Sign in to follow this  
Kdoogie24

2012/2013 OHL Thread

There is a good chance we will see a third exceptional status exemption in three years at the OHL draft this summer. Sean Day is a 1998 YOB Canadian born defenseman playing with the 97 Detroit Compuware team. From what I have read he would have no problem jumping into the league, just has to go through the screening process that Hockey Canada and the OHL put forth.

It took a 4 goal effort by Sarnia's Nicolai Goldobin to end the London Knights TWENTY FOUR game win streak.

London was 1 win away from tying the all time CHL record, and would have had a chance to break it on Friday night vs Saginaw.

This team could not be rattled for two months, it was pretty interesting to follow. Their last loss came on November 1st vs Windsor

16 of their 24 had come by 2 goals or less

They were down by 2 goals or more in the 3rd period three times

They were also down by 3 goals three times

They won a record 19 round shootout in Mississauga

Impressive!

Trade deadline has come and gone. Quick recap

Windsor: Rychel did a good job here.

Pros:

- Added OA F Alex Aleardi from Plymouth who can score. Zach Lorentz went back the other way, he wasn't bringing much to the table in Windsor.

- Picked up depth F Remy Giftopolous from Ottawa. Should return as an OA next year.

- This one was big - D Slater Koekkoek from Peterborough. Yzerman drafted him 10th overall last year in TB. Talented offensively, solid defensively but will need work. Should be back with the team next year as its highly unlikely that he will turn pro. two 2nd round picks and Mike Clarke is what it took.

Cons: Didn't like how they traded away Posa their captain for a 4th rounder to Guelph. Its clear this bunch needed a shakeup, but they were already thin on the back end.

Windsor currently sits out of a playoff spot, and it's important that they get in to show that they are a reasonable competitor when bidding for the Memorial Cup. They have selected teams that are "Ok" in the past, but you can't be a pushover and one of the worst teams in the league and expect to get the bid.

London: Added Justin Sefton, big defenseman from Sudbury. Will most likely go pro next year, so this will be a rental. Also picked up Anthony Stolarz, a goalie who decommitted from Nebraska-Omaha and signed with London. Dakota Mermis, a defenseman formerly at uDenver also decommitted and came to London last week.

Vincent Trocheck went from Saginaw to Plymouth.

Tyler Graovac went from Ottawa to Belleville

Cody Ceci went from Ottawa to Owen Sound

Kitchener added Josh Leivo and Frank Corrado from Sudbury

NHL Camps opening really threw a wrench into the deadline, teams were hesitant to acquire guys like Dougie Hamilton and Ryan Strome due to fear of them sticking with their big clubs.

Good night for Sarnia Sting alumni in the NHL last night. Alex Galchenyuk and Nail Yakupov scored their first NHL goals.

Nail decided not to come back to the OHL this season, and is a lock to stay with the Oilers.

There is still a slight chance that Montreal will send Galchenyuk back to Sarnia, but at this point I doubt it.

Elsewhere Dougie Hamilton is logging good minutes in Boston.

Scott Laughton is still in Philly, not too sure if they will send him back to Oshawa.

London hitting a bit of a lull after their 24 game streak. Lost 3 in a row, including one to Windsor in London last Friday.

Windsor has looked awesome since the deadline. Aleardi has been a nice pickup and has really added strength to their top 6. Kerby Rychel is starting to heat up again, and rookie Josh Ho Sang looks more and more comfortable every time I watch. Their only downside has been the injury of the high profile pickup Slater Koekkoek, he is being evaluated in Tampa Bay and may need shoulder surgery.

Gonna head to the AUD in Kitchener for the first time next Friday. Heard its an awesome facility, especially after the renovations this off season.

London hitting a bit of a lull after their 24 game streak. Lost 3 in a row, including one to Windsor in London last Friday.

Windsor has looked awesome since the deadline. Aleardi has been a nice pickup and has really added strength to their top 6. Kerby Rychel is starting to heat up again, and rookie Josh Ho Sang looks more and more comfortable every time I watch. Their only downside has been the injury of the high profile pickup Slater Koekkoek, he is being evaluated in Tampa Bay and may need shoulder surgery.

Gonna head to the AUD in Kitchener for the first time next Friday. Heard its an awesome facility, especially after the renovations this off season.

How was your trip to the Aud? Always one of my favorite buildings to work in back in the day, and my brother has been their US scout for about 5 years now. Nothing but good things to say about the Rangers organization.

I go this friday, Kitchener will play Owen Sound

Thats so cool that your brother is their US scout... They are a team who doesn't hesitate to take flyer picks on Americans - seeing Gibson win Gold this year must have been cool for him. I would love to pick his brain with questions for an hour or two! haha

I go this friday, Kitchener will play Owen Sound

Thats so cool that your brother is their US scout... They are a team who doesn't hesitate to take flyer picks on Americans - seeing Gibson win Gold this year must have been cool for him. I would love to pick his brain with questions for an hour or two! haha

He started working for them the last year Paul Maurice was their coach and they won the Memorial Cup. You should see the big honking ring he got! He's very happy working for an organization that understands what the players needs really are. Makes it easy to convince the kids and parents that Kitchener is a good fit for their future both on and off the ice.

Kitchener Memorial Auditorium... fantastic place to watch a game. Love the old feel with newer amenities. With the addition this summer it fits around 8,000.

Windsor won... Saginaw lost. within 4 pts of a playoff spot now.

Was in Sarnia over the weekend but with the Sting up north in Ottawa and Kingston I didn't get a chance for a game. However, driving from Sarnia to Pearson Sunday afternoon I did pass through the listening area of 3 or 4 OHL broadcast, so that was a good primer.

Boy, tale of 2 seasons for Kingston. And if the Sting gain a couple of points they might once again become the weakest 1st place team since the Denver Broncos.

A couple of the intermission sessions I heard up and down the dial did talk about a ref getting suspended for an "offensive tweet" about Sault Ste. Marie - I didn't think the tweet was that big of a deal .. until I read the hashtags, ha.

I found it hilarious. Understand why he was disciplined... but still found it funny #fatties #slimpickens #noteeth

Mark Scheifele returned to Barrie. May as well give them the Eastern Conference title now

Windsor @ Ottawa was rescheduled from Friday night to Saturday night because of the bad weather.

67s moved to Scotiabank this year because of renovations at the Civic Complex.

The Senators play Winnipeg at 2:00, so that will be a cool doubleheader for area residents. Its also hockey day in Canada

You can close the book on Windsor's playoff chances. They needed to catch Saginaw, and the Spirit just swept their last two games against each other this weekend.

Monday marked 5 years since the Spitfire Captain Mickey Renaud's sudden death.

You can close the book on Windsor's playoff chances. They needed to catch Saginaw, and the Spirit just swept their last two games against each other this weekend.

Monday marked 5 years since the Spitfire Captain Mickey Renaud's sudden death.

The NHL lockout has totally turned me off to hockey this year. Tried following the Spits early on, but soccer took hockey's place this winter. I probably pick up hockey again next fall.

You didn't miss much from Windsor.

Underachieved bigtime until the deadline, then they got Khokhlachev back and acquired Koekkoek Aleardi and Giftopolous, and went 6-0-1... then back in the tank again.

Windsor, London and Barrie are the 3 teams bidding for the Memorial Cup.

Barrie would be 3rd in this race, as they are losing alot of talent and their facility is decent but doesn't compare to London or Windsor.

London brings back the best talent and the committee knows they will be a great host, but is 9 years too soon to return?

Windsor would have been an absolute lock, but the sanctions this summer make things dicey. Does Branch penalize them and then turn around and give them the premier event in the CHL?

Last weekend of the regular season. West spots are all spoken for, Saginaw will face London in the first round. Rest of the seeding is TBD

8th in the East is still being decided, Peterborough is still hanging around.

Ottawa will have the #1 pick and it looks like Sean Day from Detroit Compuware will be granted exceptional status.

Overage forward Charlie Sarault has the league lead at the moment with 104 points (82 assists) and Vincent Trocheck has stayed hot since the WJC, and has 101pts with 5 less GP.

Sarault's linemate Reid Boucher has 62 goals, just an amazing year for the American forward, who set the franchise mark last week - beating Stamkos' total of 58.

Kerby Rychel has worked himself into the top 10 in scoring with the help of post-deadline pickup Alex Khokhlachev. He should go in the middle of the 1st round in June.

Connor McDavid has 63 points with a few left to play, to compare... John Tavares had 45g 32a for 77 in his underage rookie season.

Sarnia lose final four games, finish 7th and face 2nd place Plymouth. This sounds like a terrible matchup for the Sting. It seems everytime I turned around in February the Whalers were defeating the Sting handily (including a blowout in Sarnia by I believe an 8-1 score).

Windsor would have been an absolute lock, but the sanctions this summer make things dicey. Does Branch penalize them and then turn around and give them the premier event in the CHL?

More unpleasant news out of Windsor

CANOE -- SLAM! Sports - Hockey NHL - New Jersey - New Jersey Devils prospect charged with sexual assault

New Jersey Devils prospect Ben Johnson, a forward with the Windsor Spitfires of the OHL, was charged with two counts of sexual assault Monday by Windsor cops.

Johnson, an 18-year-old from Calumet, Mich., was arrested early Monday morning and appeared in provincial court later in the day. Bail was set at $30,000 but he was held overnight.

"Earlier today our organization was made aware of accusations involving a player on our hockey team," the Spitfires said in a statement. "Our organization will allow the legal process to run its due course at this time. The team will have no further comment."

The charges were laid against Johnson in connection with alleged sexual assaults three weeks apart in two different Windsor bars.

The most recent involved a 16-year-old girl, who alleged she was assaulted in the washroom of Mynt nightclub during a combined St. Patrick's Day party and Spitfires end-of-season gathering, sources told the Windsor Star. Later, a 20-year-old woman told police she'd been sexually assaulted in the washroom of The Tilted Kilt three weeks ago.

LOL, 5-1 Plymouth over Sarnia after 1 period of Game 1. Geez louise. Is it possible to win a best of 7 in 2 games?

Jesus, I cannot wait to see Trocheck in a Rampage uniform.

He ended up with 3 goals and 2 assist last night in Plymouth's 11-2 win.

Over in the Q, Wings' top draft pick last year Martin Frk scored 5 goals and 3 assists in a Halifax win last night.

London hardly ever surprises me anymore. Down 2-0 late, they rally and make it 2-1. Then somehow with the net pulled bang in a rebound with 0.3 seconds left to tie the game. Midway through the second overtime they finish off the comeback and take a 2-0 series lead on Saginaw.

Somewhat lost in all that was Wings pick Jake Paterson's 67 saves in what was one of the most impressive displays I have seen in a long time. He was flat out unbeatable for basically this whole game and completely deserved the win. One of my favourite things about playoff hockey is watching goalies just completely steal games.

all the higher seeds moved on except Brampton, who were effectively sent to North Bay by the Sudbury Wolves in 5 games.

Barrie and Belleville will meet in the East final, no surprise on that one. Should be a great series.

Plymouth and Owen Sound have won 2 games a piece, and London came back to beat Kitchener in OT to take game 4 and a 3-1 series lead. I'm thinking the Knights are going to have a ton of trouble with either PLY or OS.