Sandlot

Next New Tiger Manager

funny you should mention that. Sparky often kept certain players on edge deliberately. Likewise LaRussa. Too much ease in any organization is not necessarily the path to the highest performance. Not that I would necessarily want to work in such an org and too much tension can certainly implode an org eventually -- but I think there an argument to be made that at least in the short term (say a season or two) a little properly applied tension/pressure can increase organizational performance.

You bring up a good point. With Leyland's style and status (he's about ready to retire, he's probably set for life, and he's set in his ways), I'm not sure if he's the type to make certain players uncomfortable for their own good. Heck, he might already be doing this and we just aren't aware of it.

Anyone but this sorry excuse for a manager. His game decisions are almost as appalling as his lineups.

Leyland makes me want to break my TV.

Why don't you just make Cabrera sacrifice you stupid old moron.

Anyone but this sorry excuse for a manager. His game decisions are almost as appalling as his lineups.

Leyland makes me want to break my TV.

Why don't you just make Cabrera sacrifice you stupid old moron.

Who'd have thunk that a successful sac bunt by Dirks would have led Chicago to walk Cabrera?

funny you should mention that. Sparky often kept certain players on edge deliberately. Likewise LaRussa. Too much ease in any organization is not necessarily the path to the highest performance. Not that I would necessarily want to work in such an org and too much tension can certainly implode an org eventually -- but I think there an argument to be made that at least in the short term (say a season or two) a little properly applied tension/pressure can increase organizational performance.

Scotty Bowman was a master at that. How many cups did he win?

Answer to Euphdude:

No, they are not kids playing a neigbourhood game and having fun. If they enjoy it, okay; but this should be treated more like warriors going off to do battle with an opponent ---- business!

I don't get why people think Scioscia will leave. Am I missing something there?

I'd love to get Maddon, but not sure he's willing to leave either. We may be able to pay him enough though.

There is zero chance its Mcclendon or Lamont, not sure if those were joke answers or what.

I'd be ok with Francona, though he isn't a huge changeup. I imagine Brookens, Mills, maybe Riggleman(I actually like him quite a bit) and a few of the top bench coaches fill out the list. I don't have a huge problem with any of them.

I really don't want Francona. This means he will be the next manager.

I liked Bruce Fields. I like Brookens. I like Maddon.

I forgot Maddon would be available. Isn't more of a small ball guy though? Our team isn't really built for that

How do you put pressure on guys guaranteed to make millions of dollars a year? Unless it's a young player making close to minimum, I think you pretty much have to leave the motivation up to them.

I don't get why people think Scioscia will leave. Am I missing something there?

I'd love to get Maddon, but not sure he's willing to leave either. We may be able to pay him enough though.

There is zero chance its Mcclendon or Lamont, not sure if those were joke answers or what.

I'd be ok with Francona, though he isn't a huge changeup. I imagine Brookens, Mills, maybe Riggleman(I actually like him quite a bit) and a few of the top bench coaches fill out the list. I don't have a huge problem with any of them.

Scioscia will likely get the ax if the Angels don't make it past the Wild Card game. Even if they make it to the Wild Card game and lose, Artie Moeno's going to want a change.

Maddon will probably leave because Tampa won't pay what he's worth.

Jim Riggleman is probably never gonna get another managing job in the Majors. Not after quitting mid-season. I understand he was unhappy, but he screwed himself long-term.

There can't be a "next new manager" because we already have an "old" manager so does the question imply that the Tigers will hire a new manager soon then immediately fire him and hire the "next new manager"? Inquiring minds want to know!

No on Brookens, definitely not Manager material IMHO.

What in the world do you or anyone else on here know about his ability to manage?

Walbeck or Nevin IMO.

What the Tigers need is a manager who is up to date on modern managing. Hunchy McHunchyson isn't cutting it anymore when the rest of the league has put a major emphasis on stats. He simply gets out-managed when he relies on his gut. You'd think that someone who gets so angry when his line-ups are constantly questioned might take a moment to reflect on why the questions are out there consistently rather than clinging to his stubborn old-school management style.

It's like he keeps running players like Boesch and Kelly out there just for spite.

Walbeck or Nevin IMO.

What the Tigers need is a manager who is up to date on modern managing. Hunchy McHunchyson isn't cutting it anymore when the rest of the league has put a major emphasis on stats. He simply gets out-managed when he relies on his gut. You'd think that someone who gets so angry when his line-ups are constantly questioned might take a moment to reflect on why the questions are out there consistently rather than clinging to his stubborn old-school management style.

It's like he keeps running players like Boesch and Kelly out there just for spite.

I wonder how many managers (major league, minor league, little league) would have had Dirks bunt last night with runners on 1st & 2nd and none out, while everyone else paying attention to the game knew that (1) it was just donating an out and (2) Cabrera was going to be intentionally walked, and one of the few relaible bats in the lineup just got taken away with a runner in scoring position.

I wonder how many managers (major league, minor league, little league) would have had Dirks bunt last night with runners on 1st & 2nd and none out, while everyone else paying attention to the game knew that (1) it was just donating an out and (2) Cabrera was going to be intentionally walked, and one of the few relaible bats in the lineup just got taken away with a runner in scoring position.

That was an ongoing discussion in the game thread from last night.

Ok, after reviewing the situation, I have to agree with the decision for dirks to bunt. Especially with the guarantee that Cabrera would be walked and prince would be up with bases loaded and one out.