inept on offense as the Yankees just were. Yes, the Tigers were the benefits of great starting pitching, but the Yankees really were lost all throughout the lineup in each of the four games. I don't think the Tigers are going to be throwing up a 1.02 ERA from their starters for the World Series.

Leyland will keep Valvere on the roster out of loyalty. If anything I think they'll drop a position player and bring up a pitcher.

I heard Ryan Raburn is healthy and ready for a return.:silly:

I had totally forgotten about Raburn until this, lol. I wonder if he'll be brought back next year?

Not only will Valverde be on the roster, you can expect to see him depending on match-up in the 9th inning. Per Leyland on Mike and Mike in the Morning today.

Keep things as is.

I don't think there will be any changes to the roster. I'm 99.9% certain they aren't dropping Valverde and they have enough pitchers even if he ends up as a mop-up man.