hail2mich

GDT: Michigan State at #23 Michigan 10/20/2012

For some reason I can't get excited about the win. From the parts I saw it was played worse than a middle school game.

Not sure I like Gibbons here.

I was worried too, but he won me over in the Sugar Bowl. He has the experience.

Brunette girls.

That's funny.

Looked for the world like this was not going to go UM's way. The lost fumble, the fake punt, that impossible catch by Fowler but they somehow found a way. What's the Dileo?

For some reason I can't get excited about the win. From the parts I saw it was played worse than a middle school game.

I thought the defense played lights out. My only complaint with the offense is that it almost seems that Borges has dialed back from the pass happy Alabama offense maybe a bit too far. Would like to see a couple more down field opportunities for Funchess and Gardner.

I thought the defense played lights out. My only complaint with the offense is that it almost seems that Borges has dialed back from the pass happy Alabama offense maybe a bit too far. Would like to see a couple more down field opportunities for Funchess and Gardner.

Yes, but- Demard's judgment seems so deficient this year I can understand why the dial is where it is!

Nice win. State always plays its best game against Michigan.

900 wins. Suck it Notre Dame.

The playcalling was pretty predictable throughout. I know having a QB like Denard makes it tough to run an offense, but it seemed so conservative.

The defense was awesome today holding Bell to 68 yards on 26 carries. Very impressed. Imagine the defense UM will have in the next few seasons. Could be scary good.

And a small thank you should go out to mark dantonio for running a pass play on 2nd and 10 inside their own 10 yard line. UM only had two timeouts and they could have taken alot more time off the clock. Thanks mark!

Middle school games don't have that kind of defense and hitting. And a close win over a MAC school, or Indiana or something, yeah be upset. A win over a rival, you should be excited. It wasn't played sloppy, both teams just played pretty good defense.

And a small thank you should go out to mark dantonio for running a pass play on 2nd and 10 inside their own 10 yard line. UM only had two timeouts and they could have taken alot more time off the clock. Thanks mark!

Reminded me of Charlie Weis in 2009, who was up by 3 with under three minutes to go and he decided to throw on second and third down. Both were incomplete, and allowed Michigan to get the ball back with two timeouts and enough time to drive for the game winning touchdown. Very similar indeed.

Reminded me of Charlie Weis in 2009, who was up by 3 with under three minutes to go and he decided to throw on second and third down. Both were incomplete, and allowed Michigan to get the ball back with two timeouts and enough time to drive for the game winning touchdown. Very similar indeed.

really. That is why I thought the punt was not a good idea at the time, but Dantonio gave us an extra minute or so for the last drive than we should have had. Considering Denard's mental block about throwing out of bounds to stop the clock, that time would have made all the difference.

It would have been bad enough if MSU had won, but for the Spartans to have won wearing the ugliest helmets in the history of college football would have been unbearable.

Thoughts from the game:

The defense is good. I know MSU doesn't have an offense, but this is just more of a general statement. It's just such a ridiculous change from the Rich Rod years seeing guys like Ryan and Demens flying around the field but actually knowing where to be. And Quinton Washington and William Campbell turning into solid players? Yeah. That's crazy. Or Ramon Taylor (that injury looked nasty...that could be bad news) and JT Floyd getting the job done in the secondary?

If Hoke's recruiting actually measures up to the star ratings and such, think how good that side of the ball will be when he gets more players in. Special teams is much improved too.

Now offense...tough. They obviously wanted to avoid Denard making many mistakes due to how well the defense has been playing which I understand. Denard's unwillingness to scramble continues to be an annoyance, four plays (especially the last play before that last punt) where he probably could have run for a huge gain but decided to throw it deep to no one instead.

As far as playcalling, I thought they did pretty well running the ball given MSU's defense. Denard came awfully close to breaking a couple of touchdown runs if not for good one one one tackles. They also had the big Fitz run, and a Fitz screen pass that would have been a touchdown if not for a great tackle.

My only real issue is with the passing game. Doesn't seem to be much of any deception or stuff to take advantage of MSU's aggressiveness. They threw a few quick slants and such for some yards, but I would have liked to have seen more realistic big play attempts. Maybe the old Denard fake QB Draw pass over the middle, or a few more short passes/screens to guys like Gallon or Norfleet.

Still, they won. And the way the rest of the Big 10 looks they certainly have the ability to end up in the Rose Bowl this year. Big game next week.

edit: Not being prepared for the incredibly predictable Mark Dantonio fake punt was pretty upsetting

Edited by pyrotigers

It would have been bad enough if MSU had won, but for the Spartans to have won wearing the ugliest helmets in the history of college football would have been unbearable.

They looked like Christmas ornaments.

Yes, reminded me of that too. I couldn't believe they did that.

Yeah, what the hell was that play call? That was incredibly stupid. I am trying to teach my girlfriend's 11 year old about football rules and how timeouts and the clock works and how at the end of the game the clock is a factor.(his father is not a sports guy) and I said that what MSU was going to do was run the ball and run the clock down and then they pass it and he said "why did they do that, are you stupid or are they stupid?" MSU used their element of surprise on the fake punt (beautifully, I might add), Michigan was not going to be caught off guard again.

Throwing the ball was the right play, a first down basically ends the game. Otherwise you just have Bell running for 2 yards and a punt.

Of course, it might be a wise move to try to run clock given that Brady Hoke and Michigan in general seem ridiculously bad at any sort of clock management.

Throwing the ball was the right play, a first down basically ends the game. Otherwise you just have Bell running for 2 yards and a punt.

Of course, it might be a wise move to try to run clock given that Brady Hoke and Michigan in general seem ridiculously bad at any sort of clock management.

I believe that is more of a Denard IQ problem, than a coaching problem.

I believe that is more of a Denard IQ problem, than a coaching problem.

After 4 years his inability to recognize when to throw the ball out of bounds is pretty telling.