Sign in to follow this  
Dirk Diggler

DC Sports and Cabrera Article on ESPN.COM

Ridiculous. I love collecting autographs as much as anyone, but this is killing the hobby and makes me lose interest. I guess the hobby is now solely based on making an investment as a collector (a poor one), and not about meeting or connecting with a player you like to watch. I thought it was bad earlier this year when DC Sports was charging +$100 for Cabrera. This is even worse.

I can understand DC Sports's position (and it's not only them), that they are a business and in it for the money, but they certainly have become more greedy in the past couple years if you compare past prices to current ones. For many players, these signings make them less willing to sign at the park. I can guarantee the agents are in their ear about not signing for free. And if they do sign, it's a madhouse because people know the what some of these autographs are selling for.

I can just be thankful for the Bob Fellers of the world, and both the retired/current players who are nice enough to give some time to their fans while not reaching into their pockets. This isn't directed at Cabrera, but more towards the promoters and agents. They are the ones who make me enjoy collecting.

Edited by hail2mich

I'm with ya'. I don't so much mind them charging for a sig and letting the market determine the value, for some people that's the only opportunity they might have to get a signature. My beef is like you alluded too, players habits change drastically once they start cutting these deals. I'm not sure if they change because they see the value of their sig or if they change because their contractually obligated to.

Verlander pretty much shut down signing at all back when he was a DC exclusive and Cabrera slowed down quite a bit too this spring after his first DC signing was announced. I've heard he was only side paneling baseballs lately too (can't personally confirm it), which is unusual for him. Granderson had an exclusive deal with a company for a while when he was here too, couldn't sign certain items, had to personalize baseballs etc. It refreshing to see guys like Fielder come along. Doesn't do shows that I'm aware of and signs so much that there's not a ton of value for those trying to make a buck off of him. Make it nice for the fans. Cabby has been one of the better signers during previous springs, I'm anxious to see how this changes things.

Edited by Dirk Diggler