gzbach

2013 Minor League Transactions

According to the milb.com writeup of the C-Tigers' opening game loss, Brenny Paulino and Ryan Longstreth have been placed on the 60-day DL. I know that for someone on the 40-man roster, going on the 60-day list means they don't count against the 40-man limit. But I don't know what the significance of the 60-day DL is for a minor-leaguer. Does anybody out there know anything?

According to the milb.com writeup of the C-Tigers' opening game loss, Brenny Paulino and Ryan Longstreth have been placed on the 60-day DL. I know that for someone on the 40-man roster, going on the 60-day list means they don't count against the 40-man limit. But I don't know what the significance of the 60-day DL is for a minor-leaguer. Does anybody out there know anything?

Same thing... Each minor league team has reserve limits. I don't know the exact details off hand, but they are in the CBA.

Per the 2008 Rules (which have been modified in other areas since), the reserve list limits are as follows:

AAA: 38

AA: 37

A+, A, SS-A: 35

Rookie: 35

Players on the 60 Day don't count. Guys in full season ball are rarely ever on the 60-day since it's not necessary. With bigger rosters and smaller limits in short season ball, that is probably why you saw that info on Paulino and Longstreth. The AAA and AA limits are primarily used in the offseason for Rule 5 draft protection purposes.

Thanks Edman. Doesn't look good for Brenny and Longstreth.

Didn't Longstreth have TJ surgery in September ?....He may just be going through the normal healing process .

Actually, the fact that they were (apparently) just recently put on the 60-day may not necessarily be as bad as it sounds. Clearly it's crunch time right now with all the new draft signees pushing the reserve limits, so 2 spots get opened up by the move, but both moves are probably retroactive to a lot more than 60 days ago, meaning that if one or both of them was ready to pitch they could be reinstated at any time. Meanwhile there's more room to juggle the new guys.

I don't think that is the player.

Honestly, he's the only one I see moving, unless they need to plug a spot somewhere. Mercedes has pitched lights out so far, maybe a good shot Kyle Ryan may get called too, but those are the only 2 I see moving now, just my opinion though.

I would opt for Ryan, but taking our two SP's who have been more than reliable would hurt the team a lot. I haven't looked at possible openings for position players.

Honestly, he's the only one I see moving, unless they need to plug a spot somewhere. Mercedes has pitched lights out so far, maybe a good shot Kyle Ryan may get called too, but those are the only 2 I see moving now, just my opinion though.

Release Valverde, Reed and Downs

Bring up Ortega, Alburquerque and Rondon Keep Alvarez and send worse performer when Sanchez comes back

Move Startup, Clinard, Hardy to Toledo (Garcia, the pitcher, fills Alvarez spot)

Move Mercedes, Burgos, Ryan to Erie

Move C Smith, Turley, Lopez to Lakeland

Move 3 recent signings to West Mich

I would opt for Ryan, but taking our two SP's who have been more than reliable would hurt the team a lot. I haven't looked at possible openings for position players.

Honestly, I don't see a position player playing well enough to move, Melvin Mercedes has a 3-1 record with an 0.96 ERA, despite blowing his last 2 saves, he's been more then deserving of a promotion. I really think there is a good chance Ryan moves up, you know how we are in Lakeland, expect the unexpected.

OF Connor Harrell assigned to West Michigan. Harrell is @tigers 2013 7th Round pick out of @VandyBaseball. #wcaps

Saw this in Transaction list in Detroit News.....Wichita Wingnuts - sold the contract of RHP Jon Link to Detroit (AL). Wichita is in the Independent , American Association.

I really wonder why some go other places for Tigers news. You can always find it here shortly before or after it is published.

Joe Rogers -- LFT sent to GCL to begin rehab.

Avisail Garcia -- From Toledo to Detroit

Edited by fyrftrjim

Corey Knebel to West Mich from G-Tigers. Ziomek and Kubitza assigned to G-Tigers. Newly signed udfa catcher Chris Taladay to G-Tigers.

By the way, this isn't exactly a transaction, but when I saw infielder Luis Cortez listed as a pitcher on yesterday's GCL roster, I thought it might be a mistake. Not. After Fernando Perez pitched 5 nearly perfect innings this morning, Cortez came in and pitched a perfect 6th with 2 K's.